10980XE Clocks and CPU-Z error

Nocturn

In CPU-Z my 10980XE starter randomly appearing as a 7980X is that a concern?

Also what can cause a dynamic clock that varies from 3.8 to 4.6, if the all of sets are set to 0, and clock is set at 4.6?

The CPU-Z Specification box reads information directly from the CPU. I have never seen wrong information in that box. The Name box at the top is sometimes wrong. Ignore anything in the Name box. 

image.png.ee50536774c7b5371cba4a8b68eee534.png

12 hours ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

if the all of sets are set to 0

What does that mean? 

Maximum operating frequency in Turbo Boost 2.0 mode is 4.6 GHz for 1 core and 3.8 GHz for all cores

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i9/Intel-Core i9 Extreme Edition i9-10980XE.html

At default settings, Intel CPUs vary the maximum CPU multiplier based on how many cores are active. When all cores are active, a 10980XE will be limited to 3.8 GHz.

You will need to overclock your 10980XE if you want it to run faster than its default Intel spec. When fully loaded, an overclocked 10980XE is going to put out a lot of heat. You will likely need water cooling to keep your CPU from running too hot and thermal throttling.

13 hours ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

In CPU-Z my 10980XE starter randomly appearing as a 7980X is that a concern?

Update cpu-z. The current version is 1.97.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

The CPU-Z Specification box reads information directly from the CPU. I have never seen wrong information in that box. The Name box at the top is sometimes wrong. Ignore anything in the Name box. 

image.png.ee50536774c7b5371cba4a8b68eee534.png

What does that mean? 

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i9/Intel-Core i9 Extreme Edition i9-10980XE.html

At default settings, Intel CPUs vary the maximum CPU multiplier based on how many cores are active. When all cores are active, a 10980XE will be limited to 3.8 GHz.

You will need to overclock your 10980XE if you want it to run faster than its default Intel spec. When fully loaded, an overclocked 10980XE is going to put out a lot of heat. You will likely need water cooling to keep your CPU from running too hot and thermal throttling.

yes, I am OC to 4.8 on Preferred cores, and 4.1 and others, AVX2/512 are both at 0

@Oblivion_Creature If your CPU is slowing down when heavily loaded, try running HWiNFO and check out the reasons for throttling that it reports. It might be a power limit throttling problem if the turbo power limits are set to their default values. 

image.png.f99cf46e6be27f4fe9354c0f7a4663e9.png

18 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@Oblivion_Creature If your CPU is slowing down when heavily loaded, try running HWiNFO and check out the reasons for throttling that it reports. It might be a power limit throttling problem if the turbo power limits are set to their default values. 

image.png.f99cf46e6be27f4fe9354c0f7a4663e9.png

Ok, so I understood what is the issue, but idk how to fix it. It sets the turbo boost clock to 4.6, instead of base clock in XTU

3 hours ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

turbo boost clock to 4.6

That is the proper setting. Intel CPUs use turbo boost to run at maximum speed. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you can adjust your turbo ratios in the BIOS, you do not need to use XTU. 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

That is the proper setting. Intel CPUs use turbo boost to run at maximum speed. What are you trying to accomplish?

If you can adjust your turbo ratios in the BIOS, you do not need to use XTU. 

I want a base I want a base clock of 4.8 with turbo to 5.0ghz, I know it’s possible with this chip, I accidentally reset bios, and now the CPU is stuck at 3.8ghz with turbos higher than that. But I cannot get the base clock to go above 3.8z

5 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

I want a base I want a base clock of 4.8 with turbo to 5.0ghz, I know it’s possible with this chip, I accidentally reset bios, and now the CPU is stuck at 3.8ghz with turbos higher than that. But I cannot get the base clock to go above 3.8z

Are you trying to use "Multi-Core Enhancement" where it is an all-core boost? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are you trying to use "Multi-Core Enhancement" where it is an all-core boost? 

I got it to work randomly once, but my XMP profile on ram was acting up so I removed it. The way I overclocked  using basically the same steps as the LTT overcooking guide for intel a couple of years back.

