Noob questions about NAS, Servers and what they can do

latot

Hi hi, I'm new in this allthings about network storage, the only thing I have done is put a netbook wired connected with a external hdd and use it a network storage, my main problem is, I don't know what a NAS or Server can do and what cannot do, so, I don't know what wold be a good option, this topic, would be like "things that a noobs don't know after research".

Lets start with what I'm using, I'm using close to 7TB in multimedia, but I have several problems, they all are spplited in several harddrives, including the laptop, so I'm thinking would be nice to centralice all the data, and not only mine, for all ppl here, If I want to format a computer I need to put out all the data before it, and with the time I and all of us we are using more and more space, so in the end, have all the files betwen notebooks and hdds is not very funny.

I use a lot of multimedia files, one of my questions there is how a NAS or Server can affect here, my notebook reach 30MB/s at 100% (30 for write, 60 for read) of disk usage, if I put all the data in a NAS, the computer will need request the data, compute the video data and save it again if i'm doing all the stuff from a network folder...., My best option for network speed is the olf RJ45, next Wifi 5G, and the normal Wifi, so I don't know if a NAS can be able to handle that types of things in a nice way, and lets include if other ppl works with the NAS or server too, maybe a NAS can handle this, but I don't know, my warning is the limit of 30MB/s in my computer, maybe there is a better way to connect instead Wifi or RJ45 (100MB).

Part of the data I have, they are in torrent formats, two reasons, first I can check all the data, second I can share when I need, I did my own python script (running in a netbook with ubuntu), but that means the NAS or Server need to be able 1) to run python, 2) need to be updated with newer python versions, If I buy a Synealogy NAS, and the SO becames outdated in some time, and there is no more newer python versions, I'll be forced to buy another one (I check in part what a Synealogy NAS can do).

There is the option to set a NAS, and other computer to access to it and work as a torrent server...., lets remember a torrent server can eat MB/s too....

Other thing that I don't know..., I know basically how a RAID system works, but, lets imagine, I buy a NAS, buy 4 HDD, Raid 2, then If want to change to another NAS, with more or less HDD capacity, Will I be able to get access to the data and/or connect to other system without lossing data? I don't even know, If I set 2 HDD, I'll see 2 HDDs or just 1 super big hdd.

I would like to buy SSD instead normal HDD, but the price will rease a lot, and I "suppose" we can configure a NAS for example, two folders, one for ssd and other for hdd, and again, can I access to the data properly from other NAS?, or what is the conditions to can mount the data out of that NAS?

If we use a NAS or Server, will this be able to protect from ransomware for example?

Other thing..., The games actually have..., big size, oks, not enough to can compare them with multimedia files/projects, but to is enough to consider make a copy in a netowrk server, and them just in case of formating the computer, or to update the games in other computers, then can by synced from the network storage when 1 pc update the game, I'm thinking even, if I can do a forlder with links, softlink the game files and keep the "configuration files" out of the link, so maybe I can run the game from the network storage and I don't need to save them in the hdd..., or this will affect too much...

Well..., even trying to check what a NAS and Server can do and what not, I still have all of this questions..., and even, I don't know if that is the best approach for what I need, maybe there is a better option.

Thx and sorry with the mix of things here, but there is so much things I don't know, and I wasn't able to find in internet.

13 minutes ago, latot said:

irst I can check all the data, second I can share when I need, I did my own python script (running in a netbook with ubuntu), but that means the NAS or Server need to be able 1) to run python, 2) need to be updated with newer python versions, If I buy a Synealogy NAS, and the SO becames outdated in some time, and there is no more newer python versions, I'll be forced to buy another one (I check in part what a Synealogy NAS can do).

Id run this in a container or vm. Then the version the nas is running doesn't matter, and its much easier to migrate to anouther nas later on.

14 minutes ago, latot said:

Other thing that I don't know..., I know basically how a RAID system works, but, lets imagine, I buy a NAS, buy 4 HDD, Raid 2, then If want to change to another NAS, with more or less HDD capacity, Will I be able to get access to the data and/or connect to other system without lossing data? I don't even know, If I set 2 HDD, I'll see 2 HDDs or just 1 super big hdd.

