Upgrading from 1TB 2.5" SSD to 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, clone or clean install?

SmoocheeWallace

Hello,

I just recently upgraded my PC from 1TB 2.5” SSD (current boot) and 1TB HDD to adding another 1 TB 2.5” SSD and 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. I want to change my boot drive from the old 2.5 inch to the new M.2 NVMe. My question is should I do a clean install, or is using a cloning software the way to go? Are there any benefits of using one method over the other? Also, if I were to do a clean install, what happens to all the data on the old SSD that used to have windows 10 on it? Thanks for the help! I posted this on reddit but didn't get a-lot of responses.

7 minutes ago, SmoocheeWallace said:

if I were to do a clean install, what happens to all the data on the old SSD that used to have windows 10 on it?

you'd still be able to access that data and you could manually copy stuff over onto your new drive, at least that's what I've done every time I've upgreaded my boot drive.

As for whether to clone or do a clean install, I've never tried cloning the drive so I don't have any input here. I know from experience copying stuff over can be a bit annoying, but idk if you'd run into issues cloning either.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Whenever swapping out the drive, it's almost always a better idea to just do a clean install. That way you won't have to deal with all those programs you installed, never to be touched again, and you know everything will just work. That said, you'll have to setup everything again, and some people just can't be asked to do that.

If you're Windows install is within 6 months of install, a clone is probably fine. I recommend Clonezilla to do this, it does a bit for bit transfer from one drive to the other, and works very well. It runs off a bootable USB, and while it's not the absolute most user friendly piece of software, it works exceptionally well and does everything it says it does.

12 hours ago, Adorable Cat said:

you'd still be able to access that data and you could manually copy stuff over onto your new drive, at least that's what I've done every time I've upgreaded my boot drive.

As for whether to clone or do a clean install, I've never tried cloning the drive so I don't have any input here. I know from experience copying stuff over can be a bit annoying, but idk if you'd run into issues cloning either.

OK, so when you create a media device for a usb boot drive for a clean install, the SSD that had windows still keeps all the data that was on it right? Im guessing I should still back it up though correct? Any recommendations on a good free backup software?

8 hours ago, SmoocheeWallace said:

OK, so when you create a media device for a usb boot drive for a clean install, the SSD that had windows still keeps all the data that was on it right? Im guessing I should still back it up though correct? Any recommendations on a good free backup software?

yeah, as long as you don't accidentally install windows in the wrong area (i personally disconnect every drive except my new boot drive when I'm installing windows just so I don't have to worry about that, then I reconnect them after windows is installed.)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15