Would a Ryzen 5 1400 still work on a b450 motherboard?

Hello all,

My friend has a b350 motherboard at the moment that has an issue running more than 1 stick of RAM. Both RAM sticks they have work fine on their own, but when both RAM sticks are installed in any valid configuration, the system won't even boot. So, he's decided to get a new motherboard.

Problem: how can I make sure the BIOS of the board they buy (b450 chipset) would definitely work with their Ryzen 5 1400 CPU? I know that after certain BIOS updates, CPU support may fall off, particularly if a b450 board has a BIOS that supports Ryzen 5000 CPUs.

Currently I am looking at the ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PLUS II board since it has BIOS flashback, so in theory I could flash the BIOS back to one that works with the Ryzen 5 1400 if the BIOS is too new. I didn't see any warnings that the BIOS couldn't be flashed back to a previous version when I was browsing Asus' product support page for this motherboard.

Is my thought process good on this, or am I missing something?

-Darkroe

In my experience its the cpu that has trouble with ram. I have an MSI b350m mortar that would not play nice with a 1600 and 2400g (both first gen) but it has been running a 2600 without any issues on 3000mhz dual channel ram.

What motherboard does your friend have exactly? It might be more expensive, but maybe it's better to get a 2000 or 3000 series cpu. 1000 series has tons of ram issues.

Edited by Forfaxify
typos

20 minutes ago, Forfaxify said:

In my experience its the cpu that has trouble with ram. I have an MSI b350m mortar that would not play nice with a 1600 and 2400g (both first gen) but it has been running a 2600 without any issues on 3000mhz dual channel ram.

What motherboard does your friend have exactly? It might be more expensive, but maybe it's better to get a 2000 or 3000 series cpu. 1000 series has tons of ram issues.

They have an Asus Prime b350M-A motherboard. The RAM sticks have been working fine since late 2017, and only recently started having issues, hence why I think it's the motherboard. I don't suspect a corrupt BIOS since I installed a fresh BIOS only to encounter the same issues without fail. I also saw that others encountered the same issue with this particular motherboard, and just upgraded to a b450 board to fix their issue.

One other thing I forgot to mention: the RAM isn't being OCd at the moment. When DOCP is enabled, the system has issues (which I attribute to Ryzen gen 1 being...picky), but ran fine before with stock RAM speeds in dual channel. So for the RAM to suddenly start having issues is weird, especially since CPUs don't typically degrade like that, especially ones that pull only 65W (and never get above 69 C in my friend's system under synthetic full load).

I've definitely considered recommending they get a newer CPU, but their budget is pretty tight, since they're full-time in University, and have the budget for a new motherboard right now. Fortunately, they can run a single stick of RAM without issue, but it definitely slows down their performance when they want to relax after studying and play games.

Ryzen first gen isn't picky, it's a ddr4 first for AMD, so it only supports up to 2667mt/s Jedec or XMP.

Zen+ 2nd gen is up to 2933 and zen2 and 3 3200mt/s.

I would reevaluate the issue with testing another kit of memory, but stay within the memory controller limit of 2667mt/s or just use the current set at this frequency or lower.

GL

In normal times, the best move would be to upgrade the CPU itself to see if that can fix it while also offering a decent upgrade. Are there any reasonable prices for a 2600, 3300X, 3600, 1700, 2700, or 3700X in your region?