2D SNES-style RPG CrossCode that Linus recommended on sale for PS4/PS5

mgbeach

Was watching some old videos and on a stream Linus pretty much gushed over a game called CrossCode he had been playing.  I saw that it was on sale for $11.99 (normally $19.99) on the PS Store so I picked it up yesterday. I have to say I completely agree with Linus and can't recommend it highly enough! It's an homage to the great SNES-era JRPGs like FF7/8, Chrono Trigger, etc. and does a great job of invoking all the nostalgia I feel for those games. If you give it a shot I can pretty much guarantee you won't be disappointed. Here's where Linus talked about the game: 

I just neatly ordered my SNES-Games on my Desktop 😄 I'm free for another month and it's going to be an amazing adventure!

Thanks for you post then, because I'm definitely having a look at crosscode!

A little question aside: I've never played Chrono Trigger. Which version (SNES/PSX/NDS) would you recommend?

Screenshot_20210829_143636.jpeg

1 hour ago, Arokan said:

I just neatly ordered my SNES-Games on my Desktop 😄 I'm free for another month and it's going to be an amazing adventure!

A little question aside: I've never played Chrono Trigger. Which version (SNES/PSX/NDS) would you recommend?

I have a lot of nostalgia for the SNES version but the DS one really is better I think (although the music does suffer). Cheers!

As I get farther into the game I just have to recommend it even more! Great story, great mechanics, great music, great game!

On 8/29/2021 at 9:11 AM, Arokan said:

The DS version is supposed to have some extra content, but I haven't played it. Seems very well regarded by the fanbase though. The SNES original is brilliant, just played through it a couple of months ago for the first time in 25 years and it still holds up. Stay away from the PS1 version though, can't imagine adding load times to the game would be very fun.

Music for Chrono Trigger is incredible. They even had Tokyo's symphony orchestra play two songs from it in the Olympic opening ceremony in Tokyo earlier this month.

Love the SNES, currently playing the Super Famicom remaster of Dragon Quest 1 on my SNES Classic and am very tempted to pull the trigger on a MiSTer for NES / Famicom / Famicom Disk System, SNES / Super Famicom, PC Engine, Wonder Swan and some 80s and 90s arcade games.

16 hours ago, mgbeach said:

As I get farther into the game I just have to recommend it even more! Great story, great mechanics, great music, great game!

Looks pretty good and I love the genre. Will definitely put this on my Switch wishlist.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:44 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Love the SNES, currently playing the Super Famicom remaster of Dragon Quest 1 on my SNES Classic and am very tempted to pull the trigger on a MiSTer for NES / Famicom / Famicom Disk System, SNES / Super Famicom, PC Engine, Wonder Swan and some 80s and 90s arcade games.

Just saw a video about RMC's MiSTer project and it looks pretty slick: