Playstation 3 Overheat on Startup

cannednoodles

Recently, a friend found a PS3 in his basement and gave it to me because he decided it wasn't going to be used. Interested, I accepted and attempted to turn it on. In addition to video coming out properly, the system was quiet on startup, so I thought it was all functional. Until the fan started rapidly getting louder. In the corner of the screen appeared a text box informing me of the system overheating. Approximately 1-2 minutes after first powering on, my PS3 shut itself off. I followed a couple tutorials online to disassemble it and I managed to successfully replace the thermal paste on the large Reality Synthesizer and Cellular Broadband chips. Despite the overheating issue, to my surprise I found no dust in the radiator. After reassembling the console I attempted to power it on again. The problem still occurred and I got the idea to install the latest system software to see if that would fix my problem. Unfortunately, after getting the system software downloaded to the system from a USB stick, the system still shuts itself off before the update can be completely installed. I am considering sending it to an electronics repair place. Are there any other solutions that you can share with me? Might it work to put it in the oven to reflow the solder? Do the old thermal pads need to be replaced? (They feel more like rubber pads than thermal pads) Any help is appreciated.

I would first take it apart again and check for thermal paste spread well. If it didn't it might be mounting pressure issue. New thermal pad maybe helpful. It been a long time since I did a teardown on a ps3. But I did have one were the tension brackets need to be bent to add more tension.