Nh-u12s vs Dark Rock 4

SpyGuyB

I am going to get my friend a new cpu cooler but need help choosing a cooler. He is running a 2200g currently but will upgrade to 5700g or 5800x. Not much over clocking, except maybe a small clock speed boost. 

(Insert Signature Here)

If u can't check, good rule of thumb is get the shortest cooler possible that's best in it's own class. <160mm for sure, and ideally <155mm.

All of these below are < 160mm, and will work great.

Noctua NH-D15 with front fan removed / NH-D15S / Thermalright PA120 / FC 140 / FS 140 / Cooler Master Masterair MA624. Any of these double tower heatsinks is fully compatible with your memory with the front fan removed (they all have trimmed heatsinks). The difference is 2-3c degrees tops for less noise.

Additionally Thermalright Macho Rev.C / ARO-M14 as well.

And this ones below are < 155mm, and will work great as well (slightly worse):

Scythe Fuma 2, Thermalright Assassin King 120.

If you're looking to squeeze in nice aesthetics and/or ARGB, Assassin King 120 comes with in white ARGB, and Black so a very nice option. PA (Peerless Assassin) 120, FC 140 (Frost Commander), FS 140 (Frost Spirit 140). as well.

The DR4 is better but installation is a bit more difficult. Either would be fine. 

Why are you looking at thee coolers in particular?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The DR4 is better but installation is a bit more difficult. Either would be fine. 

Why are you looking at thee coolers in particular?

Because I’m looking for a good air cooler that’s not too expensive, and I know Noctua is great and be quiet! isn’t bad either.

(Insert Signature Here)

1 minute ago, SpyGuyB said:

Because I’m looking for a good air cooler that’s not too expensive, and I know Noctua is great and be quiet! isn’t bad either.

What case and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, SpyGuyB said:

Both of those offer usually horrible value when compared to Thermalright or Scythe.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:08 AM, Jeppes said:

Both of those offer usually horrible value when compared to Thermalright or Scythe.

Especially Thermalright in the US atm. PA 120 is just unbeatable, and Assassin King 120 and FS 140 / FC 140 are very competitive as well. And u have Black/White/ARGB versions which look nicer than the basic Thermalright or Scythe models.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:08 PM, Jeppes said:

Noctua may be more comparable in value when considering their 6-year warranty and excellent track record with supporting older products with replacements and updated mounting hardware. Their fans have also been known to last long and stay quiet. I'm not sure how exactly Thermalright and Scythe's fans compare but their fans tend to list a shorter MTTF. 

5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Noctua may be more comparable in value when considering their 6-year warranty and excellent track record with supporting older products with replacements and updated mounting hardware. Their fans have also been known to last long and stay quiet. I'm not sure how exactly Thermalright and Scythe's fans compare but their fans tend to list a shorter MTTF. 

Not really. +100% pricing is just insane and the whole mounting update thing will come to an end when more people start to use it. If they saturate the market, all they will do is send free update kits. And of course calling the update kits free is misleading, it is covered in that +100% price premium.