AIO recommendations

Finnegan

So I'm building a new pc, and the next part I have to add to the list is the aio, no real budget, so ig I'm just looking for top of the line lol

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!
What CPU are you cooling? Depends on how much heat it puts out which cooler you need. 

My current plan is to get an i9-11900k, so it's going to get slightly warm in there to say the least

Just now, tkitch said:

what CPU?  Are you overclocking?  What Case?

Corsair 7000D airflow case
i9-11900k cpu

Just now, Finnegan said:

My current plan is to get an i9-11900k, so it's going to get slightly warm in there to say the least

Unless you’ve already bought a motherboard I wouldn’t recommend one of those, I would wait for next gen Intel or get a Ryzen 9 5900 or something. For that, I’d recommend a 360 or even 480 rad if you insist on i9 11th gen.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Unless you’ve already bought a motherboard I wouldn’t recommend one of those, I would wait for next gen Intel or get a Ryzen 9 5900 or something. For that, I’d recommend a 360 or even 480 rad if you insist on i9 11th gen.

I was planning on getting the 11900k due to the high clock speeds, which minecraft is really based on

while I might wait for the 7nm tech, I don't think it will change what cooler I should choose

here's the cooler that caught my eye though https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WP6M7P7?tag=girgammal-20&geniuslink=true

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

I was planning on getting the 11900k due to the high clock speeds, which minecraft is really based on

while I might wait for the 7nm tech, I don't think it will change what cooler I should choose

here's the cooler that caught my eye though https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WP6M7P7?tag=girgammal-20&geniuslink=true

You’ll want a bigger one, with 3 or 4 fans, for stable boosts on that CPU. I think there’s a liquid freezer 360.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

You’ll want a bigger one, with 3 or 4 fans, for stable boosts on that CPU. 

wait, there's coolers with 4 fans? Thought they only went up to 3

Do not bother unless you are looking to overclock or you are looking for extreme silence

Aios will only last around 3-5 years wheras an air cooler will basically last forever as long as it doesnt corrode and you swap the fans if they do die

Aios are also expensive, but thats only when you are looking at those overpriced aios like the nzxt z series or those corsair aios, which will most likely still be beaten by the liquid freezer series of aios from arctic anyways

And when the pump dies that aio is done for

Then aios also

Good for cpu socket clearence so if you ever have to work around the socket or have insanely tall rams you dont need to worry about clearence

If you get a really good aio like the liquid freezer aios from arctic, they can beat top of the line air coolers such as the d15, the 280mm version of the liquid freezer beats the d15 whilst being quieter

Etc.

Aios are justifiable if you

Overclock

Want extreme silence

Cpu socket clearence

Sff build

Etc.

They arent justified if you

Are purely buying them for asthetic reasons and do not care whatsoever on ocing or any other benifits of an aio, which only gives you the downsides of aios and none of the benifits, plus you can just buy an rgb air cooler anyways

If you meet the justified criteria, id suggest the liquid freezer series of aios, very good aios and the bigger ones will prob obliterate most top end air coolers considering the 280mm version beats a d15

If you dont meet the justified criteria then just buy an rgb air cooler, maybe look at the aerocool cylon or something like that if youd like rgb but dont need the cooling performance of an aio

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Do not bother unless you are looking to overclock or you are looking for extreme silence

Aios will only last around 3-5 years wheras an air cooler will basically last forever as long as it doesnt corrode and you swap the fans if they do die

Aios are also expensive, but thats only when you are looking at those overpriced aios like the nzxt z series or those corsair aios, which will most likely still be beaten by the liquid freezer series of aios from arctic anyways

And when the pump dies that aio is done for

Then aios also

Good for cpu socket clearence so if you ever have to work around the socket or have insanely tall rams you dont need to worry about clearence

If you get a really good aio like the liquid freezer aios from arctic, they can beat top of the line air coolers such as the d15, the 280mm version of the liquid freezer beats the d15 whilst being quieter

Etc.

Aios are justifiable if you

Overclock

Want extreme silence

Cpu socket clearence

Sff build

Etc.

They arent justified if you

Are purely buying them for asthetic reasons and do not care whatsoever on ocing or any other benifits of an aio, which only gives you the downsides of aios and none of the benifits, plus you can just buy an rgb air cooler anyways

If you meet the justified criteria, id suggest the liquid freezer series of aios, very good aios and the bigger ones will prob obliterate most top end air coolers considering the 280mm version beats a d15

If you dont meet the justified criteria then just buy an rgb air cooler, maybe look at the aerocool cylon or something like that if youd like rgb but dont need the cooling performance of an aio

I do plan on overclocking, and I would definitely prefer a more quiet cooler than the noctua one in my other pc

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

There is… quite hard to find though. For 4 fans often you just need to go custom hardline.

Or you could just go soft tubing so assembling and upgrading isnt a massive pain in the ass

Ive also considered custom water but purely just to overclock the sht out of my poor cpus, but seems like it isnt very cost effective in my use case so ah well ill just zip tie a brick of a cooler on my cpu

All i know is custom water will allow you to swap any of the parts in the loop so if yiur pump dies you can just swap it out, though assembling, repairs, and upgrading can be a pain in the ass, especially hardline since you literally have to bend tubes to  assemble, disassemble/upgrade it

6 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

There is… quite hard to find though. For 4 fans often you just need to go custom hardline.

would 3 fans probably be enough?

