Lenovo LEGION 5 Pro vs ASUS Zephyrus M16

Under $1600  

3 members have voted

1. 1. For gaming/coding and I do video editing as well!

• Legion 5 Pro (RTX 3060, 16GB ddr4 , 512GB ssd, AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H)
    • ASUS Zephyrus M16 ( RTX 3060,16gb ddr4, 1TB SSD, Intel Core i9 - 11th gen)

Hey guys! so  alitle back story. I'd be selling my gaming rig for roughly $1,100, Because I wouldn't be staying at home that much anymore. I'd be going to the States for the first time this october 4th. And I found out that having a laptop is really handy for me. I love playing games like warzone,apex and valorant(maybe some star citizen and tarkov) and I would also be using the laptop for school work and programming. So i'm tryna find that versality kind of a laptop. And it's Currently August 24 as of now and the buyer would come pick it up this Sunday(August 29). So I wanted to choose a good gaming laptop. Which one would you suggest between the two(or if you have anything else in mind that you can suggest)? Lenovo Legion 5 Pro or the MSI GF65 THIN? What i'm looking in a laptop is it has to be atleast 16gb of ram and have a spec of rtx 3060, 1 tb of space would be preferable.

I have a friend that owns a computer shop and currently has the MSI GF65 thin on his reach. With a specs of

CPU: Comet lake i5-10200H+HM470

GRAPHICS: RTX3060 Max-Q, GDDR6 6GB

WLAN + BT Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201(2*2 ax) + BT5.1 O.S. Windows10 Home

DISPLAY: 15.6" FHD (1920*1080), 144Hz IPS

MEMORY: 8GB DDR4 (3200MHz) STORAGE: 512GB NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 SSD (new)

CAMERA: HD type (30fps@720p)

KEYBOARD Single backlight KB(Red)

PORTS: 1x RJ45, 1x (4K @ 60Hz) HDMI, 2x Type-C USB3.2 Gen1, 2x Type-A USB3.2 Gen1

BATTERY: 3 cell , 51Whr Warranty 2 Year Warranty Term BUNDLE:

But the thing is. It's memory is 512gb of space and 8gb of ddr4, I requested if he could upgrade those specs to 1tb of space and 16gb of ram in total and he agreed. We both settled at a price of 72,000 pesos or $1414.66.

P.S I heard that this laptop has really bad cooling system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also did some digging and found the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro that has a RTX 3060, Ryzen 7 5800H and 16gb of DDR with a 512GB SSD.

But the problem with this Lenovo Legion 5 Pro is that there is none in stock within my reach. So If I wanted this. I would have to wait all the way to October (Which is roughly around a month) to have a laptop to be able to do school work and gaming.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN SHORT

Should I wait all the way to october 4th for the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro and sacrifice all my school work and do it all in my phone with a hassle? Or just get the MSI GF65 thin?

thank you for listening! Any replies would greatly help me with my journey of finding the perfect fit of a laptop for me! Thank you again

5 minutes ago, Wafaduck said:

i5-10200H

If you go for this you'll be getting a 4 core, 8 thread cpu, but the 5800H is an 8-core, 16 thread cpu.

If you can live with 4 cores (the bare minimum nowadays), then by all means go for the MSI one, but if you can wait a month, you'll be happier with the Legion. 

I personally have the Legion 5 from last year, with the 4800H and it's amazing! I do use all the 8 cores during production of video, encoding and exporting etc. so i do really appreciate the 4 extra cores and 8 extra threads over most Intel laptops in this price range.

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

9 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

If you go for this you'll be getting a 4 core, 8 thread cpu, but the 5800H is an 8-core, 16 thread cpu.

If you can live with 4 cores (the bare minimum nowadays), then by all means go for the MSI one, but if you can wait a month, you'll be happier with the Legion. 

I personally have the Legion 5 from last year, with the 4800H and it's amazing! I do use all the 8 cores during production of video, encoding and exporting etc. so i do really appreciate the 4 extra cores and 8 extra threads over most Intel laptops in this price range.

With the lenovo Legion 5 Pro. Do you think I can upgrade that to a 1tb version while still having the price of under 1500$? Not to mention hows the temperature and battery life?

Just now, Wafaduck said:

Do you think I can upgrade that to a 1tb version while still having the price of under 1500$

What is the price for the one your specs showed?

Just now, Wafaduck said:

hows the temperature and battery life

Temperatures are fine, better than the MSI one as far as i heard, Battery life is like that of all gaming laptops, what can help is Hybrid Mode enabled in the Lenovo Vantage toolbar, which is basically Optimus. Another advantage is the Lenovo supports first party OC-ing for your gpu if you care about that at all, so should your gpu get bricked even while OC-ing, Lenovo has got your back. 