Id just make one big raid volume in the nas. 

Id assume the new nas needs a new raid setup, some can use the same array, but its not always true.

16 minutes ago, latot said:

I would like to buy SSD instead normal HDD, but the price will rease a lot, and I "suppose" we can configure a NAS for example, two folders, one for ssd and other for hdd, and again, can I access to the data properly from other NAS?, or what is the conditions to can mount the data out of that NAS?

Why get a SSD? the speed won't matter in a nas as its gonna be network limited here anyways.

Other thing..., The games actually have..., big size, oks, not enough to can compare them with multimedia files/projects, but to is enough to consider make a copy in a netowrk server, and them just in case of formating the computer, or to update the games in other computers, then can by synced from the network storage when 1 pc update the game, I'm thinking even, if I can do a forlder with links, softlink the game files and keep the "configuration files" out of the link, so maybe I can run the game from the network storage and I don't need to save them in the hdd..., or this will affect too much...

You can use someting like lancache to cache downloads on the nas. Id keep the game installs off the nas though. Local ssds will be much faster and much less hassle.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can use someting like lancache to cache downloads on the nas. Id keep the game installs off the nas though. Local ssds will be much faster and much less hassle.

Great Solution, seems to include a DNS server, that would be great.

Id assume the new nas needs a new raid setup, some can use the same array, but its not always true.

So, in case of a NAS failure or damage, my risk is to can't access to anything until I get another nas that is compatible with that Raid Array?, and if I get a new NAS there is the possibility to..., need the double of disk to configure a new Raid Array, copy the data, and then need to sell the old disks? seems too troublesome....

Id run this in a container or vm. Then the version the nas is running doesn't matter, and its much easier to migrate to anouther nas later on.

That is a great solution, taking as example Syneology, while they keep alive a VM, we can keep this, to compile, ccache can work with it.

Why get a SSD? the speed won't matter in a nas as its gonna be network limited here anyways.

Is true that I'm thing in a NAS or a Server storage, but maybe there is other ways, like other technology that is not NAS that can be better, or other way to avoid the 30/60 MB/s..., if is possible to avoid this limit maybe a SSD can works, in any case, the limit of 30/60 can be hard if several ppl is using the devices at the same time..., sorry to insist, but I'm still worriend about the low Write/Read speed of the HDDs for this type of storage..., what other options there are?

3 minutes ago, latot said:

So, in case of a NAS failure or damage, my risk is to can't access to anything until I get another nas that is compatible with that Raid Array?, and if I get a new NAS there is the possibility to..., need the double of disk to configure a new Raid Array, copy the data, and then need to sell the old disks? seems too troublesome....

get backups incase that happens. There are lots of ways a while raid array can die, so don't assume the raid is perfect.

Most premade nas units use software raid on linux, and can be read on any linux pc.

4 minutes ago, latot said:

Is true that I'm thing in a NAS or a Server storage, but maybe there is other ways, like other technology that is not NAS that can be better, or other way to avoid the 30/60 MB/s..., if is possible to avoid this limit maybe a SSD can works, in any case, the limit of 30/60 can be hard if several ppl is using the devices at the same time..., sorry to insist, but I'm still worriend about the low Write/Read speed of the HDDs for this type of storage..., what other options there are?

What external drives are you using? I have used many external drives that are extremly fast. For most workloads, a NAS isn't gonna be the fast solution.

HDDs should be able to get about 150mB/s on sequentical speeds, so you either have a old hdd or fragmented one, or running a random workload.

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Most premade nas units use software raid on linux, and can be read on any linux pc.

So, a NAS is most software dependant until hardware dependant?, while I can get other hardware, set correctly how the raid is condigured while the configuration is available, I will be able to read the data?, a cloud can be a second/third alternative too.

40 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What external drives are you using? I have used many external drives that are extremly fast. For most workloads, a NAS isn't gonna be the fast solution.

