Windows 10 blocking me from 5.1 Audio

jwsplatjw

System

ASUS TUF X570

AMD 5950X

NVIDIA 3070

I got this new pc from a system integrator, Cyberpower PC (Do not give them any of your money).

I plug my video card directly into my SAMSUNG Series 8 65 inch 4k display.

I plug the Optical from the audio out directly to my McIntosh MX121.

I cannot choose anything other than 2.0 sound.

I tried plugging in discrete cables i.e. the 3.5 mm to RCA cables in the colour coded output jacks on the mother board.

This created an issue of it's own, a humming sound that changed in frequency with the frame rate. It only occurred while I was playing games. Humankind has an option to lock frame rate and a slider so it was possible to hear the frequency change as I moved the slider. I could lock the FPS at 10 and not hear the hum but I did not by this system to play games at 10 FPS.

I contacted CYBERPOWER PC to resolve the issue. They were/are completely useless, they have my money now so screw me I guess. Their support took over a week to respond to me and only after I sent two salty emails their way. Then they didn't know the issue aka didn't read the form they had me fill out for support. Then went through the most basic of trouble shooting steps with me like have you tried turning it off and back on again? or Do you have the up to date drivers installed? Really? Then they said oh well it must be your motherboard. Then closed the support ticket. So zero help from these guys, so IMHO never give them any of your money.

Anyways, I am hoping the crowd at LTT have come across this and have a solution.

Please note, on my old system, I did the same set up with the same cables (not discrete) and the audio was just fine 5.1 audio on all my streaming, games, and video watching. 

Somehow upgrading has been an audio downgrade.

Google searches lead me to believe it is because my tv EDID is sending the video card a signal that says 4k 60 Hz 2.0 audio.

I have tried using online tools to change the ini file to 5.1 audio to no avail.

I have tried buying a box to place in series with my HDMI to the tv to spoof the EDID to 5.1 still no joy.

When I had the discrete cables plugged in it would output 5.1 but with such a distracting hum linked to FPS it was un-useable.

Any suggestions to get this to work?

Edited by jwsplatjw
Fix typo

connect hdmi to your avr. (dual monitor) youll get better 5.1 surround anyways that way. optical is funny with win 10. sometimes it sends surround otherwise stereo.

not even sure installing the windows store dolby app will fix it but you can try that also

Optical cable can only support stereo PCM. Not too sure how people used to get 5.1 working on windows 7 (maybe someone can explain on that) my guess is it had to be converted to Dolby or DTS first via a software then it sends over to AVR. If your motherboard has Realtek audio then you could try a modded driver or otherwise buy a sound card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect support.

You can also connect your GPU directly to your AVR via HDMI if it has another HDMI output slot (or DP to HDMI converter should be fine). The problem would be having another display enabled so you could workaround with duplicating your display or extending it, but you can't disable it or else you'll lose HDMI audio.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

10 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

Optical cable can only support stereo PCM. Not too sure how people used to get 5.1 working on windows 7 (maybe someone can explain on that) my guess is it had to be converted to Dolby or DTS first via a software then it sends over to AVR. If your motherboard has Realtek audio then you could try a modded driver or otherwise buy a sound card with Dolby Digital Live or DTS connect support.

You can also connect your GPU directly to your AVR via HDMI if it has another HDMI output slot (or DP to HDMI converter should be fine). The problem would be having another display enabled so you could workaround with duplicating your display or extending it, but you can't disable it or else you'll lose HDMI audio.

Optical audio connections support the following audio formats

Lossless 2.0 (stereo) PCM audio

Compressed Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 and Dolby Digital EX

Compressed DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

getting win 10 to work it the way you want now a days can be temperamental (it used to work just fine, something changed)
hence just better to use hdmi (better 5.1) or a sound card that can use optical right but added cost

optical-coaxial-supported-audio-formats.jpg

15 hours ago, circeseye said:

Optical audio connections support the following audio formats

Lossless 2.0 (stereo) PCM audio

Compressed Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 and Dolby Digital EX

Compressed DTS Digital Surround, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

getting win 10 to work it the way you want now a days can be temperamental (it used to work just fine, something changed)
hence just better to use hdmi (better 5.1) or a sound card that can use optical right but added cost

optical-coaxial-supported-audio-formats.jpg

That's a great summary there, I wish this picture is on audio's FAQ.

Also, forgot to add that multichannel analog can be a hit-or-miss in terms of electrical interference. And even if it works, most AVR only amplify sound; it won't process audio enhancements like Audyssey EQ, bass management etc, instead it needs to be adjusted within sound's software. I haven't touched Realtek in so long I don't know what features it currently has, but much rather use HDMI audio and let AVR do the work.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

LTT community for the win.

I bought a DP to HDMI and plugged it in and whamo! 5.1 sound

Thanks for the assist!