Developers Publicly Criticze Nvidia's GameWorks Program on Twitter For Its "BlackBox" Nature.

Mantle is closed/proprietary for now, end of story. No idea why people want to compare a game effect to an API, compare it with TressFX which is open source you dumb shit.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Again, I really don't understand where this strange idea that AMD is open comes from.

Because if Nvidia is the bad guy, AMD automatically is the white knight. 

Till the day Mantle has a free license, its closed. End of story.

People don't understand that you can't have a grey area between open and closed. Either you are, or you aren't. Nvidia has no problems accepting they are closed. Why should they really give a shit otherwise? AMD parrots this "open" myth as if it means anything and fanboys on either side lap it up.

But I guess they need to justify their 500 dollar GPU purchase somehow, and what better way than to join the side of the company they support and then proceed to spew garbage on the internet. 

I don't get it why do devs even use gameworks if it's this bad ? Maybe Nvidia just requires its the way its meant to be played partners to implement it.

I don't get it why do devs even use gameworks if it's this bad ? Maybe Nvidia just requires its the way its meant to be played partners to implement it.

In Assassin's creed 4 black flag I ended up disabling all of the gameworks stuff.

HBAO is faster than SSAO but doesn't look as accurate so I don't use it. The soft shadows were very buggy too so I didn't use them.

I had to disable physx because the smoke coming out of the cannons and guns would blind you and get you killed.

So all the gameworks stuff ended up being unused because it was frankly unusable.

So how is this different to mantle?

In every way possible. Mantle is free and any company can optimize their GPU for mantle and modify the code. This is completely closed and cannot be touched to improve performance for any GPU vendor except nvidia

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

In every way possible. Mantle is free and any company can optimize their GPU for mantle and modify the code. This is completely closed and cannot be touched to improve performance for any GPU vendor except nvidia

Please stop saying Mantle is free. It's not. It's proprietary and closed source, just like for example PhysX.

Please stop saying Mantle is free. It's not. It's proprietary and closed source, just like for example PhysX.

Yeah it's not open source and a better word would be open vendor because they are perfectly fine with letting nvidia use it

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Yeah it's not open source and a better word would be open vendor because they are perfectly fine with letting nvidia use it

But its not OPEN.

You don't get halfway. You either have your code up on Github or you don't. 

Even Nvidia can say "If AMD wants to use it, we can post our code sometime soon". Does that makes them open?

Once again, till the day AMD throws Mantle code out there for free without anyone asking for it, it isn't open. End of story. 

But its not OPEN.

You don't get halfway. You either have your code up on Github or you don't. 

Even Nvidia can say "If AMD wants to use it, we can post our code sometime soon". Does that makes them open?

Once again, till the day AMD throws Mantle code out there for free without anyone asking for it, it isn't open. End of story. 

Exactly, and even if AMD allows Nvidia to use it, we don't know under what conditions. AMD has full control over Mantle. They might demand money for it, or that Nvidia gives them something in return, or that Nvidia have to change stuff that would affect the performance in a negative way, or something like that. Just saying "oh but other companies can use it if they want and comply with our demands" does not make something open.

I have used AMD and Nvidia cards. I support both companies equally and hate both equally. 

Why?

I love Nvidia's Physx but hate their pricing of cards

I love AMD because their cards are generally great "bang for buck" however I hate them for their software shortcomings like crappy drivers that don't work.

At the end of the day Nvidia is a company and companies are dirty and corrupt in their own little ways, it doesn't matter who it is.. they ALL are.

So that means Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Apple etc etc etc are all exactly the same as each other. They all just have unique ways of displaying it. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

• 1 month later...

I love AMD because their cards are generally great "bang for buck" however I hate them for their software shortcomings like crappy drivers that don't work.

bit of a late reply but...

if you read the original article you would find this bad boy

AMD attempted to provide Warner Bros. Montreal with code to improve Arkham Origins performance in tessellation, as well as to fix certain multi-GPU problems with the game. The studio turned down both. Is this explicitly the fault of GameWorks? No, but it’s a splendid illustration of how developer bias, combined with unfair treatment, creates a sub-optimal consumer experience.

Under ordinary circumstances, the consumer sees none of this. The typical takeaway from these results would be “Man, AMD builds great hardware, but their driver support sucks.”

what you said about the drivers is like the "perfect" example of what this quote says. you automatically thing "AMD drivers suck"

if you read that article, you will find out why you think that but really it isnt AMD fault. they dont have access to the code so therefore they cannot optimize it as well and fix things.

seriously, read the article

bit of a late reply but...

if you read the original article you would find this bad boy

what you said about the drivers is like the "perfect" example of what this quote says. you automatically thing "AMD drivers suck"

if you read that article, you will find out why you think that but really it isnt AMD fault. they dont have access to the code so therefore they cannot optimize it as well and fix things.

seriously, read the article

Seriously I don't need to read anything because from personal experience AMD drivers do down right suck.

I had a 7990 and not once did Crossfire work correctly with it, any drivers I would install would disable the 2nd GPU and if I tried to play something like Crysis 3 it resulted in horrible FPS when I know that card can play it at max settings.

So no, my comment still stands.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Seriously I don't need to read anything because from personal experience AMD drivers do down right suck.

I had a 7990 and not once did Crossfire work correctly with it, any drivers I would install would disable the 2nd GPU and if I tried to play something like Crysis 3 it resulted in horrible FPS when I know that card can play it at max settings.

Not once? that PEBCAK.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

omfg, if u read it, it explains why u got fucking shit driver. it will tell you why AMD gives out shit drivers. you say i think this and then i try to prove you wrong and then you say no and you still think your right without looking at my god damn proof.

Also both crossfire and SLI, are not that good. both of them have problems with many games, and many games require you to turn SLI or crossfire off for better experience. why do you think battlefield doesnt support them?

it might be amazing in some games and getting the extra Vram and MhZ is awesome yeah but they dont work that well. i know from experience btw (SLI experience btw)

but i agree with you. the game you are talking about probably has driver issues that are AMDs fault entirely. but the argument here is that Nvidia is being a bastard for certain games the sponsor or whatever like watchdogs, batman origin....

also by original article i meant this

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/93564-how-nvidias-gameworks-program-will-affect-gaming/