Compute stick - or something similar

Hello there,

My main TV is a nice Panasonic 4K which is not the newest thing on the block but still serves me beautifully. Like many beautiful things, it also has flaws, in this case, FirefoxOS. 

While it looks lovely, moves decently around, it is basically dead and the somewhat skimpy app market just got skimpier with a loss of support for the Plex app. That is annoying, so I am currently looking for a possibility to get the functionality back and am considering options for something of a compute stick or anything similar.

I'd like to ask you guys if you recommend any such things (I'd be biased towards something android based but if better options are out there I'm game).

My conditions would be: 

- decent app market which includes Plex (obviously) but would love to see CuriosityStream and Nebula on there too or any general streaming apps.

- some track record of updates or promises of such a thing (or at least not being run on really old software)

- easy of use with simple navigation, ideally from the TV remote

- decent price? I am not expecting 50 cents but also not interested in going crazy for these perks.

- delivery to Romania.

Whatever the device is, I have USB ports available and HDMI for its connection, with decent Wi-Fi speeds available to it. The TV is currently wired up for LAN but I doubt it can be used by the stick. 

Having recently built a new PC, I do have the older one around for some form HTPC but I would like to avoid that option and go for something as simple to use as possible. So for now, let's not go down the HTPC rabbit hole for starters at least.

Thank you.

Edited by Lupul

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_google_tv?hl=en-US

The Chromecast with Google TV is probably the best option. It basically runs stock android with a TV-oriented launcher, so Plex, Hulu, Netflix, and basically anything that supports Chromecast will function on there. If it's not in the market, you can always download an APK and sideload it, since again, it's just android (it can be buggy doing that though). It supports 4k HDR, has its own remote, and only $50 US. I'm not 100% that it ships to Romania, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. Also, if you want wired LAN, the USB port on it is fully functional, so you can get a dongle to connect Ethernet to it. 

The Chromecast is available in Romania, quite easily, but my perception was that it needs to always be connected to a phone, which I don't really care for. Can it work on its own?

19 minutes ago, Lupul said:

The Chromecast is available in Romania, quite easily, but my perception was that it needs to always be connected to a phone, which I don't really care for. Can it work on its own?

The Chromecast with Google TV comes with its own remote, the regular 4k Chromecast does not. You shouldn't need to connect your phone to it for anything, except maybe the rare app that doesn't work on Google TV but has Chromecast support. 

-> Moved to Home Theatre Equipment

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump the thread but I hope it is useful for other curious folks.

Got the toy, hooked up, set up. all is mostly good.

While I did get my Plex back up and running (the major thing I wanted) and did hook Curiosity Stream up no problem, Nebula is not yet supported in the Store directly and relies on casting.

I can live with it and it is fine, it's just not perfect now (aka a phone free experience).so if it is a platform that matters to you, beware 🙂

Other than that, there's loads to chose from and play with.