Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

So I've been troubleshooting memory issues for over a month now (extremely enjoyable 😁🔫) & I've finally decided to RMA either my CPU or motherboard & I'm making this post to hopefully get advice on which component is malfunctioning (probably the mobo, but who knows, could've just gotten extremely bad luck with the CPU...)

Troubleshooting:

SO I am running an i9-10850K along with a Aorus Elite AC Z490 motherboard. I have used multiple memory kits while troubleshooting this (thank god for amazon's return policies <3). And all the memory that I have been using has been on the "approved list of compatible memory" for the motherboard model.

Memory kits that worked/didn't:

1. I first had a kit of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x16GB @3600Mhz CL18. This memory worked perfectly without any sort of issues whatsoever.
  2. Then I decided to finally go up to 64GB & purchased another kit of exactly the same memory, but this time I got sticks with Samsung chips (my old kit had Crucial chips). Only 3/4 16GB sticks would boot into Windows (any 3 sticks on any of the 3 DIMM slots). But with the 4 sticks I managed to boot in once (out of about 100 attempts at changing memory settings). Everything worked fine & I stress tested the memory as well, no errors whatsoever & the PC ran fine for a few days until I finally restarted it because of an update & I was never able to boot into Windows again with all the 4 sticks.
  3. I sold my old memory & returned the new one so I could purchase a whole kit of 4x16GB @2666 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB memory. I was never able to boot into Windows with all 4 of the sticks & this time only 2/4 of the sticks would work reliably, where as 3/4 would only boot into Windows rarely.
  4. At this point I figured I had to have a bad mobo or CPU so I just returned the memory & got a kit of 2x32GB @3200 CL16 Crucial Balistix RGB. With this memory 1 stick works without any issues & I was only able to boot into Windows with both of the sticks about 3 out of 20 times & when I did manage to boot into Windows it worked 100% fine.

Just to add, I did reinstall Windows many times during the troubleshooting, removed the CMOS battery, tried every single available BIOS version, tried just about every setting for the memory aside from manually adjusting every single timing... I'll also add that I could boot into Ubuntu just fine, I guess because Linux isn't as picky with memory, but I did try that only like 2 times. The memory was also always showing up in BIOS, it just didn't wanna boot to Windows (it got stuck at the spinning logo right before you're greeted with the Windows lock screen wallpaper & this was the same every single time, example image bellow)

So first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I really do appreciate it! And I would love some feedback on what you think I should do (I'm pretty much just deciding if I should return my CPU or motherboard at this point or possibly even try to return both); if you'd like any more info let me know!😁

Image of the frozen loading screen (right be4 you get to the lock screen & same every single time)

_1160579.thumb.JPG.737f43a5c346ee7b01f174272ce722bf.JPG

49 minutes ago, DTV998 said:

Hi,

So I've been troubleshooting memory issues for over a month now (extremely enjoyable 😁🔫) & I've finally decided to RMA either my CPU or motherboard & I'm making this post to hopefully get advice on which component is malfunctioning (probably the mobo, but who knows, could've just gotten extremely bad luck with the CPU...)

Troubleshooting:

SO I am running an i9-10850K along with a Aorus Elite AC Z490 motherboard. I have used multiple memory kits while troubleshooting this (thank god for amazon's return policies <3). And all the memory that I have been using has been on the "approved list of compatible memory" for the motherboard model.

Memory kits that worked/didn't:

1. I first had a kit of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 2x16GB @3600Mhz CL18. This memory worked perfectly without any sort of issues whatsoever.
  2. Then I decided to finally go up to 64GB & purchased another kit of exactly the same memory, but this time I got sticks with Samsung chips (my old kit had Crucial chips). Only 3/4 16GB sticks would boot into Windows (any 3 sticks on any of the 3 DIMM slots). But with the 4 sticks I managed to boot in once (out of about 100 attempts at changing memory settings). Everything worked fine & I stress tested the memory as well, no errors whatsoever & the PC ran fine for a few days until I finally restarted it because of an update & I was never able to boot into Windows again with all the 4 sticks.
  3. I sold my old memory & returned the new one so I could purchase a whole kit of 4x16GB @2666 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB memory. I was never able to boot into Windows with all 4 of the sticks & this time only 2/4 of the sticks would work reliably, where as 3/4 would only boot into Windows rarely.
  4. At this point I figured I had to have a bad mobo or CPU so I just returned the memory & got a kit of 2x32GB @3200 CL16 Crucial Balistix RGB. With this memory 1 stick works without any issues & I was only able to boot into Windows with both of the sticks about 3 out of 20 times & when I did manage to boot into Windows it worked 100% fine.

Just to add, I did reinstall Windows many times during the troubleshooting, removed the CMOS battery, tried every single available BIOS version, tried just about every setting for the memory aside from manually adjusting every single timing... I'll also add that I could boot into Ubuntu just fine, I guess because Linux isn't as picky with memory, but I did try that only like 2 times. The memory was also always showing up in BIOS, it just didn't wanna boot to Windows (it got stuck at the spinning logo right before you're greeted with the Windows lock screen wallpaper & this was the same every single time, example image bellow)

So first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, I really do appreciate it! And I would love some feedback on what you think I should do (I'm pretty much just deciding if I should return my CPU or motherboard at this point or possibly even try to return both); if you'd like any more info let me know!😁

Image of the frozen loading screen (right be4 you get to the lock screen & same every single time)

_1160579.thumb.JPG.737f43a5c346ee7b01f174272ce722bf.JPG

If multiple types memory on the QVL list isn’t working there is probably some other problem. Motherboard is more likely simply because there is more on there to go wrong.  Neither can be easily diagnosed with home equipment though. I personally would do the motherboard alone or do both at the same time.  It’s not like the cpu is good for anything without a motherboard.  The disadvantage of doing both is twice the chance of a shipping screw up, and not necessarily knowing which had the problem.  If the motherboard comes back as OK, the next step would be the cpu anyway.  There isn’t any mention of the PSU which could be an issue if it’s underpowered. I don’t know that that is even a possibility though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If multiple types memory on the QVL list isn’t working there is probably some other problem. Motherboard is more likely simply because there is more on there to go wrong.  Neither can be easily diagnosed with home equipment though. I personally would do the motherboard alone or do both at the same time.  It’s not like the cpu is good for anything without a motherboard.  The disadvantage of doing both is twice the chance of a shipping screw up, and not necessarily knowing which had the problem.  If the motherboard comes back as OK, the next step would be the cpu anyway.  There isn’t any mention of the PSU which could be an issue if it’s underpowered. I don’t know that that is even a possibility though.

Yap, that's what I'm thinking as well, will try to just return both at the same time, just so I don't have to worry about the possibility of needing to return the other component later... And the PSU is a Corsair AX860i 860W Platinum power supply which works without any problems & has more than enough capacity to handle my parts.

Thanks for the comment & I wish you a nice day!

2 hours ago, DTV998 said:

Yap, that's what I'm thinking as well, will try to just return both at the same time, just so I don't have to worry about the possibility of needing to return the other component later... And the PSU is a Corsair AX860i 860W Platinum power supply which works without any problems & has more than enough capacity to handle my parts.

Thanks for the comment & I wish you a nice day!

Heh.  They could both come back fine though in which case it’s PSU or software.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.