RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra Issue

GhengasKhan

I recently noticed that my GPU keeps dropping down to like mid 40% usage while playing a game for a brief moment then spiking back up.. It hasnt spiked over 70C highest ive clocked it was 67C.. 
I mainly noticed it after I changed ram. 
I've tried to set bios back to defaults, tried to overclock it, downloaded precision X1 and ran the updates etc and scans and it doesnt seem to detect any issues at all.. Fans never spike over 60% usage when on auto and i'm gaming. 

Currently running default bios settings.
CPU: Intel i7-7700K
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
Graphics card: GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800)
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 Ga 80+ Gold
Cooler: Masterliquid 240
Case:NZXT S340 Elite

A spike like that usually indicates a CPU or memory bottleneck of some sort. What games are you noticing it in and can you monitor per core usage in games to see if there's a correlation? What memory kit are you coming from?

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

A spike like that usually indicates a CPU or memory bottleneck of some sort. What games are you noticing it in and can you monitor per core usage in games to see if there's a correlation? What memory kit are you coming from?

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

Mainly BDO, and not sure exactly how to monitor per core usage. my CPU doesnt seem to be spiking to max usage at all and was never an issue before but i suppose it could be an issue.. when i double checked before upgrading to 3070 it shouldnt bottle neck much from my CPU at all. Figured with a ram upgrade too it would nullify any sort of memory bottleneck i was experiencing but i guess i was wrong xD
my memory also doesnt really go over 12-15gb Used (30-50%) when the spike occurs.

13 minutes ago, GhengasKhan said:

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000

Mainly BDO, and not sure exactly how to monitor per core usage. my CPU doesnt seem to be spiking to max usage at all and was never an issue before but i suppose it could be an issue.. when i double checked before upgrading to 3070 it shouldnt bottle neck much from my CPU at all. Figured with a ram upgrade too it would nullify any sort of memory bottleneck i was experiencing but i guess i was wrong xD

That's kinda weird. The RAM upgrade would have fixed it. Maybe it's a driver issue? Have you tried running DDU to eliminate that.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's kinda weird. The RAM upgrade would have fixed it. Maybe it's a driver issue? Have you tried running DDU to eliminate that.

about the only thing i havent tried yet.. i guess thats probably my next step.. 
should i just wipe everything nvidia related and start fresh with drivers? 

- i ran it full default settings.. and reinstalled geforce experience and the drivers.. ill post back with the results tomorrow when i actually test it.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:37 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

so it seems like that fixed the GPU issue.. well I haven't experienced the issue since... however, now it seems like my CPU is maxing out where as it wasn't before lol

• 3 weeks later...

Im having a similar issue, it only happens in online games for some reason but i will see significant frame rate drops all the way to single digits at a seemingly random rate. I havent been able to figure out what causes it but during these massive drops which last on average about 10-20 seconds my gpu usage drops significantly from 90% to sometimes around 40% and i will see a large increase in the cpu usage. During these drops not only does the game act up but i also start stuttering over discord and outside of the game on the desktop it is incredibly stuttery until the gpu goes back to normal usage. 

I initially thought this was a standby ram issue however i have used things such as Rammap and ISLC to deal with that and it has not solved the problem.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

GPU: RTX 3070