Don't update HP laptops!

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

https://windowsreport.com/windows-11-upgrade-bricked-pc/
So I had my new HP-15s laptop for a week now, got the free Windows 11 upgrade with it. Unfortunatly windows update auto-magically updated my BIOS which killed my W11 installation with a "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" BSOD.
Currently trying to fix it while having a heart attack.
SOLUTION:
Turn on your laptop and hold down F11 for recovery. Say bye bye, to your files and clean install Windows 11. Fortunately all of my files from university are safe in the cloud. Officially too scared to update ever again.

So I had my new HP-15s laptop for a week now, got the free Windows 11 upgrade with it. Unfortunatly windows update auto-magically updated my BIOS which killed my W11 installation with a "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" BSOD.
SOLUTION:
Turn on your laptop and hold down F11 for recovery. Say bye bye, to your files and clean install Windows 11. Fortunately all of my files from university are safe in the cloud. Officially too scared to update ever again.

2 minutes ago, Doctor_GLaDOS said:

Probably better to get to the hospital and worry about the PC later. 🤷‍♂️

On a serious note, just about ANYTHING can cause that BSOD. 

In that link above, there was an edited post on Redit

Exclaimed takes 15 minutes for the bios update to complete.

HP DW1083WM 15 laptop: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15-dw1083wm-1b9s3ua-195122232061-partner

met all Windows 11 requirements.

used installation assistant which worked without issue. checked for windows updates and had a few. one of the updates was a BIOS update. PC restarted and prepared to flash the new BIOS and never started again. my few month old PC wont turn on now.

any ideas or pretty much it is paperweight?

EDIT: issue is resolved. BIOS flashing from Windows 11 update took 15 minutes. Thanks everyone for your help and support.

I would definitely try to update the bios again. Probably in safe mode with networking. (if you can)

The part he doesn't tell us is how he/she got the PC started again to flash the bios. Just that it took 15 minutes and it was good.

Good Luck!

44 minutes ago, Doctor_GLaDOS said:

Officially too scared to update ever again.

Famous last words on: Hacked from Exploits.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, Doctor_GLaDOS said:

SOLUTION:

What in the heck is stopping people from simply having pure boot drive?  Who cares if 11 update bricks the SSD boot drive.  My files are all on the storage SSD.

26 minutes ago, IPD said:

What in the heck is stopping people from simply having pure boot drive?  Who cares if 11 update bricks the SSD boot drive.  My files are all on the storage SSD.

That's not always possible with a laptop which the OP had.

I get it.  It's just that 0 choices prebuilt laptops are foreign to me.  I will always opt for the small boot drive--for many reasons, this being one of them.  Cost is a non-issue at this point.  And I guess it's a carryover habit from the days when many/most were sold with a small SSD and a large HDD.