After losing 7tb of data, I think I've come up with a more reliable storage solution. What do you think?

Ultranothing

My Seagate Backup+ 8tb fell from about six inches and now is cooked. Again. Xfinity data caps are coming in 2022 so I'm setting up a little home-based storage thing that I hope is future-proof (and idiot-proof) and re-downloading all of my games, movies. music, etc., and I was hoping for some input/advice/etc.

I got this:

Samsung QVO 8tb SSD

And this:

Seagate EXOS 16TB HDD

And this:

Mercury Elite Pro Dual USB-C

And this: 

Anker Powerline II USB-C to USB-C cable

And just to be extra sure, I got this for the Elite Pro Dual enclosure:

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX fan

Ya know? Just maybe I can keep my data for more than a year without some slight disturbance destroying everything. I'm going to use the SSD as the storage media and I was going to use Macrium Reflect to do bi-weekly (or weekly, or daily, whatever) backup images to the Seagate 16tb.

Is this a good idea? Bad? How would you set up this equipment for the most optimal performance and reliability? Did I go about this all wrong? What should I do differently? Scrap the whole idea? I know, I spent a grand and NOW I'm asking questions... 

Would not use macrium and make images, just mirror the files. That's what I do, on TWO backup drives, one being stored offsite and both being rotated regularly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Would not use macrium and make images, just mirror the files. That's what I do, on TWO backup drives, one being stored offsite and both being rotated regularly.

Same here. I'm a bit more paranoid. So I keep two data drives in my PC. The important data is also mirrored across the other PCs in the house. Then I keep external drives at the house, in pairs (never know when a drive could fail, knock on a wood they don't anytime soon). Then I keep a pair of drives off site, at typically at the in laws or my moms. This pair of drives is rotated out typically at a minimum once a month.

It sounds like a lot but it started out as a single drive here and there, and is now a large collection of drives. Some of them only contain the most important stuff due to size, however that's ok, it's still a backup.

I don't use any third party software actually either, it's all just done with scripts. On Windows it's just a mixture of robocopy and xcopy, on Linux it's rsync. Typically run the script and walk away it backups and shutsdown.

I use FreeFileSync, don't want it automated since I only want the backup drive physically connected during the backup and want to see what's going to be done before committing, allows me to see if I deleted something by mistake and restore it instead of deleting from backup. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

That's the product name...

F@H

GPD Win 2

FreeNAS with zfs raid-Z and zfs snapshots with zfs send/receive to another offsite is the way to go, bro.

ZFS gives you end to end checksums, you'll be protected against data rot too.