Top 1/4 of displays flickering black

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with the top 1/4 of my displays (I'm running a dual monitor setup[144hz and 240hz]) flickering black periodically as seen in the 5 second video on this thread (

)

After changing my Nvidia panel GPU performance global settings to maximum performance, as suggested on this thread, the flickering became much less frequent, but it still occasionally happens. Would anyone happen to know what could be causing this problem?  I recently had a new rig built (ryzen 5600x, 32gb 3600mhz ram, 750w psu, and a b550 tomahawk motherboard) and swapped in my 2070super from my previous build (intel 7700k, 16gb 2133mhz ram), and then this flickering started. It was not flickering on my previous system. Is this a potential issue between the cpu and display driver compatibility?

Any insight would be appreciated. 

34 minutes ago, cecmahumane said:

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with the top 1/4 of my displays (I'm running a dual monitor setup[144hz and 240hz]) flickering black periodically as seen in the 5 second video on this thread (

)

After changing my Nvidia panel GPU performance global settings to maximum performance, as suggested on this thread, the flickering became much less frequent, but it still occasionally happens. Would anyone happen to know what could be causing this problem?  I recently had a new rig built (ryzen 5600x, 32gb 3600mhz ram, 750w psu, and a b550 tomahawk motherboard) and swapped in my 2070super from my previous build (intel 7700k, 16gb 2133mhz ram), and then this flickering started. It was not flickering on my previous system. Is this a potential issue between the cpu and display driver compatibility?

Any insight would be appreciated. 

I doubt it could be a compatibility thing but stranger things have happened. Are you using the same cables to connect everything? Maybe try using a different cable. I have seen cables cause odd behavior and in one case cause the computer not to boot. 

I would maybe think cables if these weren't the exact same cables I had on my last system, and its on both screens. You could be right but it just seems unlikely that both cables would become faulty at the same time.

Just now, cecmahumane said:

I would maybe think cables if these weren't the exact same cables I had on my last system, and its on both screens. You could be right but it just seems unlikely that both cables would become faulty at the same time.

Make sure to quote people or use @m9x3mosso we can see your responses

there is the possibility of the monitor port or the graphics card port to be damaged

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Make sure to quote people or use @m9x3mosso we can see your responses

there is the possibility of the monitor port or the graphics card port to be damaged

I guess the only way of testing whether its the graphics card port is to swap in a different GPU correct? Do you think that's likely on a brand new motherboard? Or are you thinking something might have happened during assembly?

I guess the only way of testing whether its the graphics card port is to swap in a different GPU correct? Do you think that's likely on a brand new motherboard? Or are you thinking something might have happened during assembly?

It is possible on a new product because defects at the factory are definitely normal, even if they're infrequent. It is also possible something got damaged during assembly. But frankly it's not too easy to tell

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

@Fasauceome I'll try swapping the GPU out. If it stops then its likely the GPU, and if it doesn't it could be the motherboard? Any other tests I could run to isolate it to the motherboard?

@Fasauceome I'll try swapping the GPU out. If it stops then its likely the GPU, and if it doesn't it could be the motherboard? Any other tests I could run to isolate it to the motherboard?

I don't actually think it's the motherboard as mentioned earlier I think the monitor itself would be to blame 

Does the monitor have other video inputs?

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't actually think it's the motherboard as mentioned earlier I think the monitor itself would be to blame 

Does the monitor have other video inputs?

It happens on both the monitors I have connected (in a dual monitor setup). Yes the monitors have HDMI I'm currently running them on display port. Would you suggest I try the HDMI ports?

47 minutes ago, cecmahumane said:

It happens on both the monitors I have connected (in a dual monitor setup). Yes the monitors have HDMI I'm currently running them on display port. Would you suggest I try the HDMI ports?

Yes, it's possible the HDMI port would have a different effect

Primary PC:

14 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Yeah I tried using an HDMI cable and had no flicker(running at 120hz), but when I re-plugged in my display port cable the flicker came back. 

Note: I only had 1 HDMI cable on hand but it still had the desired effect. 

18 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Did a clean re-install of the graphics drivers, and I haven't had a flicker. Hope it stays that way. Thanks