HDDs should be able to get about 150mB/s on sequentical speeds, so you either have a old hdd or fragmented one, or running a random workload.

150mB/s is in bits or bytes? sorry, I'm always confused in when is used one or other the 30/60 write/read are mega bytes/second.

What other optiones there are for a fast workloads?

Maybe a Server where I can run linux from remote, so I can access to anything in the fastest way possible, but that means the server need to have all the apps I need, I work mainly in linux, windows is just to play :3

1 hour ago, latot said:

So, a NAS is most software dependant until hardware dependant?, while I can get other hardware, set correctly how the raid is condigured while the configuration is available, I will be able to read the data?, a cloud can be a second/third alternative too.

This depends on the model, but most premade nas boxes are using linux software raid

1 hour ago, latot said:

150mB/s is in bits or bytes? sorry, I'm always confused in when is used one or other the 30/60 write/read are mega bytes/second.

Thats in Bytes. Some hdds can do about 250mB/s peak

1 hour ago, latot said:

What other optiones there are for a fast workloads?

External ssd? Depending on the ssd, can easily hit 2gB/s, much faster than any home nas.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This depends on the model, but most premade nas boxes are using linux software raid

mm, so the model determines the software, and the software determine possibles raid configurations, Is that right?

Thats in Bytes. Some hdds can do about 250mB/s peak

About the hdd speed, I'm particuraly confused, my notebook have a barracuda 2.5 of 2TB (ST2000LM015-2E8174
), but the max speed is the 30/60 MB/s wirte/read (practical, not linear), I already check the SMART tests of the harddrive and is fine, from the specifications of seagate it should reach 140 MB/s of data tranfer, but I'm rather far from that... maybe in a NAS the HDD can reach the 140...., or maybe is just normal if we run an OS from the disk pass from 140 to 30/60. If normally, the hardrive can reach 140, and we have several of them, a raid system should be able to handle big amounts of data, while there is no bottleneck in the middle, I test the hardrives turning off a lot of services from windows, just to avoid the super 100% of disk usage problem.

Is there other technology than NAS for this? as I understand, there is NAS that we can buy like Syneaology, and the ones we can made.

21 minutes ago, latot said:

mm, so the model determines the software, and the software determine possibles raid configurations, Is that right?

Yea the model and software limit the raid you can use. Look at the specs of the model. 

But don't assume you can move the raid array to a new nas. Id just put new drives in the new nas and copy the files over

22 minutes ago, latot said:

but the max speed is the 30/60 MB/s wirte/read (practical, not linear),

Whats your workload when you see these speeds?

22 minutes ago, latot said:

. maybe in a NAS the HDD can reach the 140....

A nas is normally gonna be slower than local storage, Id only go nas if you need multiple clients. Speed isn't what a nas is best at.

23 minutes ago, latot said:

my notebook have a barracuda 2.5 of 2TB (ST2000LM015-2E8174

Get a ssd in the laptop. It will make it so much faster, and will be cheaper than a nas too(and much faster)

Whats your workload when you see these speeds?

Mainly while gaming, but I checked with in the "resource" tab in the task manager, maybe, a very bad way to do it, with other ppl, not gaming, I reach 115MB/s.

A nas is normally gonna be slower than local storage, Id only go nas if you need multiple clients. Speed isn't what a nas is best at.

mm, let think 7 clients, but 2 or max 3 that can need more speed, if I only need read the Wifi 5G is enough, but to work can not be enough..., if a NAS is not very good at speed..., what other options there are?

Get a ssd in the laptop. It will make it so much faster, and will be cheaper than a nas too(and much faster)

Yeah, will be faster, but without a NAS or somewhere to put my data, there is no way to use an SSD, lack of space now, and in the future.

2 minutes ago, latot said:

Mainly while gaming, but I checked with in the "resource" tab in the task manager, maybe, a very bad way to do it, with other ppl, not gaming, I reach 115MB/s.

