Found an old VN Subwoofer

kennethk

Hey guys found a old subwoofer by vm sadly missing most the speakers I noticed my soundbar and subwoofer both have a coax port I'm wondering if I could pair the two or it just wouldn't work that way. 

I have zero experience with coaxial cable audio.  I only know RCA plug, 3.5mm plug, blade/u-plug, and bare wire connectors.

Presumably, your sub would be reliant upon the signal from your soundbar, so you'd have to check the specs on your soundbar to make sure it supports a sub (or if it originally had one, if it will work with other makes/models).

Keep in mind that all "prefab" systems are designed around a certain wattage for their components.  If your system was designed to work with a 100 watt (RMS) sub, and you put a 50 watt (RMS) sub on there, you'll probably blow it in no time.  Conversely, if it was designed for 100 watt and you put a 400 watt sub on there, you'll likely never get the quality out of it that you want.

Many of the same rules of thumb from car audio apply to home audio as well.  You generally want a pre-amp out and a dedicated sub amp--if you are going bigger on your sub.