PC Randomly Stops Until Force Reboot

xDragonxBornx

My pc will sometimes make an audible click and the display will shut off, and the GPU fans ramp up to 100% and don’t shut off until I force shut off the computer. I know this is not temperature related as it happens sometimes after a few minutes of light tasks and sometimes after weeks of intense gaming. I have also been monitoring the temps throughout and it seems to happen randomly. I have completely formatted and updated the entire computer multiple times so I have deduced it’s not a driver or windows issue. I have also tried using both drives as my boot drives with no changes

My specs are:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

MSI Z170A GAMING M7 LGA 1151

Intel i7 6700k (not overclocked)

2x8GB G.SKILL Trident Series DDR4 3200

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070

Corsair HX 750 (750W 80+ gold)

Toughpower Thermaltake 750W Gold 80plus

WD Blue 4TB HD

WD Blue SSD 500GB (boot drive)

Sounds like your GPU freaking out to me, my recommendation would be to disassemble the card(if you're comfortable with such a thing) and check to see if the thermal paste has hardened or had a poor application as what you say occurs would (to me) indicate an overheating issue. Otherwise, it's very likely the poor lil GPU took a nosedive and needs to be replaced, best way to single out the GPU in this instance is to put it in another PC and see if it crashes.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

I am okay to try that. But another thing I failed to mention is that when it does happen, sometimes it just won’t work (or does it right after another) for a few days, and then not do it for months. Sometimes won’t let me keep my computer on longer than a few minutes even when it’s been without power for days

I took it apart and found that the thermal paste was poorly put on and with very little amount. So I added some more and hopefully it will help out without me having to replace the card 😅

I added a picture of what it looked like when I took the cooler off

AEFC6A83-BEF1-4E6A-9CA5-BAAD7E551848.jpeg

19 minutes ago, xDragonxBornx said:

I took it apart and found that the thermal paste was poorly put on and with very little amount. So I added some more and hopefully it will help out without me having to replace the card 😅

I added a picture of what it looked like when I took the cooler off

AEFC6A83-BEF1-4E6A-9CA5-BAAD7E551848.jpeg

You did clean off what was applied previously instead of just slopping more on I hope? lol.. Just the way you worded your response made me worry about that. Either way, hopefully this does it for you and fixes the problem.

System Specs: (Click Expand)                                              

"Beatrix"

• CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE X570 I AORUS Pro Wi-Fi
  • RAM 2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200mhz CL16
  • GPU Gigabyte Eagle RX 6700XT
  • Case Corsair Crystal 280x
  • Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro (1TB) 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) 1x Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
  • PSU EVGA G5 850W
  • Display(s) 27" Viewsonic XG2705
  • Cooling Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO | 4x QL120 RGB fans | 2x QL140 RGB fans
  • Keyboard Logitech G Pro
  • Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed /w Powerplay
  • Sound Logitech G Pro Wired
  • Operating System Windows 10 Professional 21H1

So I did what was probably not the best thing in the world. I didn’t have any extra laying around, so I kinda just used some from an old PC’s cpu and transferred it over 😅😅 it wasn’t much and I ordered some more to actually replace all the thermal compound. But I’m hoping this will be good enough for a temporary fix until that arrives