Choosing laptop in 1000 USD/ 850 EUR price range

Hello there, I've been using my Surface 2 since it launched in 2013 but I'm starting Uni in 2022 and a 9 year old laptop won't do. I'm going to need a laptop that can survive and perform until 2027 and was looking at the Acer Aspire 7 vs 5. Both have 16GB ram, 512GB m.2 SSD, and a 5700U. The 5700U is still Zen 2 but quite capable - especially compared to my old Surface's i5-4300U. The major difference between the two is the 1650 non Ti in the 7 vs Vega 8 iGPU in the 5. In Sweden I've found the 7 for 9990 SEK, about 980 EUR and 1155 USD, and the 5 for 8690 SEK, about 850 EUR and 1000 USD. Currently there's a 48hr flash sale in a nordic online retailer for the 7 at 8490 SEK. Anyone have any viable competitors that can beat the 7 in that price range or beat the 5 in its price range considering the 7 out of sale is a bit over my budget? Also any ideas on laptops in a similar range to the 7's normal price that might go down during Cyber Monday or Black Friday?

Thanks in advance for any help

Here are the sites as well just in case:

Acer Aspire 7 https://www.komplett.se/product/1190765/gaming/speldator/barbar/acer-aspire-7-a715-42g-156-fhd

Acer Aspire 5 https://www.inet.se/produkt/1965925/acer-aspire-5-15-6-ryzen-7-16gb-512gb

In my opinion there is much more to a laptop than the raw specs. The build quality, cooling, battery life keyboard and screen are equally if not more important. I do have some experience with some of the cheaper acer products (but not the Aspire 7), and I would advise against buying them. They are cheaper than the competition for a reason, they usually skimp on build quality. Some of my recommendations are more expensive Dell laptops (Precision or XPS), the current HP Envy lineup or ThinkPad's from Lenovo. All come with decent keyboards and good build quality.

My main question here is what are you doing for university? What will the laptop be used for?

From personal and semi professional? experience these aspires likely won't last your desired 7 years. Spec wise they are fine but they aren't made with well enough to last that long. Good laptops but not for such a long time. Also a hassle to do proper maintenance on like replacing the thermal paste which really should be done in year 4 at the latest. Why a hassle? Their back panel is very easy to get broken when opening it

1 minute ago, Konrad_K said:

In my opinion there is much more to a laptop than the raw specs. The build quality, cooling, battery life keyboard and screen are equally if not more important. I do have some experience with some of the cheaper acer products (but not the Aspire 7), and I would advise against buying them. They are cheaper than the competition for a reason, they usually skimp on build quality. Some of my recommendations are more expensive Dell laptops (Precision or XPS), the current HP Envy lineup or ThinkPad's from Lenovo. All come with decent keyboards and good build quality.

I HIGHLY disagree with dells laptops as they have terrible cooling implementations that still go back to 2015 and are in no way enough. The build quality in their thinner laptops really leaves something to be desired as they aren't made to take some abuse and I doubt they'll see 7 years too.

Laptops I can confidently say should last the time are some of hp's current envy's if taken proper care of, their probook lineup, most of lenovo's thinkpads and some other laptops.