Third HDD in Carbide 540 Air

Third Bass Code

I'm got my new Corsair Carbide 540 Air today and started working on it right away.

I knew that it officially only has place for 2 3.5" HDDs, but for a little while I need to use a third HDD as well.

Any ideas/suggestions for a safe, clean solution to this problem?

Buy a 2.5" hard drive/ssd? and put it in the SSD mount in the back

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'm got my new Corsair Carbide 540 Air today and started working on it right away.

I knew that it officially only has place for 2 3.5" HDDs, but for a little while I need to use a third HDD as well.

Any ideas/suggestions for a safe, clean solution to this problem?

if you don't use the front hdd mount at all and get a 3 bay hdd cage and put it in the back of the case it will make your build look much cleaner.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

you could drill some holes in the motherboard tray, and put it there before you put the motherboard in

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Buy a 2.5" hard drive/ssd? and put it in the SSD mount in the back

How can a 3.5" ever fit in a 2.5" slot I wonder.

you could drill some holes in the motherboard tray, and put it there before you put the motherboard in

This is only for a few weeks or so, until I get my new HDD to replace two others (so I'm at a total of 2 again)

Well just lay it somewhere in your rig temporarily @Third Bass Code not much you can do.

Actually I thought of something you could do but I have no idea if it'll work.

Since the HDD's are mounted using the 4 holes on the bottom you could buy silverstones hard drive connector/heatsink to mount more hard drives from the side. @Third Bass Code

TJ04-E-16.jpg

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Well just lay it somewhere in your rig temporarily @Third Bass Code not much you can do.

I agree. If it's only for a couple weeks just have it propped up against something or placed on top of something.  Don't need to get fancy with a 3rd hdd bay if you only need it temporarily.

I agree. If it's only for a couple weeks just have it propped up against something or placed on top of something.  Don't need to get fancy with a 3rd hdd bay if you only need it temporarily.

I just re-edited my posts and there is silverstones heatsink thingy that helps to mount hard drives however its pretty specific and I don't think it might work. Although it could

5 1/4" to 3 1/2" adapter. 

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July