Synology DSM 7 drive lock bypass

Peppershade

Since this year, Synology is enforcing their own drives with minimal to no support for third party drives. This means that you cannot use other drives other than one or 2 third party drives and Synology's own HDD's. After a lot of discussions on the phone and by e-mail with Synology and our accountant with no results we decided to try fixing the problem on our own. Since there's root access to the Synology NAS there was a big chance that it was possible to mod some file to make other drives work.

And we did!

In this thread I will explain how we got the WD Gold 10 TB drives to work on a Synology RS2821RP+ (DSM 7) without any errors from DSM.

WARNING: Follow these steps at your own risk. Keep in mind that we are editing system files which could brick your NAS.

Step 1

Enable SSH on the Synology and log in with your admin account, then type:

sudo -i

and type in your password. Now you should have root access to your Synology.

Step 2

Navigate to the folder where the drive list is stored.

cd /var/lib/disk-compatibility

Now if you list the directory you should see some DB files named after your model.

Step 3

We want to edit *_host.db and *_host.db.new and add your drive. In our case we had to add this line to the DB rs2821rp+_host.db and rs2821rp+_host.db.new (Can be done with VIM editor):

{"model":"WD102KRYZ","firmware":"01.01H01","rec_intvl”:[1]},

Some drives in that file don't have a firmware defined, so for you, you could try to copy that entry and add your model number of the drive. Another option is to look in the DB for the expansion unit for your drive, we found our config there. Just make sure "rec_intvl" is set to 1 if you copy the entry. Ours was standard 3 and that didn't work.

Save and quit both files with :wq and then reboot the NAS, if everything is done correctly the NAS should say the disk status is normal.

I hope I can help some people out with this, and I hope Synology will remove this drive "whitelist".

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how this will work long term or with other drives or NAS'es, I'm just sharing my experience. Try this at your own risk.

Proof 🙂

2008427841_Screenshot2021-09-08at14_00_46.thumb.png.12df7152b12023ad09d140f55fececff.png

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum section, can't change it any more.

What version of DSM? Version 7 is now out, and upgrading to it might override that configuration. Not sure what would happen to the boot partition of the volume if it wouldn't trust the disks any longer; that would be an interesting scenario to run into...

That said, why didn't you order drives based on the official compatibility list from Synology? I wouldn't have rolled the dice on going rogue; specifically if this would be used for work/production.

15 minutes ago, StDragon said:

What version of DSM? Version 7 is now out, and upgrading to it might override that configuration. Not sure what would happen to the boot partition of the volume if it wouldn't trust the disks any longer; that would be an interesting scenario to run into...

That said, why didn't you order drives based on the official compatibility list from Synology? I wouldn't have rolled the dice on going rogue; specifically if this would be used for work/production.

It's running on DSM 7. Funny that you ask, our Synology account manager said at first they would work. We didn't look at the page yet back then. Then when they arrived, they turned out not to work. From what I've seen in the search around the system, Synology can update the drive list. We're planning on automating a script that will change the file if needed.

Another point about the Synology drives is that getting your hands on those drives is a hell. WD can deliver the drives way faster, especially in this hardware shortage.

After all, my point is that Synology is messing with us just to make a couple extra bucks and that there is no good reason for whitelisting drives from my perspective. Of course they come with extra firmware with more support, but what is the point of locking other manufacturers out? So far they work perfect, and I'll continue testing them for the next months.

1 hour ago, Peppershade said:

After all, my point is that Synology is messing with us just to make a couple extra bucks and that there is no good reason for whitelisting drives from my perspective. Of course they come with extra firmware with more support, but what is the point of locking other manufacturers out? So far they work perfect, and I'll continue testing them for the next months.

Rationale is mixed. On one hand, it's a money grab from Synology to hawk their own drives. On the other, they need to perform QA/QC to ensure compatibility; specifically with regards to error recovery control (ERC / TLER) and performance (CMR vs SMR platters).

FYI, I've had some sketchy results with WD Reds Pros and since moved on to IronWolf Pros. But above all, choose what's on the official supported list. And if a Synology rep says otherwise, be sure to get it in writing (e-mail) and not just verbally. Just some friendly advice.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

Rationale is mixed. On one hand, it's a money grab from Synology to hawk their own drives. On the other, they need to perform QA/QC to ensure compatibility; specifically with regards to error recovery control (ERC / TLER) and performance (CMR vs SMR platters).

FYI, I've had some sketchy results with WD Reds Pros and since moved on to IronWolf Pros. But above all, choose what's on the official supported list. And if a Synology rep says otherwise, be sure to get it in writing (e-mail) and not just verbally. Just some friendly advice.

There is fundamentally nothing wrong with using ANY disks. You should be able to use any HDD you want. Of course, some HDD's have much better quality. My personal NAS at home is running for already 5 years on the same WD Reds, imo Seagate disks are much worse quality wise. Synology shouldn't enforce disks and those reps are really bad at their job, since they recommended those disks in the first place. The rep contacted Synology technicians about our case and they specifically said it wasn't possible, which is BS as proven above. Don't take it personally but this is absolutely ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Peppershade said:

There is fundamentally nothing wrong with using ANY disks. You should be able to use any HDD you want.

