Cant insert m.2 sata drive

moeischamp
Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

From the looks of it, as well as there already being a M.2 Sata drive in the laptop I'd say you are trying to install a drive into a mobile data card slot only. That slot appears to be for these types(link below) of adapters not storage drives. You could try reseating the other M.2 Sata drive or swapping the existing drive in the laptop so you know how they are supposed to go in and to confirm. Most laptops do not have dual M.2 storage slots, they will have one M.2 storage and one standard Sata with a drive bay or have one or the other. Usually it's only very expensive workstation laptops that have multiple drive bays or M.2 storage slots.

https://www.amazon.com/Module-Replacement-Qualcomm-Wireless-DW5811e/dp/B07S19SQJ3/ref=asc_df_B07S19SQJ3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475750632217&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15080464897879515107&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029954&hvtargid=pla-1058621790461&psc=1

As seen in the picture, i tried to insert this into the m.2 slot but it dorsnt seem to fit, i also dont want to put too much force into it that might break the drive.

received_2875869236057073.jpeg

have you tried inserting the drive the other way? it looks like the keying (the little slots in the drive) match up that way.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

2 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

have you tried inserting the drive the other way? it looks like the keying (the little slots in the drive) match up that way.

I have, it was behaving the same way where it fits in the slot but its not in entirely. No amount of jiggling or force was able to get it in, didnt want to use too much force.

If the drive doesn't fit either way with the sticker on top facing up or the sticker on the bottom I'd say you need to try a different drive. It could be that the slot on the computer is only M.2 Nvme compatible and M.2 Sata drives will not work. The only issue with this I see is that an M.2 Sata drive should be able to fit in an M.2 Nvme slot so the fact that the drive doesn't fit in the slot at all is confusing. I'd maybe double check the specs on the laptop or checkout the manual to see if it is Nvme only or not.

16 minutes ago, moeischamp said:

I have, it was behaving the same way where it fits in the slot but its not in entirely. No amount of jiggling or force was able to get it in, didnt want to use too much force.

By not in entirely what do you mean? Like it goes in but a little bit of the contacts are still visible? Can you take a picture of it in the slot but not all the way so we know what you mean. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

From which angle were you trying to install it at? With M.2s, usually you have to install it at an angle, rather than installing it horizontally(meaning it's installed at an angle and rests at a horizontal angle once installed).

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If the drive doesn't fit either way with the sticker on top facing up or the sticker on the bottom I'd say you need to try a different drive. It could be that the slot on the computer is only M.2 Nvme compatible and M.2 Sata drives will not work. The only issue with this I see is that an M.2 Sata drive should be able to fit in an M.2 Nvme slot so the fact that the drive doesn't fit in the slot at all is confusing. I'd maybe double check the specs on the laptop or checkout the manual to see if it is Nvme only or not.

By not in entirely what do you mean? Like it goes in but a little bit of the contacts are still visible? Can you take a picture of it in the slot but not all the way so we know what you mean. 

i have actually tried and nvme drive on it, and that totally does not fit, however i will try later today to try the drive sticker down again as i may not have done i thoroughly enough. I would also like to add that beside this slot it does say 3g/LTE +M.2 SATA. So i assumed sata drives would work.

2 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

From which angle were you trying to install it at? With M.2s, usually you have to install it at an angle, rather than installing it horizontally(meaning it's installed at an angle and rests at a horizontal angle once installed).

i have tried 30, 20 and 45 but no luck ://

3 minutes ago, moeischamp said:

Odd

9 minutes ago, moeischamp said:

What exact board/laptop is that?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

46 minutes ago, moeischamp said:

As seen in the picture, i tried to insert this into the m.2 slot but it dorsnt seem to fit, i also dont want to put too much force into it that might break the drive.

received_2875869236057073.jpeg

It does seem to me that that is no m.2 b & m  key port it looks like a m.2 b-key. They are not compatible if i remember correctly. And yours seems to be a b & m sata ssd so it will never fit. 

https://superuser.com/questions/1303299/can-you-connect-an-m-2-sata-to-an-m-2-nvme-port

5 minutes ago, moeischamp said:

i have actually tried and nvme drive on it, and that totally does not fit, however i will try later today to try the drive sticker down again as i may not have done i thoroughly enough. I would also like to add that beside this slot it does say 3g/LTE +M.2 SATA. So i assumed sata drives would work.

