Which GPU should I buy?

I need a GPU for a workstation I am building, I need a minimum VRAM amount of 8GB with equivalent performance of an RX580 or GTX1080... 

I was thinking about getting two AMD Radeon VII Pro GPUs and linking them with the infinity fabric bridge... 
Other AMD options include the currently two RDNA architectures, the "Vega" GPUs, and any Radeon Pro option (that is above the minimum performance requirements)

I am also considering an Nvidia GPU, Going with GTX 10xx and above, or a professional grade GpGPU 

So, here is a list of things I want:

• Lots of VRAM
  • Fast VRAM
  • Better or Best Performance
  • Needs to run most games and have DX12 compatibility (DX12U compatibility not required, but would be appreciated)
  • At least
  • OpenCL support
  • CUDA Support (For Nvidia GPUs)
  • IRAY Compatible (Also Nvidia only)
  • Radeon ProRender Compatible (All, ProRender is compatible with nearly anything)

And things I don't want:

• Too Old
  • slow
  • OpenGL only
  • No hardware video acceleration
  • not enough vram
  • To slow VRAM
  • Heating issues
  • Limited compatibility (Compared to an RX580)
  • No CUDA Support (For Nvidia GPUs, CUDA does not exist on AMD Graphics cards)
  • Compute only (Unless I am using it for that exact reason
  • Graphics only (Most things use some kind of compute to make it better)

If you care about OpenGL, AMD is already knocked off the list. Nvidia cards still stupid inflated.

If you can wait *and* get lucky, Nvidia is planning to bring the 2060 out of retirement with 12GB of Vram from what I've heard.

Why not grab a Radeon Pro W5500? They're only like $500 and perform better than the 580.

Amazon.com: AMD Radeon PRO W5500 8GB : Electronics

And they're in stock.

Alternatively the W6600, beats the 1080 by a lot but is a bit more 'spensive

AMD Radeon Pro W6600 100-506208 8GB 128-bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - Newegg.com

15 minutes ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

I need a GPU for a workstation I am building, I need a minimum VRAM amount of 8GB with equivalent performance of an RX580 or GTX1080... 

I was thinking about getting two AMD Radeon VII Pro GPUs and linking them with the infinity fabric bridge... 
Other AMD options include the currently two RDNA architectures, the "Vega" GPUs, and any Radeon Pro option (that is above the minimum performance requirements)

I am also considering an Nvidia GPU, Going with GTX 10xx and above, or a professional grade GpGPU 

So, here is a list of things I want:

• Lots of VRAM
  • Fast VRAM
  • Better or Best Performance
  • Needs to run most games and have DX12 compatibility (DX12U compatibility not required, but would be appreciated)
  • At least
  • OpenCL support
  • CUDA Support (For Nvidia GPUs)
  • IRAY Compatible (Also Nvidia only)
  • Radeon ProRender Compatible (All, ProRender is compatible with nearly anything)

And things I don't want:

• Too Old
  • slow
  • OpenGL only
  • No hardware video acceleration
  • not enough vram
  • To slow VRAM
  • Heating issues
  • Limited compatibility (Compared to an RX580)
  • No CUDA Support (For Nvidia GPUs, CUDA does not exist on AMD Graphics cards)
  • Compute only (Unless I am using it for that exact reason
  • Graphics only (Most things use some kind of compute to make it better)

Budget?

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

If you care about OpenGL, AMD is already knocked off the list. Nvidia cards still stupid inflated.

If you can wait *and* get lucky, Nvidia is planning to bring the 2060 out of retirement with 12GB of Vram from what I've heard.

I need more support than just OpenGL, as it is very old, and very little uses it today... Is AMD dropping support for it?

25 minutes ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

I need more support than just OpenGL, as it is very old, and very little uses it today... Is AMD dropping support for it?

Mainstream AMD gaming cards are dropping support. If your budget is $1k... I seriously recommend the W6600. Or if you want Nvidia go for the RTX A4000 or Quadro RTX 4000. 

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Mainstream AMD gaming cards are dropping support. If your budget is $1k... I seriously recommend the W6600. Or if you want Nvidia go for the RTX A4000 or Quadro RTX 4000. 

That sounds dumb, almost everything uses OpenGL in some way, shape, or form

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I might go for the Quadro, since one of the programs I use has IRAY, and for fast renders in that I would need an IRAY compatible GPU

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

How good is the AMD Radeon Pro VII (And what is the difference between Infinity Fabric, and Crossfire? Assuming you have two of that gpu, and are comparing the difference between them)

3 minutes ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

That sounds dumb, almost everything uses OpenGL in some way, shape, or form

Yeah, but AMD/ATI's implementation has never been nearly as good. That's why back in the day you would buy a FireGL or FirePro for CAD instead of a Rage or Radeon HD. 

1 minute ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

How good is the AMD Radeon Pro VII (And what is the difference between Infinity Fabric, and Crossfire? Assuming you have two of that gpu, and are comparing the difference between them)

Infinity fabric is software, and Xfire is hardware. More like SLI. 

And I won't recommend the Pro VII, it's basically a RX 5700 XT-level performance card for $1000 more than you can get the W6600. If you really do want a $2000 card get the newest W6800. Between the 3070/3080 in gaming performance and its CAD performance is even better. 

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah, but AMD/ATI's implementation has never been nearly as good. That's why back in the day you would buy a FireGL or FirePro for CAD instead of a Rage or Radeon HD. 

Infinity fabric is software, and Xfire is hardware. More like SLI. 

And I won't recommend the Pro VII, it's basically a RX 5700 XT-level performance card for $1000 more than you can get the W6600. If you really do want a $2000 card get the newest W6800. Between the 3070/3080 in gaming performance and its CAD performance is even better. 

What about that giant sized bridge connector? What does it do? Also, NVLink and SLI what are the differences between those?

6 minutes ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

What about that giant sized bridge connector? What does it do? Also, NVLink and SLI what are the differences between those?

Nvlink is for Quadros and SLI is for GeForce, nvlink has more bandwidth. And the giant bridge connector is I believe its crossfire connector although that could also be a feature of infinity fabric these days. On the Radeon Pro cards I’ve had infinity link has been software, but that was a low end card of the first series from several years ago.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Nvlink is for Quadros and SLI is for GeForce, nvlink has more bandwidth. And the giant bridge connector is I believe its crossfire connector although that could also be a feature of infinity fabric these days. On the Radeon Pro cards I’ve had infinity link has been software, but that was a low end card of the first series from several years ago.

The new CDNA cards also have a hardware bridge connector, or are compatible with one... (They should sell these bridges with every card that supports it, as not having it ma

I think IF is both hardware, and software... But I could be wrong

2 minutes ago, Cyberstorm64 said:

The new CDNA cards also have a hardware bridge connector, or are compatible with one... (They should sell these bridges with every card that supports it, as not having it ma

I think IF is both hardware, and software... But I could be wrong

Wait, isn't IF also in CPUs? 

I think it's a P2P Interconnect for all the computing devices

On 9/18/2021 at 2:16 PM, Mooshi said:

Is the support drop on the hardware side, or software?