You can read up on the forums, but basically SMR drives were so slow on write-backs that they started dropping out of the array. Probably due to going past TLER thresholds, who knows. But it's a fact that not all drive characteristics are the same, and when you pool them under one volume, they all better start working in lock-step with each-other or you're going to run into performance issues.

Now you could argue that Synology should have coded their OS to be more forgiving of a mixed drive environment, but that's their call. I suppose a better option would be for DSM to flag a giant disclaimer that while they won't stop you from using any drive you want, they will also not provide official support for using them either; as in, you're on your own.

I'll also toss in an axiomatic truism worth adhering to - "Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:56 AM, Peppershade said:

You are my hero @peppershade!  Not only that, but Synology should kiss your feet because you just saved them a return on a brand new RS2421+ and their own stupid branded RAM!  It's beyond absurd that we cannot use Seagate's BOG STANDARD Enterprise Grade 16TB HDDs in these Linux boxes, especially when we cannot even buy Synology HDDs during pandemic.  Synology and Apple are heading to the tar pits of dinosaur customer-screwing behavior. 

Again, THANK YOU!!  🙂     

PS: If anyone's wondering, you can find your HDD model number and firmware by going: Main Menu / Storage Manager (the one that looks like a cylinder) / HDD/SDD and then expanding the tabs for each drive.   ;-)

On 9/8/2021 at 12:56 PM, Peppershade said:

Since this year, Synology is enforcing their own drives with minimal to no support for third party drives. This means that you cannot use other drives other than one or 2 third party drives and Synology's own HDD's

Probably should note that you're implying this is across all lines, when it's only enterprise - NOT consumer/diskstation branded products.

https://www.androidcentral.com/heres-why-synology-switched-validated-disks-enterprise-nas-enclosures

On 9/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Peppershade said:

Step 1

sudo -i

Step 2

Now if you list the directory you should see some DB files named after your model.

Step 3

We want to edit *_host.db and *_host.db.new and add your drive. In our case we had to add this line to the DB rs2821rp+_host.db and rs2821rp+_host.db.new (Can be done with VIM editor):

Some drives in that file don't have a firmware defined, so for you, you could try to copy that entry and add your model number of the drive. Another option is to look in the DB for the expansion unit for your drive, we found our config there. Just make sure "rec_intvl" is set to 1 if you copy the entry. Ours was standard 3 and that didn't work.

Thank you SOO much for the info! But... I do have some issues. I want to add Seagate IronWolf PRO's to the list of my 3621xs+ but I can't find "*_host.db.new" file. 

I "only" have these files:

image.thumb.png.82d432c089a9f095eca9e3b471f9a19a.png

If I just edit "rs3621xs+_host.db" and add this to the end ",{"model":"ST8000NE001-2M7101","firmware":"EN01","rec_intvl":[1]}" it does not work:

image.thumb.png.5cddfef598127e3da9f4d583969b5774.png

Any ideas?

Regards..

EDIT:

I managed to make things work.. I needed to edit "*_v7.db" file, rebooted and now it stopped with the annoying "critical" error..

• 1 month later...

Doesn't seem to work on update DSM 7.0.1-42218

Anyone who has it working on this update?

I got rid of the "critical" error and WD141KFGX-68FH9N0 drives are showing up as healthy in our RS3621xs+ running DSM 7.0.1-42218,  I am not able to get our RX1217RP loaded with the same 14TB WD drives to work yet, has anyone had any success with an expansion enclosure and "Incompatible" drives?

18 hours ago, Hornschnitzler said:

I got rid of the "critical" error and WD141KFGX-68FH9N0 drives are showing up as healthy in our RS3621xs+ running DSM 7.0.1-42218,  I am not able to get our RX1217RP loaded with the same 14TB WD drives to work yet, has anyone had any success with an expansion enclosure and "Incompatible" drives?

I've seen some specific files for expansion units in the same folder, have you tried those yet?

I figured out that I had to edit

/var/lib/disk-compatibility/rs2421+_host_v7.db
/var/lib/disk-compatibility/rs2421+_host.db
replace WD4003FFBX with ST16000NM001G-2KK103

reboot.  Back to "Normal"...for now.  I wish there were an easy way to turn OFF "up"dates FOREVER now.  I know Synbastards will kill this fix at some point, and I'll be stuck without my data.  I'm NEVER buying anything else from Synbastards again.  I knew better, but I was tired and lazy.  It would have been MUCH LESS work to have just homebrewed my own server at the outset.  sigh

Interestingly enough, I found my HDD ID string in several files in that subdirectory:

% grep -l ST16000NM001G-2KK103 *
dx1215_v7.db
dx1215ii_v7.db
dx213_v7.db
dx513_v7.db
dx517_v7.db
rs2421+_host.db
rs2421+_host.db.new
rs2421+_host_v7.db
rx1214_v7.db
rx1214rp_v7.db
rx1216sas_v7.db
rx1217.db
rx1217_v7.db
rx1217rp.db
rx1217rp_v7.db
rx1217sas_v7.db
rx415_v7.db
rx418_v7.db

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 9:05 AM, whispous said:

Probably should note that you're implying this is across all lines, when it's only enterprise - NOT consumer/diskstation branded products.