Nother point is that Lenovo supports user-upgrades under warranty, i.e, should you upgrade your ram or storage by opening up your laptop, Lenovo still gives you warranty, not a lot of laptop manufacturers do that, so i don't know if MSI lets you do it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

3 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

What is the price for the one your specs showed?

Temperatures are fine, better than the MSI one as far as i heard, Battery life is like that of all gaming laptops, what can help is Hybrid Mode enabled in the Lenovo Vantage toolbar, which is basically Optimus. Another advantage is the Lenovo supports first party OC-ing for your gpu if you care about that at all, so should your gpu get bricked even while OC-ing, Lenovo has got your back. 

Nother point is that Lenovo supports user-upgrades under warranty, i.e, should you upgrade your ram or storage by opening up your laptop, Lenovo still gives you warranty, not a lot of laptop manufacturers do that, so i don't know if MSI lets you do it. 

Do you know how much would that cost in total if I want to upgrade the 8gb ddr4 to 16gb ddr4 and mantain the rtx 3060 and have atleast 1tb of ssd?

2 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/Legion-5-Pro-16ACH6H/p/WMD00000468 I saw this one right. and I wanted to choose the 1699 version. Since its rtx 3060. So I chose to add more ram so +8gb and add more storage space so instead of 512 gb itll be 1tb in total. It would cost me around about 1829$... So far out from my 1500$ budget. Do you think it would be cheaper if I just buy my own ssd and ram?

1 minute ago, Wafaduck said:

I wanted to choose the 1699 version

Isn't this already out of your budget?

Nevertheless, yes if you find the right ram and ssd it could be cheaper than paying the 1830 to Lenovo for it.

7 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

Isn't this already out of your budget?

Nevertheless, yes if you find the right ram and ssd it could be cheaper than paying the 1830 to Lenovo for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-Keyboard-Ethernet-Accessories/dp/B0988X5RJX?pd_rd_i=B0988X5RJX&psc=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=pcbuilder035-20&linkId=100f18d86194927417892a5b591cf3a2&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl So I found this one right. It's 512gb tho. Do you think it's a better option if I just buy another storage.? to make it 1tb and not to mention it'll be a lot cheaper than getting the 1899 version

2 minutes ago, Wafaduck said:

this plus this ssd looks pretty good!

26 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

this plus this ssd looks pretty good!

Hi! I don't really buy stuff on amazon and this one doesnt have that much reviews... Do you think the seller is legit?

GF65 is garbage, never buy

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

What I do:

Gaming

Coding

School Work

What I want

ATLEAST

• 16gb ddr4 3200 mhz
  • 1tb of space 
  • rtx 3060

Conclusion

Which one would you suggest if i'm on a budget of atleast 1,500$?

Without exact models it is harder to compare and explain, but generally speaking get Legion 5 pro because it:
has a higher power limit for the GPU, has a MUX switch, has a better display, has better build quality, exterior is made out of metal instead of plastics.

I own one, quite satisfied with the purchase.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Legion 5 Pro, no contest.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

23 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Without exact models it is harder to compare and explain, but generally speaking get Legion 5 pro because it:
has a higher power limit for the GPU, has a MUX switch, has a better display, has better build quality, exterior is made out of metal instead of plastics.

I own one, quite satisfied with the purchase.

Hi man! Is there a way for me to DM you personally? I have a question regarding about the legion 5 pro and since you own one. Would love to have your thoughts. Do you have discord?

4 minutes ago, Wafaduck said:

Hi man! Is there a way for me to DM you personally? I have a question regarding about the legion 5 pro and since you own one. Would love to have your thoughts. Do you have discord?

There is DM functionality here, on LTT forum heh. I'll send you one now.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

13 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

There is DM functionality here, on LTT forum heh. I'll send you one now.

I Dm'ed you btw

5 hours ago, Wafaduck said:

Hi! I don't really buy stuff on amazon and this one doesnt have that much reviews... Do you think the seller is legit?

Yup I think so, maybe you could contact and ask

6 hours ago, genexis_x said:

GF65 is garbage, never buy

What makes you say that?

46 minutes ago, Wafaduck said:

What makes you say that?

Worse in everything...cooling, performance, build etc...it belongs to garbage tier, not even entry level

Meanwhile Legion 5 Pro is mid range

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, genexis_x said:

Worse in everything...cooling, performance, build etc...it belongs to garbage tier, not even entry level

Meanwhile Legion 5 Pro is mid range

Do you have anything else to recommend? The Legion 5 Pro I want runs at 1,800$ when its 16gb ddr4 with rtx 3060. Any other laptop you can recommends thats 1500$ or below it?

46 minutes ago, Wafaduck said:

Do you have anything else to recommend? The Legion 5 Pro I want runs at 1,800$ when its 16gb ddr4 with rtx 3060. Any other laptop you can recommends thats 1500$ or below it?

Any links of online stores so that i can look through the options?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Any links of online stores so that i can look through the options?

Any works. Lazada, Amazon