Noctua U12a good enough for a 5800x?

maizenblue

I prefer air but Im tired of big honking heat sinks that get in the way of everythingand create clearance issues. 

The U12a seems like the answer to my problems but i hear mixed things about its actual cooling ability with a beast like the 5800x. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

With PBO off you'll be fine.

And with PBO on?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Other smaller tower coolers you can consider:

scythe mugen 5 (non black version)

Thermalright silver soul 135 

Arctic freezer 34 esports duo

The nhu12a should have enough thermal performance for the 5800x. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the u12a but kept my 3700x. I had a noticeable improvement in temps. The d15s with two fans got me about 68-75c while gaming in say warzone while my u12a gets me 59 to 65c, so should be fine for a 5800x if i upgrade. 

Maybe i mounted it better or my minor mobo upgrade helped with temps too. Hard to believe a smaller cooler works better, but the u12a is a beast. Worth the money. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 5800x with a NH-U12A, and under max load, the CPU isn't able to reach max turbo on all cores. I don't know if it was just a bad thermal paste application, but I am only able to get to 4.5 GHz before it hits 90C. While gaming and streaming simultaneously, the temperatures are around 80C, but I'm still a little disappointed in the all core performance.