Best VNC/RDP program for connecting to a Linux host?

Arika

Currently i have my NAS set up under a shelf on my desk connected to one of the outputs of my monitor. When i need to change something on it, i have to change the monitor input to it. But I'm wanting to find a good remote desktop solution that will just make things easier and faster to just connect to, do what i need to, then disconnect. Especially for if i ever want to move it off my desk since i have a HDMI dummy plug for video rendering.

The main programs i know about don't appear to work on a Linux host, only a linux client.

And no, i do not want SSH, it must be a graphical remote desktop.

And to be nit picky, i want it to be as best quality and as smooth as possible, i've tried some that run at very very low frame rates and/or resolutions, or are jittery as hell when moving things around like a window.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I use RealVNC and TightVNC with not problem.

Just try out any VNC program out there.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I just use x11vnc as server.

You'll need a dummy display plug too. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I have used RealVNC across a Mac, Windows, and a Linux Machine. 

It works superb and you can also a phone or a tablet to connect to them. 

This was happening to me but the performance of VNC does depend on your computer. 

When comparing VNC on my Linux machine that runs an Intel Q8300 and my 2019 27in i5 Mac, the Mac is smoother but there is no response latency. 

Try it for yourself you might like it. 

• 4 weeks later...

You could try ThinLinc. Its server part runs only on Linux and will provide a full desktop session to the client (and clients are available to windows/linux/osx and even can be accessed through a HTML5 capable web browser). You don't need a dummy plug because it is not going to just mirror the local screen, instead, it's fully virtual and you can resize, use multiple monitors from the client, etc... And it's one of the most smooth and best responsive remote desktop software that I've tried so far, check this comparison that I've made: 

You can also get hardware acceleration for OpenGL applications if you combine it with VirtualGL.