Both in bios and in Asus AI OC tool I set clocks to 4.8 in performance cores/4.0 normal, but the actual frequency STAYS BELOW 3.8. The only temporary solution that I found was using the All Cores Button in AI tool which forces the cores to ramp up, but that is stable only at 4.1ghz

54 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

I got it to work randomly once, but my XMP profile on ram was acting up so I removed it. The way I overclocked  using basically the same steps as the LTT overcooking guide for intel a couple of years back.

Both in bios and in Asus AI OC tool I set clocks to 4.8 in performance cores/4.0 normal, but the actual frequency STAYS BELOW 3.8. The only temporary solution that I found was using the All Cores Button in AI tool which forces the cores to ramp up, but that is stable only at 4.1ghz

What CPU cooler are you using to tame this beast? How are the temperatures looking?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

16 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

What CPU cooler are you using to tame this beast? How are the temperatures looking?

The Corsair 3-RAD. Want to get the cryo cooler soon to replace it.

98 degrees on all core load, if only the performance cores are loaded 60-62.

and we all enjoy glory shots, so:

3998C1D6-AB3F-4869-9195-3F2806CCEB3B.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

The Corsair 3-RAD. Want to get the cryo cooler soon to replace it.

98 degrees on all core load, if only the performance cores are loaded 60-62.

When I had this processor (before I returned it) and tried to overclock it with just a NH-D15, I've read on other forums of users that have this processor say to stay below 90oC on the cores. You might have to set individual turbo ratios depending on how well each core overclocks. Some BIOS' tell you on a point scale of the core's overclockability. 

34 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

When I had this processor (before I returned it) and tried to overclock it with just a NH-D15, I've read on other forums of users that have this processor say to stay below 90oC on the cores. You might have to set individual turbo ratios depending on how well each core overclocks. Some BIOS' tell you on a point scale of the core's overclockability. 

Thx, just out curiosity, why did you return it?

2 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

Thx, just out curiosity, why did you return it?

Well, I mainly used it for games and AutoCAD/engineering software stopped right now for college, and it sucked. In most cases, my 9800X was better than this. 

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well, I mainly used it for games and AutoCAD/engineering software stopped right now for college, and it sucked. In most cases, my 9800X was better than this. 

Quick question about the OC maybe you can help, it stable until it hits a sudden 100% workload, I am not sure what should I tweak for it to be more stable

voltage is at 1.3.

Because with AVX is starts from going down to 3.7-3.8, and then goes up again to 4-4.2

27 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

Quick question about the OC maybe you can help, it stable until it hits a sudden 100% workload, I am not sure what should I tweak for it to be more stable

voltage is at 1.3.

Because with AVX is starts from going down to 3.7-3.8, and then goes up again to 4-4.2

Do you have any AVX (or AVX-512) offsets? You might have to do -6 through -8, especially if you're crashing. 

For the stability, have you disabled any of those power saver modes (I forgot what they're called, and I'm on the road). 

38 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Do you have any AVX (or AVX-512) offsets? You might have to do -6 through -8, especially if you're crashing. 

For the stability, have you disabled any of those power saver modes (I forgot what they're called, and I'm on the road). 

Yes, that what I meant by "Because with AVX is starts from going down to 3.7-3.8, and then goes up again to 4-4.2", and evyrthing is dissabled. 

Maybe I am missunderstading AVX offset and it only thrtolles it down at the start or no?

39 minutes ago, Oblivion_Creature said:

Yes, that what I meant by "Because with AVX is starts from going down to 3.7-3.8, and then goes up again to 4-4.2", and evyrthing is dissabled. 

Maybe I am missunderstading AVX offset and it only thrtolles it down at the start or no?

Whenever you are using any AVX loads, the offset will adjust the CPU clock multiplier either by for example, the CPU multiplier is at 46x +1 would adjust the ratio from lets say 46x to 47x, or 4600MHz to 4700MHz. Then if you had -8 offset, the multiplier would go from 46x to 38x. That is the purpose of the offset and helps with heat output or stability.