Possible to recover this RX 480 GPU? MOFSET burnt

StatikSA

It looks like the MOFSET burnt along with the board, i had a GPU riser on it and i put my PC on without plugging it into PCIe power only 8 pin and a small fireball came in that area. It might have shorted, its a DATALAND RX 480 8GB thanks

I am scared to plug it in to any of my PC's again

I think it is toast for sure though

6d7bc11d-45b3-4a92-b946-0de50923a8e2.jfif 0d5d5eea-e3a3-496d-8025-7ea2be97f206.jfif

Sadly, it is unlikely that it is saveable unless you are experienced with SMD soldering (GPUs aren’t through hole anymore). However, it may be worth trying - look up the model number of the mosfets next to it and replace it with one of those.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Sadly, it is unlikely that it is saveable unless you are experienced with SMD soldering (GPUs aren’t through hole anymore). However, it may be worth trying - look up the model number of the mosfets next to it and replace it with one of those.

Maybe also one of those fuses that covered by melted copper.  Looks like a big job.  Not sure where that melted shit even came from.  A common way to deal with stuff like this if you don’t know how to fix it is to sell it on eBay as broken.  A person who does know will buy it, fix it, and resell it as refurbished.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If you have a soldering iron, you could try gettng some desoldering wick to suck up all the loose metal. If so, I would go into it thinking that the GPU is already lost. Buy a cheap $30 soldering iron and see what happens. But whatever caused that initially if not fixed will likely just happen again even if you replace that broken part.

Just now, StatikSA said:

Thanks all, will keep it as a display piece haha

GPU's are basically rare art pieces now ngl, being the whole market is wack XD

2 hours ago, StatikSA said:

Thanks all, will keep it as a display piece haha

It is some pretty impressive meltage.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.