Windows XP CD Drive isn’t reading discs

Go to solution Solved by da na,

Yeah, you can get a new drive for $5 at a yard sale but even new ones are findable for under $30

I can hear the drive try to read the disc and even see the disc symbol on the mouse. But won’t actually read it. Should I just replace the drive or is there a way to fix it? 

- tried checking cable connections and reinstall drivers 

I would replace the drive, they're cheap.  Assuming the disc is clean and scratch-free.

this is an old fix when i used to work in a repair shop  maybe worth a shot  was very common  on  xp  

this is straight from Microsoft  
open regedit  

1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Alert iconWarning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.

2. If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

3. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

4. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

1 hour ago, swallace said:

this is an old fix when i used to work in a repair shop  maybe worth a shot  was very common  on  xp  

this is straight from Microsoft  
open regedit  

1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Alert iconWarning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.

2. If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

3. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

4. If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

Unfortunately don’t see “upperfilters” or “lowerfilters” but thanks for the advice 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, you can get a new drive for $5 at a yard sale but even new ones are findable for under $30

Ya just need a beige colored drive to match the system and has to be IDE, but ya was thinking I’d have to buy one but just wanted to check to be sure