New Self-Built PC Restarting to Windows Installer After A Couple Hours

npasq

I just built my first PC after the past 15 years as a power OSX user. Only had one hitch on build, and that was that the Windows installer formatted the boot SSD with an old type of partition style (MBR, rather than GPT) but once I sorted that, everything else was great. Been monitoring temps in CPUID HWMonitor, and the GPU hasn't gone over 80C, CPU hasn't gone over 75C, and SSDs sit around 55-57C.

After about 60-120 minutes of playing a game, the computer reboots, and comes up with a Windows Installation screen. When this happens, nothing works; the Windows Installer USB that I still have won't load; the safe boot repair options immediately fail, and going into the command prompt I can go into DISKPART but trying to just navigate into either of the 2 SSDs or the Windows Installation USB doesn't seem to actually do anything. It's as if the computer just can't read or write to anything. If I shut down the computer, an Orange light stays on on the mobo (but it's inside the heatsink, so I think it's just an errant RGB light; it's not one of the error LEDs on the board). I can boot into the BIOS but when I do the BIOS can't see either of the installed SSDs. Attempting to boot normally spits me back to the Windows Installer screen. But! If I leave the system off for long enough, I can turn it back on and everything works again. I've been turning the switch on the PSU off, but I'm not sure if I have to do that in order to get the system to later turn on and boot as normal. After a few hours or a full day off, the computer boots into Windows without any hesitation. Only to repeat the problem in a few hours if I use it that long.

My current suspicion is that something on the motherboard is getting hot enough to either connect in a way that it shouldn't, or disconnect in a way that it shouldn't, causing the issue. But I'm not sure how to narrow things down any further. I also can't rule out the boot drive, the RAM, the GPU, or really anything since, while I've been a far above average OSX user, my lack of Windows experience is a bit of a stumbling block.

Windows 10, 64bit, purchased and downloaded from Microsoft directly.

All hardware was purchased within the last 3 months. OS was installed 2 weeks ago.

Ryzen Zen 3 5900x

GeForce RTX 3080TI Vision OC 12G from Gigabyte

Aorus X570 Ultra Rev 1.2 motherboard; BIOS is version F34, the latest version at time of build

Seasonic Prime 1000w 80+Platinum

In a Be Quiet! 500DX, with an Arctic Liquid Freezer II on the CPU (yes plastic removed and yes thermal paste used; all indications are temps are well within acceptable) as well as 3 of Be Quiet!'s fans.

Nothing is overclocked except turning on memory XMP. Memory is GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz with CL14-15-15-35 timings.

500GB Sabrant Rocket NVMe 4.0 in M.2 slot one with Windows, 2TB Sabrant NVMe 4.0 in M.2 slot 2 with a pretty small Steam Library.

The game I've been playing recently is the early access Harsdpace: Shipbreaker, but importantly the issue has happened outside of this game running as well.

The results of a Sysnative System File Collection are linked here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/264ebqfdbi3py12/SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip?dl=0

I would provide the output of perfmon as well, but it's been "Collecting data for 60 seconds..." the entire 20+ minutes that I've been writing this.

I would reseat the CPU and motherboard power connectors.

If this is some kind of software issue, open CMD as an administrator and run sfc /scannow

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I would reseat the CPU and motherboard power connectors.

If this is some kind of software issue, open CMD as an administrator and run sfc /scannow

Well, it got almost 50% through that test and then BSOD'd out to the Windows Setup screen. I'm not sure if that's useful information or just a coincidence. 

9 hours ago, npasq said:

Well, it got almost 50% through that test and then BSOD'd out to the Windows Setup screen. I'm not sure if that's useful information or just a coincidence. 

A bit of a hint as to what's going on, if the windows file structure getting scanned causes a crash then it's kind of telling.

Check physical disk health with chkdsk

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Well, chkdsk went all the way through without finding any errors, except at the end it couldn't write the results to disk (error 6?) which, itself, seems to be an error. I'm going to try re-seating the NVMe again, and hope that helps.