If your goal is to store games, a NAS is pretty bad, some games don't like being stored on a nas, and its just a lot of setup for a slower game storage system

mm, let think 7 clients, but 2 or max 3 that can need more speed, if I only need read the Wifi 5G is enough, but to work can not be enough..., if a NAS is not very good at speed..., what other options there are?

Put a local ssd in each system for things like games. Then have a nas/cloud storage for files that need to be shared.

If you want a lot of storage for media, Id just get a single big hdd in your PC, get something like a 16tb drive here. Then you can setup a network share on your PC if you want other systems on the network to be able to use it.

If your goal is to store games, a NAS is pretty bad, some games don't like being stored on a nas, and its just a lot of setup for a slower game storage system

The LanCache options is pretty great, yes, there is a lot of games that only works from their own installations..., using the softlink with them can be an option but the speed can be hard, still, I think lancache do the trick.

Put a local ssd in each system for things like games. Then have a nas/cloud storage for files that need to be shared.

If you want a lot of storage for media, Id just get a single big hdd in your PC, get something like a 16tb drive here. Then you can setup a network share on your PC if you want other systems on the network to be able to use it.

Actually I use dualboot, for linux (work) and windows (gaming, only gaming, exclusive gaming), so I can't keep my notebook to share data, the conflict there..., work with multimedia needs a lot of speed and space, if I use the NAS I'll lack of speed (CPU or transfering data), so a custom server that I can access remotely can be an option, I would be able to access from anywhere while I have internet but I'll can't use linux for somthing that will need a big flow of visual data....., that seems now to be, a bad option again.

I want avoid mix the system and the data, have a problem and fixing the system is too slow, like, "Oh, a new windows update, lets format the computer, linux fails, format without move huge amount of data", sadly my notebook don't allow to have an ssd and hdd, the games today, use a lot of space, so I don't think I'll can play and work in the same computer if I use an ssd, split and have two places for that can be an option too, in that case, a notbook for gaming seems not worth it.

Other options, is..., is there other way to avoid the limite speed?, what type of connections should we need to use a NAS at top transfer data speed?, in a worst case, I can work from project to project in the notebook, and when I want to move huge data, I can connect from this other way...

The LanCache options is pretty great, yes, there is a lot of games that only works from their own installations..., using the softlink with them can be an option but the speed can be hard, still, I think lancache do the trick.

Yea Id just stick with local storage for games. Ive played with network storage for games a good amount, and never got it to work well.

Other options, is..., is there other way to avoid the limite speed?, what type of connections should we need to use a NAS at top transfer data speed?, in a worst case, I can work from project to project in the notebook, and when I want to move huge data, I can connect from this other way...

WHy not replace the hdd with a ssd in the laptop? Much faster, not too expensive.

I want avoid mix the system and the data, have a problem and fixing the system is too slow, like, "Oh, a new windows update, lets format the computer, linux fails, format without move huge amount of data"

This isn't a huge issue in my experience, esp with good backups

Id setup a old pc or nas for media and low speed storage that needs to be shared, and local ssds that needs to be fast.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHy not replace the hdd with a ssd in the laptop? Much faster, not too expensive.

Because my laptop is used to play and work, all my work is on linux, so, In one partition I'll have linux, with multimedia work, so a lot of space, in other partition, games, more space :3, but actually, buying a 1TB SSD would do the trick, with a NAS I think I can handle the data.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This isn't a huge issue in my experience, esp with good backups

I'm usually doing a lot of things all the time, so, use a lot of time to organize, and copy data to just format a computer, that time, I would like save it to do other things, this would be no a huge problem if windows don't come slower with every update...

22 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id setup a old pc or nas for media and low speed storage that needs to be shared, and local ssds that needs to be fast.

I'm doing something like that..., with a netbook (old netbooks :3) and external hdd, I tried with ubuntu as a system, was too complex, well the network share was easy, but seems ubuntu really like to shutdown usbs, takes a lof of time to found how to not turn them off, stil happens from time to time.