That was back in September, but the newly released Diskstation 2422+ is limited to 1 WD 4TB drive, apart from that you have to buy synology.

As I've always used Ironwolf Pro's this came as a bit of a shock and so it was returned to the vendor.

Sure there are hacks, but what happens if something goes wrong and you need support, you'll be stuffed.

• 1 month later...

Hi, would you mind sharing the 'lspci -tvnn' results for the DS3622xs+ from the terminal interface, I would like to do some research but lack the data. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

This solution seemed to work for a while but doesn't anymore.
RS3521xs+ with an RX1217rp extension.  DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 3
The Ironwolf Pros in the extension show as unverified. The Synology HDDs in the main unit are ok.

Our RS3618xs with an RX1217rp extension is fine.

Maybe I should copy the compatibility files across, and change the references to the server/expansion model?

• 2 weeks later...

We also had to update the rs3621xs+_host_v7.db file to make this work.

Also used sudo smartctl -i /dev/sdc to get the exact model and formware.

Here are the commands

edited these files.

sudo vim rs3621xs+_host.db
sudo vim rs3621xs+_host.db.new

{"model":"WD181KFGX-68AFPN0","firmware":"83.00A83","rec_intvl”:[1]},

sudo vim rs3621xs+_host_v7.db

"WD181KFGX-68AFPN0":{"83.00A83":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}

Way to go peppershade. This is great stuff.  So upset with Synology.  Not sure I will buy again.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, Peppershade said:

Since this year, Synology is enforcing their own drives with minimal to no support for third party drives. This means that you cannot use other drives other than one or 2 third party drives and Synology's own HDD's. After a lot of discussions on the phone and by e-mail with Synology and our accountant with no results we decided to try fixing the problem on our own. Since there's root access to the Synology NAS there was a big chance that it was possible to mod some file to make other drives work.

And we did!

In this thread I will explain how we got the WD Gold 10 TB drives to work on a Synology RS2821RP+ (DSM 7) without any errors from DSM.

WARNING: Follow these steps at your own risk. Keep in mind that we are editing system files which could brick your NAS.

Step 1

sudo -i

Step 2

Step 3

Save and quit both files with :wq and then reboot the NAS, if everything is done correctly the NAS should say the disk status is normal.

I hope I can help some people out with this, and I hope Synology will remove this drive "whitelist".

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea how this will work long term or with other drives or NAS'es, I'm just sharing my experience. Try this at your own risk.

Proof 🙂

2008427841_Screenshot2021-09-08at14_00_46.thumb.png.12df7152b12023ad09d140f55fececff.png

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum section, can't change it any more.

Hi, I've registered just to say thanks for sharing this 🙂 it's much more reassuring to see the green 'normal' sign than the red 'critical' one...

• 4 weeks later...

It took me a little to realize that the expansion cards have their own db files.

But after adding the SSDs for the cache to the list... all green!

Thank you very much for sharing this information.

Forcing users to buy only their product line by hiding crucial drive information and displaying errors where a one-time "warning" would be more than enough is just a shitty move.

I really hope they at least never change how drives are deemed "verified".

Or even better, decide to stop that crap.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 110132.png

I was tried to add Samsung 870 EVO 4TB with:

"MZ77E4T0":{"SVT01B6Q":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}

to rs2421rp+_host_v7.db and rs2421rp+_host_v7.db.new

and

WD Red SN700 2TB PCiE on e10m20-t1 with:

"WDS200T1R0B":{"112000WD":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}

to rs2421rp+_e10m20-t1_v7.db and rs2421rp+_e10m20-t1_v7.db.bak

but without change.

IronWolf RED Pro are ok

Any idea?

Many thanks

Are you using the correct name for the drives?

See screenshot below for name and firmware.

Capture 2022-04-22 at 22.52.23.353.png

you are the best. Many thanks.

obrazek.png.2e423b8b95f3ec4e2b388529bbd47bcf.png

@Acad

Can you please share your rs2421+_host_v7.db ? You're already done and everyone is looking for this file :)

"ST8000NE0021-2EN112":{"EN02":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}
"ST10000VN0008-2JJ101":{"SC60":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}
"ST10000NE0008-2JM101":{"EN01":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}
"ST8000VN0022-2EL112":{"SC61":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]},"default":{"compatibility_interval":[{"compatibility":"support"}]}}

Copy the File to /var/lib/disk-compatibility

and replace

rs2421+_host_v7.db

rs2421+_host_v7.db.new

Done

rs2421+_host_v7.db

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to DSM 7.1. It's still working for me!

Had to modify the files again, but that's not a big deal.