Good idea to get 850w psu over 750w?

kacarrot

I just had an epiphany after finding out I bought the older revision of the Focus PSUs which might have been the root of my problems. And even if they weren't, I can't stand their stupid cables that must have like 20 feet long tungsten rods inside of them so I want to replace the thing. Before nvidia ampere it seemed the general consensus was to buy what you need (as a result, ended up with a 500w + 550w + now my focus 650w sitting around), now it seems like you should give yourself a lot of headroom for these cards? I'm super lost... I'm using a 1600/2080 right now and Idk what card I'm going to get in the future, it could be a 3060ti, a 3080, whatever, I might not even be able to get a card this gen and I might get the 4080ti. 

What should I do in this case? Get a 750w Leadexx III for $90?

Or go the next step into 850w for "futureproofing"? I want something to last a long time so if 850w.... I very narrowly missed out on the Leadexx III for $110, are the Fractal Ion Gold @ $110 or the MSI A850GF @ $108 good alternatives? Kinda leaning towards the MSI because I could use some Best Buy credit on it...

26 minutes ago, kacarrot said:

I just had an epiphany after finding out I bought the older revision of the Focus PSUs which might have been the root of my problems. And even if they weren't, I can't stand their stupid cables that must have like 20 feet long tungsten rods inside of them so I want to replace the thing. Before nvidia ampere it seemed the general consensus was to buy what you need (as a result, ended up with a 500w + 550w + now my focus 650w sitting around), now it seems like you should give yourself a lot of headroom for these cards? I'm super lost... I'm using a 1600/2080 right now and Idk what card I'm going to get in the future, it could be a 3060ti, a 3080, whatever, I might not even be able to get a card this gen and I might get the 4080ti. 

Or go the next step into 850w for "futureproofing"? I want something to last a long time so if 850w.... I very narrowly missed out on the Leadexx III for $110, are the Fractal Ion Gold @ $110 or the MSI A850GF @ $108 good alternatives? Kinda leaning towards the MSI because I could use some Best Buy credit on it...

I can't help you in regards to which of these PSUs is the best, however when it comes to power, either 750W or 850W will do fine for a sizeable amount of years. GPUs are getting more powerful, but also more efficient, and so are CPUs. On one hand, go for the 850W, because, there's no real benefit of getting a weaker PSU, on the other hand, a 750W PSU should do just fine. You also have to consider, that the industry is slowly leaning to the 12V only PSUs, which will need different motherboards, and will have different connectors. So it might just be that the known type of PSU becomes obsolete sooner, than You'll reach the maxim wattage of the PSU you buy.

6 hours ago, kacarrot said:

The Leadex III is ok as long as it's cheap. The Ion has a very quiet and flexible cable. The MSI is the best, but maybe it's not very quiet in the idle state.

8 hours ago, AlliedVera said:

I can't help you in regards to which of these PSUs is the best, however when it comes to power, either 750W or 850W will do fine for a sizeable amount of years. GPUs are getting more powerful, but also more efficient, and so are CPUs. On one hand, go for the 850W, because, there's no real benefit of getting a weaker PSU, on the other hand, a 750W PSU should do just fine. You also have to consider, that the industry is slowly leaning to the 12V only PSUs, which will need different motherboards, and will have different connectors. So it might just be that the known type of PSU becomes obsolete sooner, than You'll reach the maxim wattage of the PSU you buy.

Thank you, this is very helpful info. Didn't think we were already in the process of seeing such drastic changes in our current components. I will have to rethink my futureproofing comment.

3 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

The Leadex III is ok as long as it's cheap. The Ion has a very quiet and flexible cable. The MSI is the best, but maybe it's not very quiet in the idle state.

Just seeing the word flexible makes me drool at this point. Recently got a new case and was instantly reminded by my crappy PSU cables. Noise is a bummer but I have a window fan on in my room like 1/3 of the year so maybe I'm not that sensitive to noise afterall.

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

would be the best option out of the three. 

Good to know, thanks!!

8 hours ago, leclod said:

This is the way, here

That's the list I used to come down to those 3 Tier A PSUs, yes

On 9/7/2021 at 4:24 AM, kacarrot said:

Id suggest the 850 watt because the last thing you want is to upgrade a part down the road and not have enough power. Futureproofing for like 20 dollars more is definitely worth it.