If neither an M.2 Sata or M.2 Nvme will fit it's not for them. What the slot is labeled as is a Mini Pcie slot for 3G/LTE mobile data cards. It is labeled as a +M.2 Sata but if neither an M.2 Sata or Nvme fit it may only be for the Mobile Data Card. Have you installed M.2 drives before or is this your first time? The only thing it could be besides the slot not being compatible with M.2 Storage drives is that you are attempting to install the card wrong, some M.2 drives need to be installed at the angle of the slot mainly on laptops the M.2 slots are not angled install, you have to install the drive by sliding it into the slot while flat with the board not at any angle.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

6 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

What exact board/laptop is that?

Its the metabox p650p-g, its basically a clevo shell rebranded.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If neither an M.2 Sata or M.2 Nvme will fit it's not for them. What the slot is labeled as is a Mini Pcie slot for 3G/LTE mobile data cards. It is labeled as a +M.2 Sata but if neither an M.2 Sata or Nvme fit it may only be for the Mobile Data Card. Have you installed M.2 drives before or is this your first time? The only thing it could be besides the slot not being compatible with M.2 Storage drives is that you are attempting to install the card wrong, some M.2 drives need to be installed at the angle of the slot mainly on laptops the M.2 slots are not angled install, you have to install the drive by sliding it into the slot while flat with the board not at any angle.

Its my first time, there is another m.2 sata drive running as boot drive when i purchased the laptop. Its also a laptop where i have to fully remove the back panel to access everything.

4 minutes ago, Mindbroken said:

It does seem to me that that is no m.2 b & m  key port it looks like a m.2 b-key. They are not compatible if i remember correctly. And yours seems to be a b & m sata ssd so it will never fit. 

https://superuser.com/questions/1303299/can-you-connect-an-m-2-sata-to-an-m-2-nvme-port

Actually they are, at least somewhat. Only some M.2 slots from before Nvme was a thing have issues with fitting Nvme drives as they had tabs for both the M and B cut outs on the Sata M.2 and Nvme only has the M cutout so it was physically impossible for it to fit. However, newer slots only have the M key slot so both Nvme and Sata will work it's up to the firmware if they are compatible or not. This appears to be a newer M.2 slot as it doesn't have the two tabs only the one on the left hand side of the slot. So it should be a standard M.2 slot however with it being a 3G/LTE slot it might not be compatible with either as from what I'm seeing it looks to be smaller than the drive itself. 

33 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

By not entirely i mean that it goes in the slot a little bit, but pins are exposed if u know what i mean, and so i tried to jiggle it in and use very small force but it wouldn't budge, unfortunately i didnt take a pic of that but i can in a while when i open it up again.

From the looks of it, as well as there already being a M.2 Sata drive in the laptop I'd say you are trying to install a drive into a mobile data card slot only. That slot appears to be for these types(link below) of adapters not storage drives. You could try reseating the other M.2 Sata drive or swapping the existing drive in the laptop so you know how they are supposed to go in and to confirm. Most laptops do not have dual M.2 storage slots, they will have one M.2 storage and one standard Sata with a drive bay or have one or the other. Usually it's only very expensive workstation laptops that have multiple drive bays or M.2 storage slots.

https://www.amazon.com/Module-Replacement-Qualcomm-Wireless-DW5811e/dp/B07S19SQJ3/ref=asc_df_B07S19SQJ3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475750632217&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15080464897879515107&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029954&hvtargid=pla-1058621790461&psc=1

15 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

U apear to be correct, i have just tried both ways as u can see from the picture and i dont think there is anyway for it to be installed. I guess this is totally my fault for being so dumb and thinking that it  m.2 sata ssd would fit while completely ignoring the first part saying 3g/lte. Thank you very much for your time and help.

20211011_224125.jpg

20211011_224147.jpg