PSU for home server

Liam Ianto

I currently have a dell t610 that I've modified running as a home server with 50tb for my plex, CCTV, home automation and a few VM's. I'm moving away from this to build a rack mount server with standard parts instead of going the enterprise route. My t610 was supplied by 2x 800w PSUs that made one hell of a noise.

Can anyone recommend a standard form factor PSU that would be rated to run 24/7? The load won't be high so anything over 500w would cover it, I'm just not sure if a normal over the shelf PSU would be good enough for this task.

Don't overthink it.  Just get something A or B tier with a 7+ year warranty.  Bonus for your case would be platinum or titanium being you run it 24/7 you might see the savings in the long run, also maybe an eco mode/switch.

Ryzen 5800X | 7800XT | 32GB 3600MHz Ripjaws | Superflower Leadex III 750w

On 10/1/2021 at 8:57 PM, Liam Ianto said:

I currently have a dell t610 that I've modified running as a home server with 50tb for my plex, CCTV, home automation and a few VM's. I'm moving away from this to build a rack mount server with standard parts instead of going the enterprise route. My t610 was supplied by 2x 800w PSUs that made one hell of a noise.

Can anyone recommend a standard form factor PSU that would be rated to run 24/7? The load won't be high so anything over 500w would cover it, I'm just not sure if a normal over the shelf PSU would be good enough for this task.

Other than redundancy, enterprise PUS's really aren't any more special than a quality consumer unit. Just grab something trustworthy and you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using my old PC as donor parts which had a pretty good PSU in it. Can't remember the brand but it was 600W Gold.

It's all gone into a 4U rackmount server with specs:

Ryzen 2600X
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

32GB DDR4 3200mhz

GTX1660 6GB

8 x 10TB Ironwolf Pro drives

2TB Kingston A400 Cache drive

1TB Samsung 960 NVME

It's a hell of an upgrade compared to my old server. I don't really care about eh efficiency of the PSU I just didn't want to go down the route of being a cheap eBay one and having it catch fire or something.

Cheers guys.