GPU upgrade help

Liborio

Hi,

I currently have a 2060 Super and am wanting to upgrade to 2x 3060ti's. If i were to purchase them, would it be a matter of shutting down, taking out the 2060 super and plugging in the 2x 3060ti's? (plug and play?)

Current specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600MHz

Please let me know if any other information is needed.

Thank you for any help in advanced.

Why two?

Sli is pointless today.

Unless?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You might as well get a single more powerful GPU instead of paying for two RTX 3060 Ti's, SLi is pretty much dead, same goes for AMD's CrossFire. I'd suggest an RTX 3080/RX 6800 XT or higher.

And no, not advisable to try that 'plug and play' method. First, before swapping out your cards, be sure to download the latest driver and have it in your computer for easy installation. Next, uninstall the driver for your RTX 2060, I'd recommend running DDU in 'Safe Mode' (you can check one of the options on DDU to prevent Windows from downloading some crap old driver upon reboot) to totally erase all traces of the present driver (DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller, google it if you don't already have it). 

Once that is done, power off your computer, and switch off the PSU (using the On/off switch on PSU), or simply unplug  the PSU from the wall socket. Swap out the cards, be sure that the new card is securely seated in the PCIe X16 slot. You can now power up your system and install the latest driver...

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

9 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Why two?

Sli is pointless today.

Unless?

9 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

You might as well get a single more powerful GPU instead of paying for two RTX 3060 Ti's, SLi is pretty much dead, same goes for AMD's CrossFire. I'd suggest an RTX 3080/RX 6800 XT or higher.

And no, not advisable to try that 'plug and play' method. First, before swapping out your cards, be sure to download the latest driver and have it in your computer for easy installation. Next, uninstall the driver for your RTX 2060, I'd recommend running DDU in 'Safe Mode' (you can check one of the options on DDU to prevent Windows from downloading some crap old driver upon reboot) to totally erase all traces of the present driver (DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller, google it if you don't already have it). 

Once that is done, power off your computer, and switch off the PSU (using the On/off switch on PSU), or simply unplug  the PSU from the wall socket. Swap out the cards, be sure that the new card is securely seated in the PCIe X16 slot. You can now power up your system and install the latest driver...

Thank you for your responses. The reason I am going with 2x 3060ti's is for crypto mining. These two are most efficient in regards to power/hashrate rather than 1 3090 for example. Right so I will use DDU to uninstall then once it is all shutdown and powered down, I unplug the 2060 super, plug in the 2x 3060ti's then boot back into safe mode to install the nvidia drivers again? Or just boot into Windows normally with no drivers installed?

39 minutes ago, Liborio said:

If i were to purchase them, would it be a matter of shutting down, taking out the 2060 super and plugging in the 2x 3060ti's? (plug and play?)

So long as your PSU can supply enough power, and has all the necessary 6/8-pin cables - It should be plug and play.

13 minutes ago, AlliedVera said:

So long as your PSU can supply enough power, and has all the necessary 6/8-pin cables - It should be plug and play.

It is a Corsair RM750x White Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.

22 minutes ago, AlliedVera said:

This is not how it works, you can't swap cards and treat it as 'plug and play', most likely, your OS will treat the new card9s0 as unrecognized device or generic VGA. When you want to swap out or change cards, it is recommended to use DDU to wipe away all traces of previous driver to ensure a good and clean install. This is true even when swapping cards from the same company like the OP/TS....

I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with a 750W PSU for the 3900X and 2x RTX 3060 Ti, I'd feel better if it were an 850W Gold rated PSU. I always err on the side of safety when it comes to PSU, so I'd always go for more than 'just enough' by a fair margin.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 minute ago, GamerDude said:

This is not how it works, you can't swap cards and treat it as 'plug and play', most likely, your OS will treat the new card9s0 as unrecognized device or generic VGA. When you want to swap out or change cards, it is recommended to use DDU to wipe away all traces of previous driver to ensure a good and clean install. This is true even when swapping cards from the same company like the OP/TS....

I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with a 750W PSU for the 3900X and 2x RTX 3060 Ti, I'd feel better if it were an 850W Gold rated PSU. I always err on the side of safety when it comes to PSU, so I'd always go for more than 'just enough' by a fair margin.

This is great feedback.

I did this quickly and do see it cuts it close: https://imgur.com/a/KrgWHGX

Thank you for your input.

9 minutes ago, Liborio said:

This is great feedback.

