Massive Hashrate drops om RTX 3090 GIGABYTR GAMING OC when mining

Super panda

Hi guys,

So I recently decided to mine on my rtx 3090 gigabyte gaming oc and the first week everything was fine and I had constantly a hashrate of 120 mh/s but gpu memory temp was getting quite hot (110 C) so yesterday I decided to put some thermaltape, heatsink and a 3000rpm fan on the backplate of the card and while that helped with the gpu memory temp (around 94-96 C now and gpu core around 42 C) it made my hashrate extremely unstable, like one minute I'm at 120 mh/s and next minute it drops all the way down to 35 mh/s. I know that thermal throtteling with rtx 3090 starts at 110 C and a few days ago i had a much more stable hashrate despite the higher memory temps. I'm aware that replacing thermal pads on the card can help a lot with gpu memory temps but i like to avoid that since I have nevet done something like this before and there is a chance of breaking your gpu + my warranty will be gone. Also yesterday after adding the heatsink and fan on the backplate I started getting some BSODS like this Machine_Check_Exception and have a hard time getting booting up the windows sometimes. So I'm not quite sure what's going on here ? My guess is that there is still some part of gpu overheating while mining and there isn't any sensor on it and it causes these weird hashrate drops ? If that's the case maybe changing the stock thermal pads on the card is my only option then ? But even then it still doesn't explain the machine check exception bsods I'm getting. Any advice/tips is much appriciated & Thanks !

Some additional info:

I'm mining ethereum using T-rex miner and using ethermine.org for mining pool. I have tried other mining softwares and pools and same hashrate drop is happening. Also when the hashrate drop is happening I noticed my gpu core clock goes up a little and reaches 1400mhs even tho it was locked at 1200mhz and when the hashrate drop is gone the core clock goes back to 1200mhz

So you not only took apart your 2000-3000$ card, now youve caused a lot of issues.... Why did you think adding thermal tape would help at all?

Take off the thermal tape and other crap, the fan can help, but the back plate isnt all that great the heat transfer. If you want to properly do it, id probably get one of the dual side cooling waterblocks built for 3090's.

if you are hitting 110c though idk it seems like you will kill the card far sooner then you will get the return on investment.

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

So you not only took apart your 2000-3000$ card, now youve caused a lot of issues.... Why did you think adding thermal tape would help at all?

Take off the thermal tape and other crap, the fan can help, but the back plate isnt all that great the heat transfer. If you want to properly do it, id probably get one of the dual side cooling waterblocks built for 3090's.

if you are hitting 110c though idk it seems like you will kill the card far sooner then you will get the return on investment.

I don't think u paid attention to what I said 😅 I did NOT take the card apart as I mention in my post, I did put some thermal tape on the backplate of the card and today I decided to remove the thermal tape and just let the heatsink and fan on the back plate. Even when the temps are at around 94-96 C which is still high but not high enough to thermal throttle the massive hashrate drop is still happening

The problem may be your video card manufacturer.  I have heard gigabyte has a terrible reputation for putting in junk thermal pads.  They deteriorate extremely quick.  Try disassembling the card and replace the thermal pads.  They apparently turn into leaky, oily messes after a time.  Watch a video online before attempting.  Some cards have non standard thermal pad dimensions.  If this is the case don't disassemble.  Good luck on your mining adventures.  BTW ehtermine has recently begun severely under reporting my hash rate.  Seems like a money grab.  I am currently looking into a new pool.  I put in a new rx 6600xt and the rate went up by 31 mh originally but now i only get 10 mhs more than i used to.  Don't know if this is the problem you may be experiencing.  The teamred miner still reports the same hash rates, just not ethermine.

Have you tweaked your clocks? Try reigning in the power target, core clocks and memory clocks to see if you can get it stable.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 12:23 PM, Super panda said:

Update : issue is solved still thx for tglhe reply

I have a similar issue.  Can you share how did you solve the issue? Thanks