OLED vs QLED - bright room

TheWai

Hello,

I’m moving into a new place and looking to buy a TV. I’ve been on the fence between which technology would be right for my use-case. 

My use-case

The TV will be in a small condo, so the environment will definitely be a mixed use room. I don’t watch movies/ shows in pitch dark that often (but will occasionally). Most of the time I’ll watch during the day or have some lights on. Content wise, it’ll be mostly sports and Netflix. I don’t own a console, so likely will not be gaming on this TV.

The TV will sit pretty much beside a big window (floor to ceiling), but the window faces north west, which means there won’t be too much direct sunlight until during sunset hours. 

I’m not sure if I’ll get a lot of glare based on the placement, but if so, I would want my TV to have decent reflection handling.

The Dilemma

Based on the research I’ve done, the I’ve heard in general that OLED is for dark rooms while QLED is for bright environments. However, I went to a Best Buy and the OLEDs didn’t have too much glare despite being in a fully lit store. Would an OLED be suitable for my use-case, or will it not get bright enough to fight off the incoming light/ reflections from the large windows? 

Budget/ possible options 

In case this helps answer my question, I’m trying to stay below ~$2,700CAD, so the top end OLEDs are out of the picture. Models I’m considering right now for OLEDs are the Sony A80J and LG C1 (when on sale). The QLED options on my list are the Samsung Q70A or last years Samsung Q90T. Open to suggestions but would like to stick between LG, Sony and Samsung. Screen size will be 65”.

Thanks in advance!

store lighting will be very different from sunlight when it comes to glare. Stores will also put display models in a "Demo" or "Saturation" mode that ramps up the brightness and contrast to look good in store lighting. QLED is typically able to get brighter then OLED and is thus better for a brighter environment but there are always exceptions.

Nothing beats OLED picture quality for me, but I'd go with QLED in your case. I have east facing windows with a building next to them, but on the brightest parts of the day with lots of reflections my C9 really struggles to overcome the environmental light. Unfortunately that's the price to pay for black being completely black. QLEDs are by no means bad though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

20 hours ago, TheWai said:

Hello,

I’m moving into a new place and looking to buy a TV. I’ve been on the fence between which technology would be right for my use-case. 

My use-case

The TV will be in a small condo, so the environment will definitely be a mixed use room. I don’t watch movies/ shows in pitch dark that often (but will occasionally). Most of the time I’ll watch during the day or have some lights on. Content wise, it’ll be mostly sports and Netflix. I don’t own a console, so likely will not be gaming on this TV.

The TV will sit pretty much beside a big window (floor to ceiling), but the window faces north west, which means there won’t be too much direct sunlight until during sunset hours. 

I’m not sure if I’ll get a lot of glare based on the placement, but if so, I would want my TV to have decent reflection handling.

The Dilemma

Based on the research I’ve done, the I’ve heard in general that OLED is for dark rooms while QLED is for bright environments. However, I went to a Best Buy and the OLEDs didn’t have too much glare despite being in a fully lit store. Would an OLED be suitable for my use-case, or will it not get bright enough to fight off the incoming light/ reflections from the large windows? 

Budget/ possible options 

In case this helps answer my question, I’m trying to stay below ~$2,700CAD, so the top end OLEDs are out of the picture. Models I’m considering right now for OLEDs are the Sony A80J and LG C1 (when on sale). The QLED options on my list are the Samsung Q70A or last years Samsung Q90T. Open to suggestions but would like to stick between LG, Sony and Samsung. Screen size will be 65”.

Thanks in advance!

Artificial lighting is usually fine unless it's bright and directly behind the set. It's the natural light which might be annoying, although if it's only during sunset you might not have too much to worry about.

With that said: if there's any doubt, go with QLED. The OLED sets will definitely offer better overall image quality, but high contrast and a consistent picture won't matter as much if you're squinting at the screen.

9 hours ago, TheWai said:

Thanks everyone for the responses! Seems like QLED is the safer choice for me.

QLED's are getting really close to OLED in terms of overall quality. Especially if you can snag a QLED that uses a MicroLED Array (I believe the Samsung QN series does this - as does some LG ones too).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)