Motherboard/CPU Swap

I will be upgrading my pc's motherboard from a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H to a Gigabyte B450 AUROS ELITE. I will also be changing my CPU from a Ryzen 3 3200g to a Ryzen 5 1600 AF (I'm not sure if CPU swap has any effect).

What I would like to know is what do I need to do either before or after the swap to make sure everything runs smooth and is functioning the way it is supposed to, as well as making sure I don't lose any files or data. Is there anything in Windows that needs to be checked, will I need to manually install motherboard drivers, will my windows license still be functioning properly, etc?

I believe the license is tied to the motherboard. Not sure if you can carry the license over, unless you have the key at hand. Others here would know.

As for the CPU swap. Why do you technically want to downgrade? Ryzen 3000 is technically better since it's newer. The only benefit you will get is 4>6 cores, but the single core performance is slower. The Ryzen 5 1600 is cheaper than the 3200G. I suggest you get at least a Ryzen 3000 CPU if you want to upgrade. Maybe the Ryzen 5 3600 or even go Ryzen 5000 if you can.

The motherboard upgrade is good, you get more connectivity and OC options.

12 minutes ago, Scoop01 said:

I will be upgrading my pc's motherboard from a Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H to a Gigabyte B450 AUROS ELITE. I will also be changing my CPU from a Ryzen 3 3200g to a Ryzen 5 1600 (I'm not sure if CPU swap has any effect).

What I would like to know is what do I need to do either before or after the swap to make sure everything runs smooth and is functioning the way it is supposed to, as well as making sure I don't lose any files or data. Is there anything in Windows that needs to be checked, will I need to manually install motherboard drivers, will my windows license still be functioning properly, etc?

What @FRDsaid is technically true. The Windows license might not automatically transfer over due to the motherboard change. However, the activation troubleshoot button has a way to deal with this and in some cases you can deactivate the old config and user the license on the new one if you have a Microsoft account logged into your older machine first. Having a Microsoft account links it to the account rather than to the computer itself.

As for other things to consider, It's probably a good idea to download and install the drivers for the New Motherboard after you move the drive over, however Windows 10 is pretty good about figuring out new motherboards and it will get enough drivers to at least boot to the desktop.

Also, I agree with @FRD's comments on performance, but if you are looking to know if this will work, the answer is yes after some fiddling with licensing and drivers.

11 minutes ago, FRD said:

I believe the license is tied to the motherboard.

No. You can connect your windows 10 product key with your microsoft account. You could also just write it down before the upgrade and than reactivate it IF it gets deactivated, which i dont think will happen

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

6 hours ago, FRD said:

I believe the license is tied to the motherboard. Not sure if you can carry the license over, unless you have the key at hand. Others here would know.

As for the CPU swap. Why do you technically want to downgrade? Ryzen 3000 is technically better since it's newer. The only benefit you will get is 4>6 cores, but the single core performance is slower. The Ryzen 5 1600 is cheaper than the 3200G. I suggest you get at least a Ryzen 3000 CPU if you want to upgrade. Maybe the Ryzen 5 3600 or even go Ryzen 5000 if you can.

The motherboard upgrade is good, you get more connectivity and OC options.

My main reason for getting the Ryzen 5 1600 AF is because I am also upgrading my graphics card from an RX 570 4gb to a GTX 1660 Ti. I did some research and found that the new GPU with my current CPU will result in a 10% CPU bottleneck, but with the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, there would be a 1% CPU bottleneck. I used https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ to find this. Is that website accurate?

On amazon, a Ryzen 5 1600 is only $160, whereas a Ryzen 5 3600 is going to be around $300, and I don't want to spend that much money.

Would you recommend I stick with my current CPU, buy the 1600 AF, or is there another option that is <$200 that will work better?

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

No Ryzen 1600 AF or 2600(X) available?

Sorry, the Ryzen 1600 AF is the one I am getting, and a 2600 is $250, too much for me.

On 10/10/2021 at 1:12 AM, Scoop01 said:

My main reason for getting the Ryzen 5 1600 AF is because I am also upgrading my graphics card from an RX 570 4gb to a GTX 1660 Ti. I did some research and found that the new GPU with my current CPU will result in a 10% CPU bottleneck, but with the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, there would be a 1% CPU bottleneck. I used https://pc-builds.com/calculator/ to find this. Is that website accurate?

On amazon, a Ryzen 5 1600 is only $160, whereas a Ryzen 5 3600 is going to be around $300, and I don't want to spend that much money.

Would you recommend I stick with my current CPU, buy the 1600 AF, or is there another option that is <$200 that will work better?

I have never used that site, but usually they are just estimates. In the real world it could be different after all.

If I were you I would try with the new GPU first, before buying a new CPU. You're upgrading with 2 cores, but also downgrading 2 generations of Ryzen.

Try with the GPU and benchmark if you can or watch some YouTube videos of the parts you plan to use. You will know if the CPU will reach 100% or not.

Those Amazon prices are brand new prices I assume? Ryzen 1000 and 2000 are a bit older now and not readily available everywhere like Ryzen 3000, 5000.

The 1600 is a decent price, still a bit expensive though. The 3600 is too expensive for sure, in here I can get a 5600X new for that price.

Did you consider buying a used CPU? Not sure about there, but a 1600 AF should be $100 max, 2600 around $100-125, 3600 around $150-175.

For under $200 the Ryzen 1600 AF or 2600 are your best bets. Make sure you get 6 cores and not the weaker 4 core Ryzen 1500X/1600 non AF.

Only if you could get the 3600 for under $200, that would be the best price to performance.