Quick question: Helios 300 or Legion 5 pro?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

He is going for the modest 3060 option and don't care either Intel or AMD. I prefer the general comparison like thermals, built quality and etc. 

Well simply put the lenovo legion 5 is superior here. BUT YOU NEED TO GET THE AMD VERSION. It is cheaper and just plain better in every aspect.

The helios 300 is not a bad laptop but the legion 5 pro amd ryzen version just plain up is better in every aspect.

I am asking for my brother. He is planning to buy a new laptop for msfs 2020. He is training for pilot so he has the equipment to play it and he is always on the go so he prefers laptops. Both laptops have almost similar prices at the same config(we are from Asia) so I want to know which is better. 

What specs are these? They differ wildly. But as a general thing IF it's the ryzen lenovo legion 5 pro then it will be the better laptop as it can actually cool itself and has over double the battery life compared to the intel version whilst offering better performance due to not overheating. Keep in mind that both laptops you should NOT go for the 3080 option as that is to much heat for either.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

What specs are these? They differ wildly. But as a general thing IF it's the ryzen lenovo legion 5 pro then it will be the better laptop as it can actually cool itself and has over double the battery life compared to the intel version whilst offering better performance due to not overheating. Keep in mind that both laptops you should NOT go for the 3080 option as that is to much heat for either.

He is going for the modest 3060 option and don't care either Intel or AMD. I prefer the general comparison like thermals, built quality and etc. 

1 minute ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Well simply put the lenovo legion 5 is superior here. BUT YOU NEED TO GET THE AMD VERSION. It is cheaper and just plain better in every aspect.

The helios 300 is not a bad laptop but the legion 5 pro amd ryzen version just plain up is better in every aspect.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I see, I'll let him know. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I see, I'll let him know. Thanks

I know I'm hammering the amd thing a lot but it's true because well the intel just gets so hot that they cause the cpu and gpu to underperform in both models. Hence why I make the recommendation. In theory they have identical performance but in practice amd wins basically every time due to intel having to often consume double the power and producing a far higher heat load.

This also happens to cause intel to use a lot more battery and thus amd does better here to often giving 3x the battery life. Which for the Lenovo 80w battery version is about 7-8 hours on mobile doing generic tasks. Whilst the intel is lucky to get 3.