Sugestions on how to check compatability

lfk

I have a pretty old basic machine running a MSI H87I mini-itx 1160 LGA motherboard.  It's done me vey well with regular upgrades of CPU and ram over the years.

Win 10 lastest

Xeon E3-1241 v3

Radeon RX 570

I recently purchased a bunch of cheap aliexpress PCI-e wifi 6 cards (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002182063182.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5e674c4dQbegIK) and put them into a range of older laptops and the above mentioned motherboard.  Works perfectly in the laptops but having intermittent issues in the above mentioned motherboard.

Started by not detecting the right drivers so after some searches got the applicable intel driver download and it worked.  But on a number of occasions if I sleep or shutdown the machine and start it up later the wifi adaptor is completely gone in device manger.  Not detected at all as though I took the card out.  Event logs seem to indicate it was seen but couldn't start the device.  Suspect its just a straight up compatability issue but is there a way I can confirm this and its not just a config issue or something else that can be fixed.

It this mobo and wifi card combo just wont work how can I find a mini pci-e wifi6 card that will work?  Dont want to keep buying one after the other and hope they work.

It could be that this particular adapter is faulty in a way that the other adapters you installed were not.

As for checking the compatibility, search the internet and see if someone else has added a WiFi card that didn't have a compatibility issue. If you can't find anything, then it's just luck. The card you have should have worked, but it didn't, and there was no way of telling that before you tried it. It sucks, but other than physical compatibility there is no way to know if a specific device will work unless you find someone else that had the problem first.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

mPCIe is not directly compatible with PCIe. There's your reason for it not working. You will need either to get mPCIe to PCIe adapter, or just get internal WiFI PCIe adapter.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

mPCIe is not directly compatible with PCIe. There's your reason for it not working. You will need either to get mPCIe to PCIe adapter, or just get internal WiFI PCIe adapter.

Are you sure? My understanding is that it's just a smaller form factor. It should be electronically/protocol compatible. It is probably just due to the fact that mPCIe cards don't have retention clips or a bracket to hold it in place and therefore the card is loose in the desktop PCIe slot (physical connectivity issue). So as you stated, a mPCIe to PCIe adapter would be warranted here.

Such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N2X62LQ/ref=psdcmw_13983711_t1_B07JBCL1CJ

Otherwise, there may be some kind of bus/sleep setting and the card isn't being "woken up" or something like that.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

7 hours ago, aramini said:

Are you sure? My understanding is that it's just a smaller form factor. It should be electronically/protocol compatible. It is probably just due to the fact that mPCIe cards don't have retention clips or a bracket to hold it in place and therefore the card is loose in the desktop PCIe slot (physical connectivity issue). So as you stated, a mPCIe to PCIe adapter would be warranted here.

Such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07N2X62LQ/ref=psdcmw_13983711_t1_B07JBCL1CJ

Otherwise, there may be some kind of bus/sleep setting and the card isn't being "woken up" or something like that.

Quick search says they aren't. Why would there be need for adapters if they were... PCIe 4x is compatible with PCIe x16, but various sources say (including Wikipedia) that mPCIe is both physically and by pinout different from PCIe x4 to what its closest physically.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Quick search says they aren't. Why would there be need for adapters if they were... PCIe 4x is compatible with PCIe x16, but various sources say (including Wikipedia) that mPCIe is both physically and by pinout different from PCIe x4 to what its closest physically.

Interesting. I did not see any pin-outs for mPCIe on Wikipedia, but (assuming a device follows the standard) it is supposedly PCIe 1x compatible + USB 2.0 compatible (protocol-wise, not connector-wise). Obviously it is much smaller physically and so the dimensions on the traces and trace width would differ. I checked the website of PCI-SIG (who develop and maintain the PCIe specifications) but did not see a clear pin-out comparison of mPCIe vs PCIe.

PCI Express Mini Card

PCI Express Mini Card (also known as Mini PCI Express, Mini PCIe, Mini PCI-E, mPCIe, and PEM), based on PCI Express, is a replacement for the Mini PCI form factor. It is developed by the PCI-SIG. The host device supports both PCI Express and USB 2.0 connectivity, and each card may use either standard. Most laptop computers built after 2005 use PCI Express for expansion cards; however, as of 2015, many vendors are moving toward using the newer M.2 form factor for this purpose.

Due to different dimensions, PCI Express Mini Cards are not physically compatible with standard full-size PCI Express slots; however, passive adapters exist that let them be used in full-size slots.[33]

Passive adapter would indicate it is not doing much to alter the signals. Of course a 16x card is going to have more lanes than an 8x or a 4x, etc.

Anyways, yeah... the OP should get an adapter.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Graphics Card

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Optical Drive

Displays

Keyboard/Mouse

5 minutes ago, aramini said:

Interesting. I did not see any pin-outs for mPCIe on Wikipedia, but (assuming a device follows the standard) it is supposedly PCIe 1x compatible + USB 2.0 compatible (protocol-wise, not connector-wise). Obviously it is much smaller physically and so the dimensions on the traces and trace width would differ. I checked the website of PCI-SIG (who develop and maintain the PCIe specifications) but did not see a clear pin-out comparison of mPCIe vs PCIe.

Passive adapter would indicate it is not doing much to alter the signals. Of course a 16x card is going to have more lanes than an 8x or a 4x, etc.

Anyways, yeah... the OP should get an adapter.

I couldn't see pinout either. But going by physical difference, and knowing mPCIe is 52pin kinda implicates pins are not hitting the correct spots.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I couldn't see pinout either. But going by physical difference, and knowing mPCIe is 52pin kinda implicates pins are not hitting the correct spots.

That being the case, I am surprised it was even working for the OP even intermittently instead of not at all.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

Graphics Card

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

PSU

Optical Drive

Displays

Keyboard/Mouse