Actually, I have 2 old motherboards, but too old, 10 years old, or more...., idk if would be necessary to buy a new one....

idk what I need to do a NAS (in the right sense, not just put things together), for example, maybe this is no sense, can the motherboard limit a NAS? the motherboard it self, not the CPU, how much hdd can handle a motherboard? whare can I have bottlenecks?..., too much to learn, is there some place to learn all of this? or buy directly a NAS have a nice reward in comparison to this? (something more than saving time)

29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That seems to be the best option.

30 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If there is a way to copy or handle data with normal hdd in a NAS avoinding bottlenecks, can be very helpful.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

get something like a 16tb drive here

Is there a way to get a hdd here?

14 minutes ago, latot said:

'm doing something like that..., with a netbook (old netbooks :3) and external hdd, I tried with ubuntu as a system, was too complex, well the network share was easy, but seems ubuntu really like to shutdown usbs, takes a lof of time to found how to not turn them off, stil happens from time to time.

What do you mean by shutdown? Id stay away from usb hdds for a nas. Thats probably power management on the external hdds.

15 minutes ago, latot said:

k what I need to do a NAS (in the right sense, not just put things together), for example, maybe this is no sense, can the motherboard limit a NAS? the motherboard it self, not the CPU, how much hdd can handle a motherboard? whare can I have bottlenecks?..., too much to learn, is there some place to learn all of this? or buy directly a NAS have a nice reward in comparison to this? (something more than saving time)

For a gigabit nas, you really don't need much, almost anything in the last 10 years will be fine.

Your gonna be limited by gigabit networking unless you want to pay for 10gbe.

If there is a way to copy or handle data with normal hdd in a NAS avoinding bottlenecks, can be very helpful.

Get a faster network? Or do you mean backup software? A nas is always gonna have more overhead as there is more layers between the storage and your program

Is there a way to get a hdd here?

Where is here? Most retailers sell 16tb hdds around here.

Where is here? Most retailers sell 16tb hdds around here.

Ufff, here is too far from a lot of places, go to the city can be from 20mins to 1h, and there is not too much places that sell NAS hdd..., here a 16TB Seagate IronWolf Nas HDD cost $500..., so I need to check where can I get them or just buy from internet...

Get a faster network? Or do you mean backup software? A nas is always gonna have more overhead as there is more layers between the storage and your program

Yes, will be always slower, I'm thinking that Wifi 5G can not be enough to copy, there is USB too..., or other way to copy files.... I don't know if a NAS have a fastest way to copy than that.

What do you mean by shutdown? Id stay away from usb hdds for a nas. Thats probably power management on the external hdds.

There is always to option to open the external hdd and connect it directly, but is a netbook..., idk if it will support connect that to the motherboard.... I'm worried with the power source too, or maybe..., connect several SATA disks and an external power supply, this can be a weird use for a netbook in that way.

For a gigabit nas, you really don't need much, almost anything in the last 10 years will be fine.

Your gonna be limited by gigabit networking unless you want to pay for 10gbe.

Oks, I'll check the time of the motherboards here.

There is 2 points I'm little worried, 1) There is HDD for NAS and normal HDD, there should be some differences, how I'm using my external HDD all the day, will be dead earlier? 2) the case for the motherboard, I check that If we plug several harddrives in the same case the vibration affect the others..., actually, I have 3 or 4 differents HDDs...

1 minute ago, latot said:

1) There is HDD for NAS and normal HDD, there should be some differences, how I'm using my external HDD all the day, will be dead earlier?

you can use a normal hdd for a nas. I have done this many time, and it works fine. Just make sure you have good backups.

2) the case for the motherboard, I check that If we plug several harddrives in the same case the vibration affect the others..., actually, I have 3 or 4 differents HDDs...

Won't really matter with that few drives, id just get normal hdds here

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can use a normal hdd for a nas. I have done this many time, and it works fine. Just make sure you have good backups.

Yes, I'm worried in part, because I don't have any backup.....

Won't really matter with that few drives, id just get normal hdds here

When should it matter?

Other questions....

Is there any limit in RAM or CPU for a NAS?

