Help with a usb hub

savage_tha_clown

So with looking on google and youtube I have not been able to get info I need

So I run multiple external ssd's for my games, and which means I am running out of usb port on my pc. but I cannot find any info on which usb hub would best suit running said multiple external ssd's. the top rated usb hub on youtube have bad reviews on amazon for not running simple things much less having 4 ssd running. so dose anyone have some useful tip or suggest for a affordable usb hub that can handle my issue.

34 minutes ago, savage_tha_clown said:

So with looking on google and youtube I have not been able to get info I need

So I run multiple external ssd's for my games, and which means I am running out of usb port on my pc. but I cannot find any info on which usb hub would best suit running said multiple external ssd's. the top rated usb hub on youtube have bad reviews on amazon for not running simple things much less having 4 ssd running. so dose anyone have some useful tip or suggest for a affordable usb hub that can handle my issue.

The thing I remember about hubs is they divide the speed and the power.  So you want lower bandwidth devices on them and powered hubs will deliver full wattage so it’s often important. Hubs divide in groups of four so a six port hub is often actually two four port hubs daisychained together. I forget more though.  Also this information is quite old.  Might not apply to usb3.  This is the sort of thing that Wikipedia is often good at so it might be worth looking there.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

USB Hubs only have the bandwidth of the host port for one.

As for running multiple SSDs at once off a hub, I'd recommend a powered USB 3 hub. These have a power brick that allows more high power devices to be on the hub at once.

Even better, if you have a desktop PC with a free PCIE slot, you can get USB 3 Expansion Cards to add extra ports on the back of the system that have up to 7 extra USB 3 ports on them. Just remember to get ones that connect to the power supply with a molex or SATA power connection to avoid running out of power.

https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Express-Internal-Connector-Support/dp/B099R6GD83/

9 minutes ago, LunaP0n3 said:

USB Hubs only have the bandwidth of the host port for one.

As for running multiple SSDs at once off a hub, I'd recommend a powered USB 3 hub. These have a power brick that allows more high power devices to be on the hub at once.

Even better, if you have a desktop PC with a free PCIE slot, you can get USB 3 Expansion Cards to add extra ports on the back of the system that have up to 7 extra USB 3 ports on them. Just remember to get ones that connect to the power supply with a molex or SATA power connection to avoid running out of power.

https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-Express-Internal-Connector-Support/dp/B099R6GD83/

ty for advice i would love to get the expansion card but it would cover my gpu fans since my pcie ir directly below my gpu  so i would have to stay with a hub

9 hours ago, savage_tha_clown said:

ty for advice i would love to get the expansion card but it would cover my gpu fans since my pcie ir directly below my gpu  so i would have to stay with a hub

Get yourself a large ssd you can put internally. In my experience putting games to run on ssds via USB hasn't been a good gaming experience. Sata SSDs are pretty cheap I think 2TB can be had for like 100 USD maybe even less.

A better option would maybe be to buy an add in usb c or thunderbolt card if they make them since the bandwidth I better than usb 3. I haven't looked but then if they have usb c external drives that's the way to go