how do i host a website on my own

i bought a google domain how do i host a website on my own

ive watched so many 3 year old videos pls help

2 minutes ago, GE02 said:

i bought a google domain how do i host a website on my own

ive watched so many 3 year old videos pls help

I think if you use something like squarespace or google sites it will give you a button or a prompt to use a custom domain, I'm not sure though.

😳
Not that active so I may not respond.

If you want to host a website, you need to set up a server. That's both easier than it sounds and harder than what can be explained in a quick post.

The short version is this: For the websites I've hosted in the past, I've used an old computer (it can be ancient - it was a Pentium 4 machine until this year) and installed Linux on the computer. Then I installed the relevant programs, like Apache and PHP, that allow the server to host websites. Finally, I got the IP address for my house (you can use a site like eth0.me for this), pointed the relevant domain at that IP address, and set up port forwarding on my router to direct port 80 and port 8080 traffic at the server. I also opened the relevant ports on the server.

The honest answer is you don't. Absolutely no offence intended here but I'm assuming you're not particularly knowledgable with webhosting and doing it yourself is very risky. If you don't have everything setup and secured properly its pretty easy for anyone with the skills to gain control of your webserver and everything it contains.

If you REALLY want to give it a go then you'll need either LAMP (for Linux) of WAMP (for Windows) as well as a DNS server to handle routing to your domain plus if you're doing it from home you might also need DDNS running, You'll also need to be able to forward ports from your router to the server.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If you want to host a website, you need to set up a server. That's both easier than it sounds and harder than what can be explained in a quick post.

The short version is this: For the websites I've hosted in the past, I've used an old computer (it can be ancient - it was a Pentium 4 machine until this year) and installed Linux on the computer. Then I installed the relevant programs, like Apache and PHP, that allow the server to host websites. Finally, I got the IP address for my house (you can use a site like eth0.me for this), pointed the relevant domain at that IP address, and set up port forwarding on my router to direct port 80 and port 8080 traffic at the server. I also opened the relevant ports on the server.

ive got xampp setup on localhost i just need a way to link google domain

Do you want it the easy way with an static website? Take a look at github pages: https://pages.github.com/

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, GE02 said:

ive got xampp setup on localhost i just need a way to link google domain

Have you tried opening up ports 80 and 8080, setting up port forwarding on your router to point at the computer, and then telling the Google domain to point at your IP address?

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Have you tried opening up ports 80 and 8080, setting up port forwarding on your router to point at the computer, and then telling the Google domain to point at your IP address?

ive opened port 80 on my pc

1 minute ago, GE02 said:

ive opened port 80 on my pc

As long as your website doesn't use HTTPS, that should be enough. Did you also set up port fowarding on your router and point the Google domain at your IP address?

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

As long as your website doesn't use HTTPS, that should be enough. Did you also set up port fowarding on your router and point the Google domain at your IP address?

im not sure on how to get the website on my ip

Just now, GE02 said:

im not sure on how to get the website on my ip

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for.

The public IP address of your computer can be found a number of ways. I prefer to use http://eth0.me, as it just gives you your IPv4 address in plain text.

Your Google Domains account should give you access to a dashboard that let's you manage your domains. Point the domain at that IP address. But note: if you haven't set up port forwarding on your router yet, it's unlikely to work.

The public IP address of your computer can be found a number of ways. I prefer to use http://eth0.me, as it just gives you your IPv4 address in plain text.

Your Google Domains account should give you access to a dashboard that let's you manage your domains. Point the domain at that IP address. But note: if you haven't set up port forwarding on your router yet, it's unlikely to work.

FWIW, this won't work if OP is behind a CGNAT

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

image.png.e1fd7341f658e28da21f230cc4d13cfb.png

What is that?

i set up port 80 for my pc

4 minutes ago, igormp said:

FWIW, this won't work if OP is behind a CGNAT

There are a lot of reasons why this might not work. Everyone's situation is unique. I've yet to encounter that issue myself, but yes, as IPv6 becomes dominant, IPv4 will be relegated to such systems more and more, to the point where it just won't work. Personally, I tend to test out things like this by using bare IP addresses before I invest money into a domain, but that's just me.

1 minute ago, GE02 said:

i set up port 80 for my pc

Okay, but you already said you did that. What about the other steps?