Building a 'Boominator' for a festival (Roskilde Festival)

XzzDSA

Okay, so We've almost finished it... It needs the paint - but that's about it :)

MWaB7cG.png

Also, a little help over here would be nice: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/169843-driver-break-in-and-speaker-cabinet-questions/

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.. So I've gotten some experience...

Right now I'm writing this post as the festival is underway - I've gotten some internet and thought I'd take advantage of it before the Rolling Stones take stage before Thursday! :D (can't wait)

Anyways..

So We've broken atleast one of the two speakers.. Well.. I went to my bed early last night and my camp threw the thing at a 100% the whole time and woke up to a bit of claping from the speakers...

Not too bad, could be worse!

So from my new experience I know that the units needs to be more capeable than the amp.. Well, atleast little bit!

My questions consist of the following for next years Roskilde Festival:

What kind of limbo nation should I go with to go comfortable over 100db's at 1-2 meters?

At this point money ain't a factor - I just want to know what I need to know! :)

As a last point a I'm pretty satisfied as how my current setup plays (until it gets too warm under passive cooling) - so far thank you for all of the help I've gotten!

Have a good one and I'll talk to you a lot more intelligently next week when I'm not drunk' :D

- Cool right?

Limbo nation means driver setup btw (auto correct ftw)

- Cool right?

What kind of an amp did you use? For 100db at 1-2m even the current setup should be enough, if the amp was a low power amp it is likely that clipping from the amp killed the speaker. In that case you would just need a more powerful amplifier.

Okay... So a little update is in order!

We've been VERY satisfied with the speaker setup.
It's been working great, all week.. Unfortunally it broke for no apparent reason on the final night.

We left our speaker in working order, to go watch some concerts.. But when we came home, the speaker wouldn't play any music.
Everything lights up but no sound...
Might be because someone came by and switched the current the worng way and burned the amp...

Anyways... WE HAVE NEW PLANS!

We want bigger and better for next year.

We are looking at 4 woofers, facing the same way.

A dedicated sub.

And off some more tweeters.

What should I look for?

I'm thinking a few more of the same woofers (p.audio's.)

Follow this link to my new topic: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/178617-building-bigger-and-better-speaker-system-for-outdoors/.

- Cool right?

You've build the speaker cabinet just like the original design right?

Apparently not, that's your problem.

Then I'm almost certain that it's the amp that causes your problems. With the right amp the Boominator will be deafeningly loud.

Build it exactly to spec. You could break up your current 'Boominator' and built a Halfinator with it (half a boominator).

Don't do the things you stated above, but I've explained some more in your other thread.

You've build the speaker cabinet just like the original design right?

Apparently not, that's your problem.

Then I'm almost certain that it's the amp that causes your problems. With the right amp the Boominator will be deafeningly loud.

Build it exactly to spec. You could break up your current 'Boominator' and built a Halfinator with it (half a boominator).

Don't do the things you stated above, but I've explained some more in your other thread.

Yeah... I'll talk over with my friends wether we wonna build a proper boominator this time around, or if we wonna go absolutely nuts with horns and shit :)

I'll return with whatever we decide to do :)

- Cool right?

Build a proper boominator. To get the same output with horns you get a HUGE setup.

It'll blow anything away that you'll 'design' on your own. If you want to go nuts you can make a Cubo15 sub to go with it.

You can always decide on that later since it's not necessary, it has good bass performance on its own.

You already have the parts, only get some new wood and maybe a new amp.

I´ll be happy to guide you in the process, you could also post in the thread on DIYaudio