LG IPS Screen fade to black issue

Exaco
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

To me, this looks like a display fading issue. The display needs to be sent for repair if it is still under warranty.

Cable issue would just turn off or show static or artifacts.

Sadly, I don't know if it is the panel the issue, or a capacitor issue (which might be in the display power supply).

A different input might use a different circuity path and might resolve the issue.

Hi there,

Any ideas what could be causing this? The screen is connected to a Laptop via HDMI but then after some time starts to fade to black.

Is it issue with the screen itself ( dead capacitor, dying matrix etc ) or it's more likely cable/power/laptop issue?

Model & Specs

Does this happen in extended desktop mode?

Looks like something failing in the display to me.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

7 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Does this happen in extended desktop mode?

Looks like something failing in the display to me.

Can't really test it because it's friend's, but logically there should be no difference which mode it is connected to. So lets assume yes it does.

But it's also Windows 11, not sure if that could cause this issue. To me it just looks odd, the display itself is technically working ( for a period of time ).

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

Can't really test it because it's friend's, but logically there should be no difference which mode it is connected to. So lets assume yes it does.

Well I just figured it's the easiest trouble shooting step, if your laptop screen is fine and this is happening on the monitor while hooked up, chances are it's the monitor, and a hardware issue at that. Specifically what, couldn't say. I would say with a fair amount of confidence that it's broken.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

To me, this looks like a display fading issue. The display needs to be sent for repair if it is still under warranty.

Cable issue would just turn off or show static or artifacts.

Sadly, I don't know if it is the panel the issue, or a capacitor issue (which might be in the display power supply).

A different input might use a different circuity path and might resolve the issue.