[Build Log] Shitfenix - Update: 4/14/14

jmt

Hi all.  Thanks for checking out my (first) build log.

A month or so ago I broke my old case attempting to update the cable management. Since I'd had it for a while, I decided to make a change and move into doing a few mods. Having built a few Prodigy rigs, I felt comfortable enough with the platform and decided to give the Phenom a shot.

Some of my hardware has changed, but a good bit of it's a few generations behind. If you're looking for cutting edge parts you should stop reading now. I'll eventually upgrade my entire rig, but as it stands it handles all my games @ 1080p without much issue. At this point I'm mainly focused on aesthetics.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. On to the parts list:

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.4 GHz (Turbo on Stock Voltage)

CPU Cooler:  Intel BXRTS2011LC CLC

RAM:  G Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-2133 (@ 2133 on 1.6v)

MOBO:  MSI Z77IA-53

GPU:  EVGA 660Ti 2GB FTW Sig 2 (OC'd +40/+80)

PSU:  XFX TS550 550w

CASE:  Bitfenix Phenom ITX (White)

SSD:  Sandsk SDSSDP 128GB (OS)

SSHD:  Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (Games)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB (Media & Storage)

Fans: Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm & 230mm (White)

Fan Controllers:  Akust 3.5" Singles with RPM Display

Extensions: Bitfenix 24/8/6/6 (Grey)

SATA Cables: 24" Black/Round Straight to Straight

I'm sure I'm leaving out other miscellaneous parts. I'll try to list them as I go, but feel free to ask about anything.

Pics or it didn't happen

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Hi all.  Thanks for checking out my (first) build log.

A month or so ago I broke my old case attempting to update the cable management. Since I'd had it for a while, I decided to make a change and move into doing a few mods. Having built a few Prodigy rigs, I felt comfortable enough with the platform and decided to give the Phenom a shot.

Some of my hardware has changed, but a good bit of it's a few generations behind. If you're looking for cutting edge parts you should stop reading now. I'll eventually upgrade my entire rig, but as it stands it handles all my games @ 1080p without much issue. At this point I'm mainly focused on aesthetics.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. On to the parts list:

CPU: i5-2500k @ 4.4 GHz (Turbo) on Stock Voltage.

CPU Cooler:  Intel BXRTS2011LC CLC

RAM:  G Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-2133 (@ 2133 on 1.6v)

MOBO:  MSI Z77IA-53

GPU:  EVGA 660Ti 2GB FTW Sig 2 (OC'd +40/+80)

PSU:  XFX TS550 550w

CASE:  Bitfenix Phenom ITX (White)

SSD:  Sandsk SDSSDP 128GB (OS)

SSHD:  Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (Games)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB (Media & Storage)

Fans: Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm & 230mm (White)

Fan Controllers:  Akust 3.5" Singles with RPM Display

Extensions: Bitfenix 24/8/6/6 (Grey)

SATA Cables: 24" Black/Round Straight to Straight

I'm sure I'm leaving out other miscellaneous parts. I'll try to list them as I go, but feel free to ask about anything.

No pictures?

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

MFW, boxes!

Rru24LL.jpg

Rm2I8ue.jpg

The gasket on the right is a Phobya decoupler (7mm) for the radiator fan.

1wA7dq3.jpg

Time to round up my trusty assistant, Dottie.

ImJNy9i.jpg

You can kind of see a sneak at a windowed side panel.  I actually ordered one for the Prodigy under the assumption that it would fit.  As a PSA, IT DOES NOT FIT!

First stop was the GPU.

OB2q8OW.jpg?2

For whatever reason, I decided I needed a backplate. But have you ever tried to find a backplate for an old GPU? Pretty tough.  After some extensive research I found that the PCB on my GPU matched that of a 680, which matched that of a 770. Thus...

CqFfmZq.jpg

It would've looked pretty stupid with the GTX 770 logo on a 660Ti, so I took it off with some patience and my pal, Abe Lincoln.

589j4p6.jpg

Not too shabby if I do say so myself.

KlcCcXK.jpg

That was a good bit of slow, patient effort for something you're not even going to see.

Now back to the case:

One of the things I've always disliked about the Prodigy platform is the LED/Switches/USB hub mounted to the side panel.  The LEDs are BLINDING and the cords are a pain in the ass when you have to remove the panel to access the inside. So, I decided to scrap the hub altogether, flip the panel to the other side, and cut in a huge window (the kit is on order from PPCS) to get rid of the holes.

I can live without the hub, but I still need a power button. Time to do work...

I picked up a stainless steel momentary switch from eBay for about $7.

U6UiDUO.jpg

I decided to mount it centered under the Bitfenix logo on the front panel.  I really wanted it above the logo, but there wasn't enough clearance behind the panel to keep it from grounding out on the chassis. I removed the original on/off cable from the hub and used it on the new switch. Luckily, the Phenom's front panel has a pre-punched hole for routing cables (not sure why).

qcxpFV1.jpg

Flush...

kgXNlqh.jpg

I had to use a neoprene washer so I could torque the nut down tight enough to sink the switch completely in.  The hole isn't 100% perfect because Bitfenix's soft touch coating chips when you file it (Grrr...).

