How to properly discharge a psu before cleaning?

MrP6k

i got an old pc that i want to clean all the way,

and the atk psu is very dirty that i can see dirt coming out of it when i turn the pc on.

how do i properly discharge the psu before opening it and blowing the dirt out of it (& clean the fan)?

Feel free to @ me if you have any questions!
Please press the button if you think my advice was helpful! Thanks!

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-Zotac gtx 970 (the wimpy version)
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

Dont open it up. Unplug it from your computer and take it to somewhere that has compressed air, blow it out without disassembling it. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, MrP6k said:

i got an old pc that i want to clean all the way,

and the atk psu is very dirty that i can see dirt coming out of it when i turn the pc on.

how do i properly discharge the psu before opening it and blowing the dirt out of it (& clean the fan)?

Don't open it up, do as @Levent suggested use compressed air, out of an air compressor or something that has good air pressure and blow it out through the fan and grill if it has one. PSUs are very, very dangerous and if you have to ask a question like this I would NOT recommend you try to take it apart and clean it. Simply dusting it out with an air compressor should get it plenty clean.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

11 minutes ago, Levent said:

Dont open it up. Unplug it from your computer and take it to somewhere that has compressed air, blow it out without disassembling it. 

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Don't open it up, do as @Levent suggested use compressed air, out of an air compressor or something that has good air pressure and blow it out through the fan and grill if it has one. PSUs are very, very dangerous and if you have to ask a question like this I would NOT recommend you try to take it apart and clean it. Simply dusting it out with an air compressor should get it plenty clean.

do you know any other options besides compressed air? mine already ran out
i tried smacking the dirt out of it but it did little to nothing

"Min-Maxing may not always be the best thing to do, but I will always try." - Me, 2021

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-256gb V-gen nvme ssd (@ me if you want to know how I gave my P67 board NVME support)
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

1 minute ago, MrP6k said:

man don't hit it

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, MrP6k said:

I would recommend getting new compressed air because it's useful for a lot of stuff.

If for whatever reason you can't, send the PSU to a professional and do not open it yourself. It's very dangerous, dangerous enough to kill you.

2 minutes ago, MrP6k said:

Unplug it and take it to any car workshop nearby. Compressed air not that hard to come by at workshops.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, MrP6k said:

Don't hit or shake the PSU, that should be a given. We are talking compressed air as in an actual air compressor(they're used in shops and garages to blow dust and dirt off of workspaces and to air things up such as car tires). Not canned air, do not use canned air it will just be a waste, it's usually not strong enough and not enough in general to clean out a PSU.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

man don't hit it

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Don't hit or shake the PSU, that should be a given. We are talking compressed air as in an actual air compressor(they're used in shops and garages to blow dust and dirt off of workspaces and to air things up such as car tires). Not canned air, do not use canned air. 

oh, i thought since a psu doesn't have any mechanical parts besides the fan it'd be fine

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Unplug it and take it to any car workshop nearby. Compressed air not that hard to come by at workshops.

i don't have any nearby unfortunately, does a vacuum work?

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

5 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I would recommend getting new compressed air because it's useful for a lot of stuff.

If for whatever reason you can't, send the PSU to a professional and do not open it yourself. It's very dangerous, dangerous enough to kill you.

yeah i'm fully aware that it's dangerous. it's the whole reason i'm asking how to discharge it safely

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

so i dislodged all the dirt on the Psu's fan that i can reach without opening it with two q-tips
(the fan was REALLY caked in dirt)

PC specs:
-i5 2500k
-TP67B+
-1tb wd blue hdd
-Corsair CX550
-MSI Mag forge 100r

2 hours ago, MrP6k said:

do you know any other options besides compressed air?

Electric dusters.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

man don't hit it

Lol. That's how they cleaned rugs before vacuum cleaners were invented.

How do you think they cleaned PSUs before they invented compressed air ? 

😄

9 hours ago, MrP6k said:

oh, i thought since a psu doesn't have any mechanical parts besides the fan it'd be fine

The problem is the mechanical shock and vibration, can cause extra stress in the PCB and solder joins to crack and fail, components possibly to start breaking away and other not good things. 

Things like conformal coatings, silicone/adhesives on components, epoxy potting or dipping can make a board more resilient to shock and vibration.

One of those things, like if you drop it, probably fine but it's not great that it happened you know ?