Need some help setting up my network.

So I just moved into my apartment ~3 months ago and I still have a very basic network. Currently I have my modem > wireless router > switch > all wired stuff, now I am wanting to setup the media side. I just use my PS4 in my living room to stream Netflix and Amazon, but in my bedroom I just have cable. I want basically a home media server and receivers for both TVs and my wireless devices. Would something like a NAS be good? Or should I build an HTPC? I just need help. 

Edit: What about Flex? Or a Roku? I'm so confused lol. 

Desktop: i7-5820K, SLI GTX 980 Ti, 16GB 2666MHz, H440

Laptop: Razer Blade 2015 QHD

Bump. 

Hi,

let me just get a little bit more information from you before we can start recommending stuff.

What exactly do you want your "home media server" to do? Please be as specific and detailed as possible. Do you JUST want it to store movies/tv shows? Do you need TV recording capabilities, etc? What devices would access the server? What content would they be using? Do you want to connect your TV's? If so, how many and what types?

Odds are, a good NAS will work quite nicely. The only real downside to a NAS is two-fold:

1. Scalability - When you buy a NAS, it has a set specific number of bays (2, 4, 6, etc) for HDD's (Hard Drives). Once all the bays are full, then that's it, you're at your limit. The one thing you can do to get around this is replace the existing HDD's with bigger ones. Eg: Your NAS comes with all 2TB drives, you then replace with 4TB drives.

2. Flexibility - While many NAS's these days are certainly more powerful, and can even install certain "Apps" (I'll get back to that later), they will never be as flexible as a full blown Server OS installation, such as Windows Home Server, or Windows Server 2012 (Or Linux, but if you're not familiar with Linux, I'd stay away from their server offerings, since if something goes wrong, you'll be stuck for troubleshooting).

What can a NAS do? A NAS is a lot more powerful these days then they used to be. They're basically a small low-powered computer, with a CPU, RAM, etc. They can create network share drives, stream video and audio via DLNA, create user-level permissions on folders/shares for security, and so on. They can also install certain "Apps" (Basically software specifically designed for the NAS) that will broaden their capabilities.

One very popular example of an App for a NAS would be Plex Media Server. Plex is, well, it's fantasic. It's a full-blown Media Server experience that will organize and share your media files. Plex comes in two portions: 1. Plex Media Server client, and 2. Plex Media Center client (Any DLNA client will actually be able to access the content - popular alternatives are XBMC, but only the Plex Media Center client will give you full features). The Media Server runs on Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, and on select NAS platforms. Check out their website: https://plex.tv/downloads and click on the NAS button to see which options they support.

You would then need to have a client for each of your TV's. Any computer or mobile device can be a client for itself too (The official Plex mobile apps do cost money, but they're only like $5 a piece - Plex for Computer or NAS is free though in all forms). Some Smart TV's actually have a Plex App already (Samsung for sure). Otherwise you can hook up a computer (Known as a Home Theater PC - in any OS, Mac, PC, linux) to your TV as the client, or you can even use something like a ROKU device, as there is a Plex App for Roku now as well.

Alternatively you could use any DLNA capable client, such as XBMC.

To sum up, it really depends on your usage, but a possible solution would be:

1. Buy a NAS, fill it with the biggest HDD's you can afford (A 4 bay NAS is preferable, but go bigger if you can afford it), then install Plex onto the NAS.

2. Install the Plex app (Or XBMC) on any computer you want to be able to watch videos from

3. If needed, buy media streaming boxes for your TV's, such as the Roku 3, then install the Plex app on them if supported. FYI, your PS4 can access the content from Plex Server, as it is DLNA capable, but it won't get full features.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thank you for the response! I want to be able to store large amounts of videos (downloaded), music, and pictures. I would also like to be able to stream the videos (Netflix and Amazon as well) to my 3 TVs. I would also like be able to stream the pictures to a digital WiFi picture frame, and I want to stream my music to audio receiver in my living room, bedroom, and garage.

As far as the devices I want to stream to 3 TVs (All Sony Bravia HDTVs), my Asus G750 Laptop, and my Asus T100 Transformer Book (Asus fanboy lol). I want them to be able to stream the video, music, and pictures. 

I like the NAS with a HTPC and Plex idea, but could I hook the HTPC up to all of my TVs? 

Something like NAS > HTPC > TVs? 

Thank you for the response! I want to be able to store large amounts of videos (downloaded), music, and pictures. I would also like to be able to stream the videos (Netflix and Amazon as well) to my 3 TVs. I would also like be able to stream the pictures to a digital WiFi picture frame, and I want to stream my music to audio receiver in my living room, bedroom, and garage.

As far as the devices I want to stream to 3 TVs (All Sony Bravia HDTVs), my Asus G750 Laptop, and my Asus T100 Transformer Book (Asus fanboy lol). I want them to be able to stream the video, music, and pictures. 

I like the NAS with a HTPC and Plex idea, but could I hook the HTPC up to all of my TVs? 

I think you'll need a media box at your TV to access content on the HTPC, like a Roku as he stated

unless you directly connect the HTPC to a tv, but you can only chose one

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I think you'll need a media box at your TV to access content on the HTPC, like a Roku as he stated

unless you directly connect the HTPC to a tv, but you can only chose one

as @ohJey specificied, you can use an HTPC or a Streaming device like a Roku 3.

An HTPC would be connected to a single TV only. While technically there are ways around this, none of them are good ways and wouldn't ever work the way you'd like.

What I would recommend: Build an HTPC for your MAIN TV (whether that's your living room TV, or whatever. The one you use the most). Then I would pick up streaming boxes for the other 2 TV's. I highly recommend the Roku 3, as you can install a Plex or XBMC app on it. It has built in netflix, hulu, amazon, etc.

Other good players include the WD Live TV. Lots of people like the Chromecast, but I personally think it's highly overrated and is limited in comparison to what you can do with a full streaming box.

For your computers/laptop, just download and install the Plex Media Center, OR just map the network share folder with your media in it, and treat the folder like it was just a local folder on your computer. You can playback the media using your preferred player (VLC, etc).

For the ASUS Transformer Book, is that an Android tablet? (I have a TF-101 w/ the battery/keyboard dock). If so, you can again, either download the Plex App (it does cost, but it's cheap), or map the network drive. The benefit of the App, is that it will transcode on the fly if your tablet isn't powerful enough for the media.

For the wifi digital picture frame, I have no idea. I imagine that it can access a network share. If so, then you will have no issues with accessing pictures off the NAS.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thank you so much guys! I will go the HTPC/Roku route! I seriously appreciate it guys, I was so confused lol.