[Advice] Replacing the Themral Compund/Pads

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
Just now, CoolCatCallum said:

I am mainly wanting to do a deep clean of the graphics card.

from experience, just get a paint brush and some canned air. it's not worth the hassle.

I am currently interested in changing my themral compund and thermal pads on my Gigabyte GTX 1080 Turbo OC.

I looked all over YouTube but for the life of me I can't find any tear down of this video card. Is there anything I need to keep in mind while taking my video card apart?

For removing the thermal compound I am planning using Noctua NA-CW1.

For Thermal compound I am going use Noctua NT-H1.

Looking for recommendations on thermal pads.

Thanks for help. Forgive the weird formatting typed this post on mobile.

24 minutes ago, CoolCatCallum said:

I am currently interested in changing my themral compund and thermal pads on my Gigabyte GTX 1080 Turbo OC.

I looked all over YouTube but for the life of me I can't find any tear down of this video card. Is there anything I need to keep in mind while taking my video card apart?

For removing the thermal compound I am planning using Noctua NA-CW1.

For Thermal compound I am going use Noctua NT-H1.

Looking for recommendations on thermal pads.

Thanks for help. Forgive the weird formatting typed this post on mobile.

General conventional wisdom is if you want to replace the thermal pads on a gpu the thickness and minimal original thermal conductivity of the original pads is key. If the pads are too thick they may keep the rest of the cooler from connecting, and if they’re too thin they may not reach. More conductivity is generally fine, but less can cause problems. Thermal pads are measured in fractional millimeters so a micrometer is commonly used to measure them as the thickness is often not published.  If the cooler is a reference coooler specifics may not be published as they will be the same for all reference cards.  The cooler may still be custom though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

any particular reason for wanting to replace the thermal compound and pads?

there's really no reason to, if you're not going to disassemble the card for another reason.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

any particular reason for wanting to replace the thermal compound and pads?

there's really no reason to, if you're not going to disassemble the card for another reason.

Just now, CoolCatCallum said:

from experience, just get a paint brush and some canned air. it's not worth the hassle.