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I do plan on overclocking, and I would definitely prefer a more quiet cooler than the noctua one in my other pc

Ok

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Corsair 7000D airflow case
i9-11900k cpu

The cpu is pretty crap since its just an 8 core and basically just a binned 11700k, so maybe go for an 11700k + z4/590 tomahawk or unify

The case is very expensive so id suggest going for an enthoo pro and having a bottom to top airflow with the aio being the exhaust cause if im not mistaken the preffered orientation for an aio is up casue heat naturally goes up or something like that

With an enthoo pro you can fit a liquid freezer 420 aio on top

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ok

The cpu is pretty crap since its just an 8 core and basically just a binned 11700k, so maybe go for an 11700k + z4/590 tomahawk or unify

The case is very expensive so id suggest going for an enthoo pro and having a bottom to top airflow with the aio being the exhaust cause if im not mistaken the preffered orientation for an aio is up casue heat naturally goes up or something like that

With an enthoo pro you can fit a liquid freezer 420 aio on top

current motherboard plan was the z490 e gaming one

and the reason I was going for 11900k is that it has slightly higher clock speeds, and the game I play (minecraft) is apparently really based on single-threaded performance

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, that’s good!

thanks for your help!

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

and the reason I was going for 11900k is that it has slightly higher clock speeds, and the game I play (minecraft) is apparently really based on single-threaded performance

Eh, 11700k and 11900k will perform similarly even when overclocked so id suggest saving some money and going for the 11700k instead

Plus the cpu cooler is pretty beefy so i guess you can get some pretty good overclocks, try 5.3ghz+ single or 2 core overclock, this will benifit minecraft since its single threaded, although i dont suggest going any higher than 1.45v unless you can keep your cpu under 80c, id say max is the intel spec voltage, which is 1.52v

16 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Eh, 11700k and 11900k will perform similarly even when overclocked so id suggest saving some money and going for the 11700k instead

Plus the cpu cooler is pretty beefy so i guess you can get some pretty good overclocks, try 5.3ghz+ single or 2 core overclock, this will benifit minecraft since its single threaded, although i dont suggest going any higher than 1.45v unless you can keep your cpu under 80c, id say max is the intel spec voltage, which is 1.52v

ig if you haven't noticed I'm not going to have cash moneys after this

to give an idea here's what my plans look like so far

Screenshot (168).png
total cost is around $8,000

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

ig if you haven't noticed I'm not going to have cash moneys after this

to give an idea here's what my plans look like so far

Screenshot (168).png

Ooof

Only good thing there is the aio

The board is very expensive and very much overkill unless you are extreme overclocking (6ghz+), id suggest a z4/590 tomahawk or unify mobo, the tomahawk has a 14 phase vrm and the unify has a 16 phase vrm

64gb of ram is completely uneccesary unless you are doing productivity workloads, id say 32gb tops is what youd prob need cause futureproofing and heavily modded mc can consume quite alot of ram, ballistix is actually pretty good cause cl16 so good choice on the rams themselves though the capacity is wayyy overkill

3090 is basically a workstation gpu unless you are gaming at 8k, id say 3080ti tops if you arr just gaming

Holy crap that psu is ridicolously overkill, like i guess if you wanted your psu to last a decade id go for an hxi 1200w platinum psu cause that 1600w will prob degrade long before youll even be able to use its full potential

If you are getting a w10 oem key get it from sites like scdkey, they are usually 20$ and some youtubers even have promo codes, like tech yes city

7000d is wayyy too expensive, enthoo pro will do you just fine and its only 100$ even though its a full tower case

970 evo has already been superceeded by faster or cheaper ssds at this point, go for the mushkin pilot e 2tb ssd, decent speeds, and also has dram cache

Im not really sure on the monitor since thats not my thing, so just leave it for someone else to tell you if its any good or not

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ooof

The board is very expensive and very much overkill unless you are extreme overclocking (6ghz+), id suggest a z4/590 tomahawk or unify mobo, the tomahawk has a 14 phase vrm and the unify has a 16 phase vrm

64gb of ram is completely uneccesary unless you are doing productivity workloads, id say 32gb tops is what youd prob need cause futureproofing and heavily modded mc can consume quite alot of ram, ballistix is actually pretty good cause cl16 so good choice on the rams themselves though the capacity is wayyy overkill

3090 is basically a workstation gpu unless you are gaming at 8k, id say 3080ti tops if you arr just gaming

Holy crap that psu is ridicolously overkill, like i guess if you wanted your psu to last a decade id go for an hxi 1200w platinum psu cause that 1600w will prob degrade long before youll even be able to use its full potential

If you are getting a w10 oem key get it from sites like scdkey, they are usually 20$ and some youtubers even have promo codes, like tech yes city

7000d is wayyy too expensive, enthoo pro will do you just fine and its only 100$ even though its a full tower case

970 evo has already been superceeded by faster or cheaper ssds at this point, go for the mushkin pilot e 2tb ssd, decent speeds, and also has dram cache

Im not really sure on the monitor since thats not my thing, so just leave it for someone else to tell you if its any good or not

I mean, I get that 3080ti is close, but I almost feel like it'd be wrong to not pay an extra $300 on top of what is already $7,000 for the bragging rights

also I do plan on seeing how high I can clock it, the higher, the better

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ooof

also that mushkin ssd has literally no cache according to pcpartpicker

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, I get that 3080ti is close, but I almost feel like it'd be wrong to not pay an extra $300 on top of what is already $7,000 for the bragging rights

Oh god no, that mindset will lead you down the path of overspending on sht youll never even be able to use

300$ sounds small compared to 7000$ but when you consider getting a cheaper cpu, mobo, ram, psu, etc, it adds up alot, and by swapping to what i reccomend you will be able to keep your performance but prob save around 1000$ or more

Then you can just save the extra money for other things like peripherals or just have it saved up for emergencies