Dying RGB LED on a Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (non XT)

Anyone else having this issue? I'm just past 1 month after the manufacturer's 2 year warranty.

The RGB LED for "P" switch has deteriorated and is now noticeably less bright compared to all the other LED's.
I remember having this issue for the same LED switch within a year of purchase but at that time, it only persisted for a few days/weeks.

I mostly have the LED's set on a static primary colour and just cycle through different ones on a per week basis so the defect is very noticeable for my use case.

It also looks like the LED's on these are directly soldered into the PCB motherboard - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/corsair-k95-platinum/4.html
Any recommendations on the best type of RGB LED to replace it with?

P switch led issue - keycap removed.jpg

P switch led issue - keycap on.jpg

Edited by Brando Braganza

If you eager to do it, you actually can do it by yourself using soldering iron, yet, otherwise, let someone that's experienced in microsoldering do it for you if you're uncomfortable for doing it yourself.

The warranty's out anyway. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

On 10/7/2021 at 4:15 PM, TukangUsapEmenq said:

If you eager to do it, you actually can do it by yourself using soldering iron, yet, otherwise, let someone that's experienced in microsoldering do it for you if you're uncomfortable for doing it yourself.

The warranty's out anyway. 

@TukangUsapEmenq That was exactly my plan and the reason why I reached out to Corsair Support.

I wanted to get at least the bare details of the technical specs for the SMD LED since I could do it using my own soldering tools although the most I did soldering wise was replace a mouse switch/clicker.

Lucky for me, Corsair Email Tech Support for some reason thought it would be better to process a "courtesy exception" RMA so I'm now looking forward to a KB refresh lol!
I guess NOT having any authorized Corsair repair centers through their authorized Distributor/Reseller here in the Philippines worked in my favor.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...