is there a list of X8 DDR4 modules?

sk123

I recently saw the LTT x8 vs x16 video, and honestly I had no idea before. I'm on a journey to find decent ram now after my current G-Skill 32gb (2x 16GB) RGB Neo went bad and have to RMA them (confirmed with testing new modules in the existing setup).

Turns out my RBG Neos were DR x16, and as I understand it, x8 is preferable.

I'm having very little luck finding any modules that aren't some bare PCB 2666 at best, which isn't the best look nor fastest ram out there. Happy with 3000/3200/3600, don't need higher than that, but ideally would like 64GB so 2 sets of 2x16GB would be good so it gives me some redundancy is one module/kit goes bad and I have to RMA it again as it's a ~2-3w turnaround, not great when I'm trying to do work and edit videos.

Side note: does x8 really make any real world difference if video and photo editing which is 99% of what I use my pc for now?

edit: running it on x570 msi tomahawk wifi and r9 3900x, 750w psu with a 2080 super 1TB 970 evo pro.

Edited by sk123
add specs

Actually i think x16 aka more ram ics are prefferable, pretty much the same principle on why small ssds (under 500gb) are slower than large ssds (over 500gb) cause large ssds have more ics which increases speed

Also tridentz neo is not something you want to buy unless you are looking for good overclocking rams cause they are b die rams, go for the cheapest 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl16 rgb rams you can find and make sure to not horribly overpay for rgb

36 minutes ago, sk123 said:

Side note: does x8 really make any real world difference if video and photo editing which is 99% of what I use my pc for now?

It shouldn't really matter for those tasks. What makes x16 RAM worse is that the timings are looser. This mainly impacts tasks that are sensitive to memory latency. Games are a textbook example of a latency sensitive task.

So while you might be able to notice a small decrease in responsiveness while editing, you shouldn't notice a difference once you're actually rendering anything. And frankly, you probably couldn't tell a difference either way.

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Actually i think x16 aka more ram ics are prefferable, pretty much the same principle on why small ssds (under 500gb) are slower than large ssds (over 500gb) cause large ssds have more ics which increases speed

Also tridentz neo is not something you want to buy unless you are looking for good overclocking rams cause they are b die rams, go for the cheapest 3200 cl16 or 3600 cl16 rgb rams you can find and make sure to not horribly overpay for rgb

Actually, x16 RAM has fewer chips on it, as the density has been increased.

12 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Actually, x16 RAM has fewer chips on it, as the density has been increased.

Why the hell are the names so confusing

X16 = single sided

X8 = dual sided?

thanks all for the quick replies. At the time I was gaming a lot so 3600 CL 16 was preferred and got a deal on them, but will probably try to downgrade to CL16 3200 as I doubt the latency or speed is needed is video/photo editing. I probably don't even need 64gb but davinci resolve fusion eats ram for breakfast, so more is nice. I can actually see a few 2Rx8 modules that I managed to find, (some with RGB goodness if that's your thing (kinda is mine, though not the rainbow effects, I like steady colours)) although it seems that generally the industry is phasing them out on all but the most expensive chips?

I found kingston clearly advertise x8 modules on their website, but I'm not sure the difference between 8bit and 16bit ram? can anyone advise?

options I am looking at are 

Fury Beast - https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF436C18BBAK2_32.pdf (3600mhz CL 18 , eight 2Gx8bit (marked as 16bit) 2Rx8)

Fury Beast - https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF432C16BB1AK2_32.pdf (3200mhz CL 16 , 16 1Gx8bit (marked as 8bit) 2Rx8)

Fury Renegage - https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KF436C16RB1AK2_32.pdf (3600mhz CL16, 16 1Gx8bit (marked as 8bit) 2Rx8) 

so is 8bit or 16bit ram better? Again for photo and video editing mainly

and if looking at 4 modules should I go for 1R or 2R? 

Sorry it's just confusing the more you read the more confusing it gets