It is safe, add cable of SATA to 2 or more HDDs and connect them into a netbook motherboard? (lets keep the power supply apart)

Yes, I'm worried in part, because I don't have any backup.....

Id focus on the backup first.

Since you only have like 7tb of stuff, id get a 8-12tb external hdd and backup to that.

When should it matter?

With big arrays, like 12+ drives, 4 hdds isn't that much.

Is there any limit in RAM or CPU for a NAS?

Depends on the nas model But for a nas you don't need much, like a celeron and 2gb of ram is plenty for a basic nas.

2 minutes ago, latot said:

It is safe, add cable of SATA to 2 or more HDDs and connect them into a netbook motherboard? (lets keep the power supply apart)

What exact parts are you using? Really depends on the exact setup.

Id focus on the backup first.

Since you only have like 7tb of stuff, id get a 8-12tb external hdd and backup to that.

Oks, in that case, I'll need to get more hdds, actually all of them are almost full, the 3 of them, have low capacity.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What exact parts are you using? Really depends on the exact setup.

Super netbook acer aspire one nav50 :3

An extra question, can I change the RAID configuration to.., add a new harddrive (as data or backup) without losing the actual data?

2 hours ago, latot said:

Oks, in that case, I'll need to get more hdds, actually all of them are almost full, the 3 of them, have low capacity.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea Id aim for fewer bigger hdds, easier to upgrade.

2 hours ago, latot said:

Super netbook acer aspire one nav50 :3

Id just stick with usb external hdds then.

2 hours ago, latot said:

An extra question, can I change the RAID configuration to.., add a new harddrive (as data or backup) without losing the actual data?

What raid software/hardware are you using? really depends on your exact config here.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just stick with usb external hdds then.

Is not recommended try to append a new hdd to a netbook motherboard?

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What raid software/hardware are you using? really depends on your exact config here.

I'm not using RAID, I want to set a build with RAID, but to choose the hardware and software, I want to know the limitants of it, so to avoid very bad circunstances.... like the ones I'm writing there... 

1 hour ago, latot said:

Is not recommended try to append a new hdd to a netbook motherboard?

Id just use usb, much easier to use, no big disadvantages here.

1 hour ago, latot said:

I'm not using RAID, I want to set a build with RAID, but to choose the hardware and software, I want to know the limitants of it, so to avoid very bad circunstances.... like the ones I'm writing there... 

Depends on the system. There are lots of soltuions, so look at the specs of the nas box or the os/software you want to use.

Id probably just start with a bigger array than you need so you don't need to upgrade for a while.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:20 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depends on the system. There are lots of soltuions, so look at the specs of the nas box or the os/software you want to use.

can you give an example please? of something compatible and other incompatible?

5 minutes ago, latot said:

can you give an example please? of something compatible and other incompatible?

Well lets start with wht you wnt. Do you want a diy or prebuilt nas?

If you want DIY, id probably go unraid, easy to use + install. Nice web gui.

If you go prebuilt, id probably go synology, nice web interface. 

Both of those let you expand later on by adding more drives and mixing drive sizes.

Also plan backups.. Plan for the whole nas dying, and not being able to get data from it.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:26 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well lets start with wht you wnt. Do you want a diy or prebuilt nas?

A Syneology, what y read before, seems is good for NAS but not too good for anything else, I don't know if a torrent server will play fine with with, and if I want do other things..., maybe a Syneology with some Linux? what is the advatage/disadvantage betwen Syneology SO vs some Linux?

I want the most flexible/secure one, I don't have problems doing DIY work.

If you want DIY, id probably go unraid, easy to use + install. Nice web gui.

Is hard have a raid with a DIY?

Also plan backups.. Plan for the whole nas dying, and not being able to get data from it.

😮 .. I dont' have where to start looking for with this...., I never thought with all the NAS dying...., yes..., is something that need to be considerated....

I was thinking in the partition system..., I don't like NTFS because the fragmentation, I usually use Ext4 in my system, but can be the best for a NAS.