My pfsense router is not seeing the internet after switching to it with my isp

Go to solution Solved by Leumas_Simeb,

Good evening everyone,

I've got an issue with a new pfsense router I'm setting up in my apartment and I'm wondering if you might be able to and interested in giving me a hand with an issue I'm having. 

I have ESXi running on one of my servers, and a vm of pfsense on that. 

My ISP locks each apartment down to one MAC address per apartment, so this evening I gave them a call and changed the MAC address to the one on the dedicated NIC I'll be using for my WAN interface. 

I set up pfsense so it's all up and running and visible on the LAN, however for some reason I can't figure out, It won't connect to the WAN.

If you have any ideas, it would be greatly

appreciated!

Here's the breakdown of the setup:

My isp jack is plugged into a dedicated single port 1gig NIC with the MAC ending in 63:e3.

I have ESXi set with only pfsense using that NIC.

In the virtual switch, I made sure the mac address is the same one that ends in 63:e3

In pfsense, I set it up to be the gateway with the wan port being the NIC that ends in 63:e3, and made sure to set the MAC address in pfsense to 63:e3. 

On a completely different NIC, I set up the lan.

Pfsense boots, acts normal, can manage everything on the lan, but can't connect to the WAN. 

I can see pfsense receives one packet from my isp, as pfsense keeps sending more and more.

I have tried everything I can think of however it still won't connect, and my isp is absolute that it's not on their end.

Thank you so much for you time!

Samuel

Good evening everyone,

I've got an issue with a new pfsense router I'm setting up in my apartment and I'm wondering if you might be able to and interested in giving me a hand with an issue I'm having. 

I have ESXi running on one of my servers, and a vm of pfsense on that. 

My ISP locks each apartment down to one MAC address per apartment, so this evening I gave them a call and changed the MAC address to the one on the dedicated NIC I'll be using for my WAN interface. 

I set up pfsense so it's all up and running and visible on the LAN, however for some reason I can't figure out, It won't connect to the WAN.

If you have any ideas, it would be greatly

appreciated!

Here's the breakdown of the setup:

My isp jack is plugged into a dedicated single port 1gig NIC with the MAC ending in 63:e3.

I have ESXi set with only pfsense using that NIC.

In the virtual switch, I made sure the mac address is the same one that ends in 63:e3

In pfsense, I set it up to be the gateway with the wan port being the NIC that ends in 63:e3, and made sure to set the MAC address in pfsense to 63:e3. 

On a completely different NIC, I set up the lan.

Pfsense boots, acts normal, can manage everything on the lan, but can't connect to the WAN. 

I can see pfsense receives one packet from my isp, as pfsense keeps sending more and more.

I have tried everything I can think of however it still won't connect, and my isp is absolute that it's not on their end.

Thank you so much for you time!

Samuel

How is the virtual switch setup in exsi? Normally its a L2 switch, so you want to give it the virtual nic mac address, not the physical port, as your esxi server is basically working as a switch, not as the device connecting. Don't duplicate the mac in the vm of the physical port, you don't want 2 identical mac on one network.

Id personally have a seperate device for the router, makes it much easier to troubleshoot when the network goes down.

Currently I have the switch and pfsense setup with an identical MAC address. Should they be different? 

Yeah, I would put it on its own hardware, however I don't have anything to spare. 

Alright, I put everything with their own MAC address and the NIC is still set with the MAC address on file with my ISP. However, I still can't connect.