Since I have 3 storage drives, I needed the top bay set. However, they don't work well with a long GPU unless you turn them 180*. Also, fans in (but later to be removed momentarily).

PRzPvVk.jpg

Using the top 3 bays meant I had to keep the bottom 2.  I waffled back and forth on what (if anything) to do with them. I stumbled upon some nifty fan controllers by Akust at PPCS for $10 a piece.  I figured they'd work, but I also ordered 3.5" aluminum drive blanks from Lian Li in case they didn't.  I was a little nervous about how they'd mount.

qc5Ge57.jpg

Great success! Honestly, the mount is a little wonky because the screws I had to use had a head just big enough to interfere with the slide mounts. It fits, but not without some gentle force and scuffed up paint.  :angry:

The LCD is blue (matches the Intel logo on the CLC).  It displays the current/fluctuating RPM of the fans (picture to come later).  It's a pretty solid unit and I've designed the window to show case them.  The only thing that sucks is that they have a built in alarm for a non-functioning fan.  It's LOUD as hell when the computer boots/comes out of sleep. I may try and de-solder the speaker when I go back in.

My other dislike about the Prodigy platform is the view of the PSU from the side and the massive box of spaghetti it becomes when the PSU is installed. I looked at few ways to try and hide this with no real (easy) answer. Some were good, some were bad. I decided to go my own way and ordered a 12"x12" 1/8" sheet of black ABS plastic from eBay ($5).  The stuff cuts pretty easy with a razor knife.

I made a template out of cardboard and traced it onto the ABS sheet with a pencil.  After cutting it out and sanding it smooth, I ended up with some panels for the side of my PSU compartment. To mount them, I used some clear "modders" 3M double sided tape (Home Depot - $6). It's a pretty strong hold and was a bitch to maneuver.  It's not perfect, but that's only evident when you're close to the panel.  I think it looks pretty damn good.

RztnqIn.jpg

I'll add some additional pictures as we go. Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the progress because I didn't intend to do a build log originally. If you'd like some additional photos or info, please ask!

That's all I've got for now, folks.  I've got a package coming this week with my cables. It'll be a while on the window, but I can at least get things in and set up.  Stay tuned!

Looks great sofar. Cant wait to see more.

Thanks!

This is my first attempt at any serious modding (requiring power tools and ingenuity).

Thanks!

This is my first attempt at any serious modding (requiring power tools and ingenuity).

Well your doin really well considering. Looks good

UPDATES!

USPS stopped by yesterday with cables and my custom window! It'll be a few weeks before I can get to the tools to install my window, but for now...

Cables. - Bitfenix extensions in grey and 24" round SATA cables.

CG7HJ9P.jpg

SSD//SSHD//HDD

hPdtoU0.jpg

Yes, the SSD and SSHD are in heatsinks. No, the heatsinks aren't dong much (especially for the SSD  :lol: ). I used them for a uniform look since the window will show the HDD rack. They're WD Ice Packs (that come on WD Raptors).

Installed

u1Xtk54.jpg

MOBO in:

yJbJa4Z.jpg

Fan on the heatsink with decoupler.  I decided to use M3/4 screws where possible on the build.

rdkK1Wk.jpg

Close up of my ABS panel (if you're curious)...

ukm1Fxj.jpg

Decided to add additional filters up top.  The Phenom has some deadspace between the top grill and the fan mounts (as found on the Prodigy). It seemed to be the perfect fit for these -- it's too small to add a standard fan. They're on with rubber mounts.

3QeKUUv.jpg

Last but not least, a little teaser shot:

cWAdu7P.jpg

Once I get the window installed and stop tinkering with the cables I'll get more pics up. Thanks!

looks good. It's nice to see someone validate that you can make a good looking, well performing build without selling a kidney!  :D

With today's technology I often wonder why we don't have colonies on the moon or Mars. Then I go to Wal Mart for 5 minutes and realize the vast majority of the human populace isn't ready for such things.

Here's some interior shots. I'm still not 100% happy with it, but it's getting there.

Jxa8Cmh.jpg

hctJ2Tj.jpg

looks good. It's nice to see someone validate that you can make a good looking, well performing build without selling a kidney!  :D

Thanks! I couldn't justify going all out (watercooling, etc.) on such old hardware. I'm trying to hang on for Haswell-E, DDR4, and the next round of GPUs before I make a massive upgrade and invest some change.

i don't know why but it seems that you like bitfenix products....

anyway nice build!

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Update 4/14/14

One of the LEDs on my fan controllers burnt out. I thought about buying another, but decided to let the mobo manage the radiator fan. I used a drive blank to cover up the hole and the remaining controller is on the front 230mm fan.

I also swapped the SATA connectors around to give the cable a cleaner look.

Here are some updated pics:

sgRDHVq.jpg

3lKzZ35.jpg

T3TlDqB.jpg

cBflNKc.jpg

A5qntyw.jpg