I did this quickly and do see it cuts it close: https://imgur.com/a/KrgWHGX

Thank you for your input.

youre going to downclock your cards anyways to run at about 160w each so youre well within the limit(just be careful which exact card you buy cuz some of them require 2 power cables)

Just now, ki8aras said:

youre going to downclock your cards anyways to run at about 160w each so youre well within the limit(just be careful which exact card you buy cuz some of them require 2 power cables)

I believe i would be overclocking as they will be used for mining to squeeze the most out of them.

I dont think ive ever seen anyone downclocking when mining?

1 minute ago, Liborio said:

I believe i would be overclocking as they will be used for mining to squeeze the most out of them.

I dont think ive ever seen anyone downclocking when mining?

you overclock the memory and lower the power limit to about 80% for efficiency (ive got 4 3060 ti's mining in the basement)

18 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

you overclock the memory and lower the power limit to about 80% for efficiency (ive got 4 3060 ti's mining in the basement)

Right I see, thats awesome man.

Thats what i want to achieve, but going to start with 2 3060ti's on my existing gaming PC:

Case: In Win 303 Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case - White
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
PSU: Corsair RM750x White Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
SSD 1: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Any advice or tips that you can think of from whats been said so far? & do you think my current PSU will definitely be okay?

Also what can you tell me about LHR gpu's? Will they be an issue because im struggling to see any cards that dont have LHR.

34 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Yes, my mistake.

From a physical standpoint it's plug and play, but you need to clear and install the drivers properly. Although, windows will recognize your GPUs correctly, and they will more or less run properly, You should still Wipe the Drivers, since there will be occasional issues with them otherwise. 

About the 750W PSU though, you could theoretically get away with it, If you had an Athlon.

However with a Ryzen 9 it's different.

It would probably run fine for the most part,(Since while gaming, You'd really be using only one of the cards, and while mining, You wouldn't be using Your CPU, hopefully) but I would advise against using this PSU.

1 minute ago, AlliedVera said:

Yes, my mistake.

From a physical standpoint it's plug and play, but you need to clear and install the drivers properly. Although, windows will recognize your GPUs correctly, and they will more or less run properly, You should still Wipe the Drivers, since there will be occasional issues with them otherwise. 

About the 750W PSU though, you could theoretically get away with it, If you had an Athlon.

However with a Ryzen 9 it's different.

It would probably run fine for the most part,(Since while gaming, You'd really be using only one of the cards, and while mining, You wouldn't be using Your CPU, hopefully) but I would advise against using this PSU.

Appreciate your input. Will keep this in mind.

2 hours ago, Liborio said:

Right I see, thats awesome man.

Thats what i want to achieve, but going to start with 2 3060ti's on my existing gaming PC:

Case: In Win 303 Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX Case - White
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
PSU: Corsair RM750x White Series 750W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
SSD 1: Samsung SSD 970 PRO 512GB
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Any advice or tips that you can think of from whats been said so far? & do you think my current PSU will definitely be okay?

Also what can you tell me about LHR gpu's? Will they be an issue because im struggling to see any cards that dont have LHR.

you would be fine with a 750w but youre leaving yourself no room for expandability in the future(meaning youd need to get a second psu to add more cards, which isnt ideal)

1 minute ago, ki8aras said:

you would be fine with a 750w but youre leaving yourself no room for expandability in the future(meaning youd need to get a second psu to add more cards, which isnt ideal)

This would just be short term until im willing to build a dedicated rig setup for mining. Just really confused on what to do GPU wise with my current setup.

A bit thrown off with getting 2 3060ti's as multiple people are saying im stretching it with my current PSU.

Im also thinking if i just keep my 2060 super and throw in 1 3060ti with it?

3 minutes ago, Liborio said:

This would just be short term until im willing to build a dedicated rig setup for mining. Just really confused on what to do GPU wise with my current setup.

A bit thrown off with getting 2 3060ti's as multiple people are saying im stretching it with my current PSU.

Im also thinking if i just keep my 2060 super and throw in 1 3060ti with it?

unless you can sell the 2060 for a decent chunk of cash then i would recommend u hold onto it, plus power consumption will be lower so yea

Just now, ki8aras said:

unless you can sell the 2060 for a decent chunk of cash then i would recommend u hold onto it, plus power consumption will be lower so yea

Okay I might do that, just throw in another 3060ti. Will i still need to use DDU for fresh drivers?

1 minute ago, Liborio said:

Okay I might do that, just throw in another 3060ti. Will i still need to use DDU for fresh drivers?

nope

59 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

nope

Okay great. Also noticed all GPU now have LHR. Is this a problem? What are your thoughts about this?

Thinking of grabbing Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming OC Pro 8GB Video Card - Rev 3.0 LHR Version