RX 6600XT & i7 8700k live streaming Warzone. best OBS settings?

I have an i7 8700k and I recently purchased an RX 6600XT for a price that is inhumane price/performance (not the point right now lol) and when playing Warzone off-stream with particle settings on high, everything else on low, I get 130-175 fps. But when I stream using HVEC/AMD I get 90-100fps. My CPU usage was too high (80% to 95%)to stream with x264 at 6000 bitrate at 1080p 60fps. That was with just OBS and Warzone open. I couldn't open Chrome or iTunes for music without my PC lagging it's arse off, stream also lagging. So I went with HVEC/AMD at 720p60fps @6000 bitrate and that was when I was getting 90-100 fps.

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Lower the bitrate. You might also want to try with different sampling etc.

Though I'm bit curious on that CPU usage. It shouldn't be that high. How high it is without the game running or without streaming?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

Lower the bitrate. You might also want to try with different sampling etc.

Though I'm bit curious on that CPU usage. It shouldn't be that high. How high it is without the game running or without streaming?

i thought the bitrate was only based off of internet? usage without warzone open is about 3%, usage without streaming with warzone open is anywhere from 50%-60%

2 minutes ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

i thought the bitrate was only based off of internet?

It's both. Higher bitrate demands more from CPU. And uses more upload speed.

2 minutes ago, TTV BigRecoiilz said:

usage without warzone open is about 3%, usage without streaming with warzone open is anywhere from 50%-60%

Ah, yes. Warzone being the key issue. Start by lowering bitrate. Maybe to like 4500kbps and see how big effect is to quality vs fps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OBS is kinda difficult to set up properly, the CPU options dont work for me at all (without lag) even when the game has really low CPU usage - i think i tried as low as 4500kbps… but lets be honest its still miles better and less buggy than GFE or adrenaline (re-live) 

Here are the settings that work well for me, you just have to use the AMD equivalent to "NVENC" and lower bitrate accordingly, but the other stuff like "tuning" and "B frames" also makes a difference.

obs-stram1pngzrj4n.png.afd19b0a84c1fec94e7969efb9861d06.pngobs-stream2jaj4j.png.b45417bbd206408a0bbdd8ac9c740cc9.png

i mean no guarantee it works for you, but this is actually  my "perfomance" setting, especially the integer fps made a huge difference also.

And yeah, just leave resolution at 1080p, or if you want 720p, set it in "output", leave the canvas at 1080p anyways, in my experience changing canvas to anything but your native screen  resolution makes issues.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

change your Output... you should never be outputting 4k... Base should be the resolution you're screen is at and output is what you want the stream to see, so 1920x1080 or 1280x720 which is what you should be streaming at on a single PC.

AMD's encoder is poor and not the choice I would choose or recommend. You should stick with x264 CPU encoding at the output 1280x720p at 60 fps with about 3500-4000 bit rate. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

This might seem weird, but have you considered getting a dedicated card just for the encoding? You can find cheap old Quadros that do have NVENC on them - the K600 is only $25 used on eBay right now. It's not powerful enough for gaming, but it should do fine for streaming. You could put it in your system and then set OBS to use it for NVENC while leaving your RX 6600 XT and 8700K alone.

21 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

This might seem weird, but have you considered getting a dedicated card just for the encoding? You can find cheap old Quadros that do have NVENC on them - the K600 is only $25 used on eBay right now. It's not powerful enough for gaming, but it should do fine for streaming. You could put it in your system and then set OBS to use it for NVENC while leaving your RX 6600 XT and 8700K alone.

Holy sh** you can do that?? Is the encoder on the K600 good for 1080p 60fps or 720p 60fps @5000-6000 bitrate?

1 hour ago, BigRecoiilz said:

Holy sh** you can do that?? Is the encoder on the K600 good for 1080p 60fps or 720p 60fps @5000-6000 bitrate?

As long as you have a spare x16 slot, it should be a thing. Also, the card only draws 45W, all from the slot, but you should make sure you have enough PSU overhead for that.

I'm having trouble finding info about OBS specifically for that card, but I did find this sheet about NVENC for Plex servers and apparently the K600 is good for 78-220 fps H264 at 1080p, so I would think it can do it.

https://elpamsoft.com/downloads/nVidia NVENC NVDEC Matrix.pdf

As I've done more research, it's looking like using cards from 2 different manufacturers in the same computer is not recommended due to driver conflicts. Apparently, to do that properly, you're supposed to have a dedicated streaming PC for the second card. Do you have an old computer lying around that can act as a stream PC?

30 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

As long as you have a spare x16 slot, it should be a thing. Also, the card only draws 45W, all from the slot, but you should make sure you have enough PSU overhead for that.

I'm having trouble finding info about OBS specifically for that card, but I did find this sheet about NVENC for Plex servers and apparently the K600 is good for 78-220 fps H264 at 1080p, so I would think it can do it.

https://elpamsoft.com/downloads/nVidia NVENC NVDEC Matrix.pdf

I have 2 spare x8 slots. Would that be alright? And I overclocked my 8700k to 5GHz and as you know I have a 6600XT slightly overclocked. The psu I have is a Corsair SF600 (600 watt 80+ Gold). Would I have headroom for another 45+ watts?

6 minutes ago, BigRecoiilz said:

I have 2 spare x8 slots. Would that be alright? And I overclocked my 8700k to 5GHz and as you know I have a 6600XT slightly overclocked. The psu I have is a Corsair SF600 (600 watt 80+ Gold). Would I have headroom for another 45+ watts?

As I said above, on further research, it looks like running a card from the other manufacturer in the same system can lead to driver conflicts, so it's not recommended. Apparently, if you want to use an Nvidia card for encoding when you have an AMD GPU, you're supposed to run it in a dedicated streaming PC.

If you happen to have a spare computer, you could upgrade it with that card, but otherwise this apparently isn't as good of an idea as I'd initially thought.