Samsung Android upgrades

pythonmegapixel

I'm vaguely considering something like a Samsung Tab S6 Lite for note-taking purposes. I see that this device was originally released with Android 10 but can now be upgraded to Android 11.

Does this mean that if I go out and buy one now, in 2021, it will come with Android 11? The reason I ask this is that it is essential that I have a device which is Android 10 or earlier because my school's WiFi network uses a deprecated protocol which doesn't work in versions later than 10. (Believe me when I say that asking them to switch to a better protocol is going to achieve precisely nothing).

I guess the alternative to it coming with 11 is probably it upgrading to 11 immediately after you first switch it on. Is there anything that will prevent it from doing this? (Presumably it won't be able to it I refuse to connect to a network during the initial setup process, but will Android still permit this?)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

9 minutes ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

It would depend on the date it has been manufactured.

Any way of finding that out before buying? It's a bit useless if you can buy a device and have literally no idea what software you're getting until it's out of the box and you can no longer return it.

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

1 hour ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Any way of finding that out before buying? It's a bit useless if you can buy a device and have literally no idea what software you're getting until it's out of the box and you can no longer return it.

Im assuming you are buying it online, could you send us the the store link? Maybe it says something in the description or somewhere else.

But as @Grand Admiral Thrawn previously said, if a device is released with android 10, i seriously doubt any store would go out of their way to open and update each device to the new version available. Thats the buyers job.